Author Topic: luv fruits and veggies  (Read 5328 times)

nardia34

• View Profile
luv fruits and veggies
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
I am skeptical about starting fat to skinny because its like the Atkins diet. i did some years ago after i had my second child lost 25lbs but gained it back. i saw your program  on 700 club and felt hope again. However when i got the book and realize it was a low carb, i lost hope. i love  all types of fruit and veggies, the diet requires me to give that up until i have lost all 60lbs! I have not started for my failure to be disappointed again. i want to do this because my 18 year old is 200lbs and i do not want to start her on yo yo dieting, i want to lose the weight  and maintain it so she can see , she cam do it as well. Where do I start?

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
Re: luv fruits and veggies
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »
 8) i am looking at the book right now and see a long list of low sugar veggies that are permitted  :) fruits not so much only fresh/frozen berries & avocados!!! bottom line sugar makes you fat,this differs from Atkins because Doug & umpa have provided "substitute foods" that are either low sugar or sugar free :o and i am one of many folks that are sooooo thankful for both of them!!!!!  everyone on the forum is here to support one and other..we are all on a quest for HEALTH and this forum/FTS lifestyle has been a godsend for me :D and i am sure UMPA and or DOUG will address your predicament today..till than please don't close your mind to the lifestyle(not diet) change>> i think UMPA has some fruit flavored items that may be right up your alley!!!>>Gary ;)

owensmath

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 02:13:23 PM »
I disagree with the statement that you have to give up fruits and veggies. You have to choose carefully, but we all are eating fruits and veggies. The greener the better with veggies, but I've learned about new vegetables since starting this lifestyle. I had never heard of jicama or choyote squash for example. I eat strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and kiwi fruit. I have a salad every day. I've had artichoke, cauliflower, cucumber, tomato, and other vegetables just in the last few days.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »
The comments above are right on, it's all about choices. Have you ever had bread made with flax seed flour, or almond meal or biscuits made from pork rinds? Have you ever enjoyed blackberry cobbler made with hazelnut flour topped with reddi whip? These are the things that make FAT TO SKINNY so much different from Atkins or any other low carb program.....we replace EVERYTHING :) Now with that all said I want to remind you what you've told us, the last time you went on a low carb diet you lost 25 pounds. Why did you gain it back?? Simple because you went back to eating COW food. Hop in both feet and quit worrying, everyone here will show you the way to long term life long weight loss  :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »
Welcome Nardia! :) Everyone is right.At Fat to Skinny its not about removing foods its about replacing them.Diets don't work, this is a lifestyle change.Don't quit before you start what do you have to lose?(besides weight? ;D)
i have a column called ask umpa on the homepage where i will help you convert your favorite recipes.We also have a recipe section that is 4 or 5 pages long and growing everyday! The latest favorites are peanut butter cookies and potatoe salad...YUMMY!We are here for you, we are all in the same boat! Be brave grab a oar and start rowing! ;)

Novoflux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 03:04:08 PM »
I love apples and all berries, how exactly to you substitute those? Cuz that's harsh man! I would rather each a handfull of raspberries than potato chips any day.

owensmath

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »
You don't substitute them, you just count the carbs into your total of 20 for the day. I eat blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries.

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »
I eat fruits and veggies all the time.. Its all about choosing the right fruits and veggies... This is a great program that teaches you to eat healthier without feeling deprieved...  If you start with a negative outlook, you will not get a positive result...

Also its about eating in moderation... Give it a try, you will like it..

best of luck....
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »
I love apples and all berries, how exactly to you substitute those? Cuz that's harsh man! I would rather each a handfull of raspberries than potato chips any day.

Hi Novoflux! :)

I agree with Alex and owensmath!
It's all about choices, portion sizes, and keeping track of your daily net carb intake.
So enjoy your berries. Just pay attention to how many carbs your eating.

I too used to LOVE apples and ate them constantly. So I know how you feel.
But sadly, apples are extremely high in fructose (fruit sugar). That's what makes apple juice so very sweet.
One small Red Delicious apple has about 30 net carb grams. :o :o :o
The more tart apples have a bit less. But they still are very high.

I've simply removed apples from my menu.
Because I'm enjoying so many other wonderful and delicious fruits and veggies, I really don't miss them.

After you've reached your goal and are learning your new carb tolerance level, you MAY find that you can enjoy an apple once in a while without weight gain.
Or have part of an apple and not eat any other carbs that day. But I believe that's a "wait and see" proposition.
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 08:05:45 AM »
If you want a apple have it.Nothing is forbidden.You have 20 carbs to spend if you want to spend them on a apple,enjoy. ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 08:06:53 AM »
If you want a apple have it.Nothing is forbidden.You have 20 carbs to spend if you want to spend them on a apple,enjoy. ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 05:53:32 PM »

Hi Umpa! ;)

Since apples are so high in net carbs (i.e. sugar), can they not invoke an "insulin response" which is how we get FAT in the first place?

I make a point to avoid all high carb foods because if I have any, it will stop my weight loss cold (or even gain).

I say this because I've personally experienced this more than once in my journey.
That's why I thought apples are best left for the weight maintenance portion of the FTS journey... I know they are for me!
What you do today is what matters!

owensmath

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/applecarbcount.htm

Apples are moderately high in sugar, but small amounts can be part of a low-carb diet. Use them in muffins or as a part of other foods (see recipes below).
Carbohydrate and Fiber Counts for Apples
•½ cup chopped apple: 7 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1.5 grams fiber and 32 calories.
•1 medium apple (3 inches in diameter): 21 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 4.5 grams fiber and 95 calories.

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »
20 carbs go a long way. Just pick what you want to use them on and you'll do fine. Personally I'm addicted to broccoli, eat it almost everyday. I just leave my four carbs in there for a huge helping at dinner and all is good. You just have to pick and choose where to use your carbs  and go for it, it's really that simple.
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

joagain

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 08:41:26 PM »
Sherrie how do you cook your broccoli ? Do you eat it the same way everytime ?