Author Topic: Cabbage Casserole  (Read 5137 times)

pamsway

• View Profile
    • Email
Cabbage Casserole
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:14:35 PM »
My niece gave me this recipe. Would you tell me what you think? I just got thru baking this. My husband said it is good. So please let me know how carb friendly it is.

Cabbage Casserole

1 to 1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup green bell pepper
1 can 14 oz diced tomatoes (I bought delmonte - has 2 carbs per 1/2 cup serving)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 head of cabbage
3/4 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese

Directions:

Brown ground beef, onion, and bell pepper until ground beef is done, drain, stir in tomatoes, salt and garlic powder. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Boil cabbage wedges in small amount of water covered for about 10 minutes and drain well.

Lightly butter a 9" baking dish (I used a 8 1/2 x 11). Place cabbage in dish and pour beef mixture over and around cabbage . Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over cabbage casserole and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

shawn116

Re: Cabbage Casserole
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
Fantastic recipe Pam!   :D  Thanks so much for sharing!  It reminds me of a good old fashioned cabbage roll in casserole style.  You will find a list of carb counts for veggies in Doug's book that list them in 1/2 cup servings.  Or you can use the link to check your ingredients http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/  It's a site I frequent often.  FYI though when the Gov shut down last year....so did the site  Haha  I thought that was so silly!  It's not like they pay someone to send you the information....its a data base for goodness sakes   :-\  Anyway I hope this helps   ;)

Cabbage Casserole

1 to 1 1/2 lb ground beef  = 0 net carbs
1/2 cup chopped onion  = 5 net carbs
1/2 cup green bell pepper = 3 net carbs
1 can 14 oz diced tomatoes (I bought delmonte - has 2 carbs per 1/2 cup serving)  = 7 net carbs (14oz can usually has 3.5 servings)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder = 2 net carbs
1 head of cabbage = (lets say you get 4 cups chopped) = 12 net carbs 1.5 net carbs per 1/2 cup
3/4 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese (assuming you shredded your own or your package reads 0 carb) = 0 net carb

Directions:

Brown ground beef, onion, and bell pepper until ground beef is done, drain, stir in tomatoes, salt and garlic powder. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Boil cabbage wedges in small amount of water covered for about 10 minutes and drain well.

Lightly butter a 9" baking dish (I used a 8 1/2 x 11). Place cabbage in dish and pour beef mixture over and around cabbage . Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over cabbage casserole and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

If you add all of them up you get 29 net carb for the whole dish.  So about 5 net per serving if you get 6 servings out of it.   ;D ;D

pamsway

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
Thanks for the carb count. I had loaned out my book to my niece. When I made the recipe, I didn't add the onion. I know it doesn't make that much of a difference but I just didn't want the onion.

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »
Yep! Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls - looks yummy!  Going to make this next week.  Thanks for the recipe!

pamsway

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:05:46 PM »
Your welcome Kim P. I am still new at this and need all the help I can get. As I said in another post I am craving my snickers candy bars. Got any suggestions.  :)

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 11:56:22 PM »
When I made the recipe, I didn't add the onion. I know it doesn't make that much of a difference but I just didn't want the onion.

Hey that's 5 whole carbs  :D  I'm stingy with mine so I can have wiggle room at the end of the day  Haha  Everyone counts  ;)   I often skip onions in recipes just for that reason. 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »
... As I said in another post I am craving my snickers candy bars. Got any suggestions.  :)

Hi, Pam! :)

Look for Russell Stover sugar free candies in your local grocers.
They have a VERY wide variety of milk and dark chocolate candies.

And if you're a Reese's Peanut Butter Cups fan, they make a sugar free version.

One word of caution about SF candies, they contain sugar alcohols (sweeteners)
that can raise the dickens with the lower GI tract (gas and frequent bathroom visits).

This is why many of us use FTS Zero in our recipes. It has no sugar alcohols. 8)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:12:16 AM »
Lovely recipe Pam ;) There are plenty of candy recipes in the Fat to Skinny Bakery book if you dont have it I will post some for you :)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 01:56:45 PM »
I like the ChocoRite bars by HealthSmart.  I buy them through Netrition.com.  Of course like all low carb chocolates they have sugar alcohols.  But these contain only 6 grams of sugar alcohols per serving, compared to 16-20 g.  They also contain 8 g of dietary fiber and have 1 net carb per bar.   I find that they impact my stomach less than other sf candies.

The fact that they are a little bit on the expensive side, and that I have to order them rather than being able to run out and get them on a whim does help me to limit me to eating them as an occasional treat rather than a regular item. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »
I havent tried them yet Mark,I think it was sticker shock! :D I have a wicked sweet tooth.