Author Topic: Just a couple of questions  (Read 7228 times)

derkaderka

• View Profile
    • Email
Just a couple of questions
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »
I recently bought the book and I'm not that far into it but I need some assistance here.  First, (I probably just haven't got to this point in the book yet, but as of right now its hard with work) how many carbs do I need to take in to begin with and what about portion control because at times I'm still hungry.  I'm a big guy, ranging around 400 lbs probably and I have tried all kinds of things, I counted calories but still remained hungry and all that stuff.  If I could get some assistance I'm going to throw myself into this program and make it work.  I'm 28 and ready to get healthy.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:32:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum!   You will find that everyone here is so friendly and helpful!   As for the number of carbs, we eat no more than 20 net carbs per day.  We subract fiber grams and sugar alcohol grams (artificial sweeteners) from the total carbs in any food to find the net carbs.  I am sure some of the other folks will chime in to give you more advice.  However, as for being hungry, you will find that eating low carb & low sugar is very satisfying!  Once you get past the detox from sugar, you are going to feel GREAT!  So glad you found FTS!!!    ;D           

joagain

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:08:57 AM »
JUst what Jan said  ;D ,You will be kinda of hungry until detox passes for some it is 3 days for thers it is weeks . Just dont get discouarged if you are hungry eat something that does not have carbs in it to get you through . You will find all the carbs is what causes the vicious cycle of hunger .

Just stick with it !!!!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »
Welcome to the party Derkaderka  ;D It's important for you to finish reading so you are in control of your decisions.  Maddysmom is correct, your total net carbs need to be 20 or less per day, here's the link to the portion control post- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=233.0   Also click this link for 5 rules to success- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1072.0

Don't worry, we gotcha  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »
Welcome derkaderka! I am umpa,dougs wife if  I can help you please ask. :) I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite recipes to fat to skinny friendly. Read the book,half is recipes.Then jump right in! You will experience detox for about two weeks,then you will feel like a million dollars when the cravings go away! We are all here for you.All questions are good questions! :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »
Welcome to the family, derkaderka! :) :) :) :) :) :)

We are here to help each other succeed in this lifestyle.
We truly do care about one another!... And that means YOU too! :)

You will find honest and helpful discussion here at this forum to help you stay on track with FTS.
So far, you've received some fabulous advice to help you get started.

We're looking forward to hearing more from you as your FTS journey continues!

So remember, if you ever need us... We're here!!!

Tony
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:06:00 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family!!! It's really helpful to have protein in the fridge for when you are hungry especially while going through all of that carb withdrawal!!! Mine took about 2 weeks...I'm very rarely hungry now!! If you're short on time, just run by the grocery store on the way home and pick up a rotissorie (sp?) chicken, just make sure that you don't get barbeque or the kinds that have added carbs, I usually choose the italian herb! After eating dinner, just put the leftovers in the fridge and voila instant FTS snack!!!

Can't wait to hear about all of your successes!!!!  :D

Rena

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »
Welcome and good luck!

Mimzy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 11:47:54 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family!  Make sure you drink plenty of water, you will find that it really helps.

I wish you much success! ;)

derkaderka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »
wow, I'm down 9 lbs and I'm not hungry already.  Though I always worry that I'm not going to lose weight because I'm never hungry and I eat good.  Still battling with the portion control but its good so far!

Rena

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »
Congrats! :)

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »
Congrats on the 9 LBS!!!  That is great!   :D :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 07:19:44 PM »
wow, I'm down 9 lbs and I'm not hungry already.  Though I always worry that I'm not going to lose weight because I'm never hungry and I eat good.  Still battling with the portion control but its good so far!

HOORAY derkaderka!!! :) :) :)
Wow!...  Nine pounds!... You're off to a fantastic start!!! ;D ;D ;D

Portion control can be a tough thing to conquer during your first few weeks in this lifestyle.
But as I'm sure you know, it's every bit as important as watching your daily net carb intake.

Here are two things Doug has suggested to help with it, and they work!

(1) Use smaller plates. The average dinner plate should be about 9" in diameter. Most out there are closer to 11".
A smaller plate helps your mind adjust to correctly sized portions.

(2) Split you meals in half. Eat one half and wait 15 minutes to see if you're still hungry.
If you are, go ahead and have more. And if not... well, you know the answer! ;)

And one from me... (3) Drink a LARGE glass of plain COLD water immediately before you start to eat.
It will take some space in your stomach and, thereby, help you eat much less.
I also drink water during the meal.
Water is a BIG help to weight loss!
What you do today is what matters!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 08:19:20 AM »
Way to go!  You will LOVE this lifestyle!   ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 10:01:58 AM »
Great start derkaderka! Jan you are doing so great! 80 pounds I am so happy for you!!! ;D