Author Topic: New, Sick, but Excited!  (Read 4414 times)

jackibar

• View Profile
    • Gorden and Jacki's Place
New, Sick, but Excited!
« on: September 21, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
Hi, Everyone...

I have struggled with yo-yo dieting since age 7 when I was put on a diet and wasn't even fat - it's just what our family did...  I ended up in the 200's in my twenty's and then into the 300's in my 30's.  I'm now 53 and have suffered as well with Type 2 diabetes for 20 years, what we thought was Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since age 29 (eventually diagnosed as Lyme Disease), Fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, etc.  I have been virtually chair-bound for MANY years - sitting home while my husband does all the "going out and living."  Most recently I found out I have bone-on-bone arthritis in both knees and just went through a series of injections in the left one - really hoping this will buy me some time, because they refuse to give me a knee replacement now because of my morbid obesity. In a nutshell, this is NO way to live...

Upon the verges of just giving up and accepting this is "it" for me and that it just will never get any better, my Lyme doctor recommended a low-carb diet for me since my diabetes is totally out of control and I weigh(ed) 330 lbs. and need to lose 200 lbs. I'm only 5'4!

So I started my quest...  I originally found Dr. Bernstein's "The Diabetes Solution" and have also started reading that one, but then I was talking with my sister and she recommended this one, so I just downloaded it in iBooks yesterday - was so excited to find it! Anyway, I had spent a few days reading and "thinking about it" but thinking I probably needed to jump in and do this even though it sounded daunting. Then last Wed. I ended up in the hospital with confusion (didn't know my own birthday) and that turned into rapid heart rate (165) which caused an admission for 5 days.  I just got out on Sunday, along with a diagnosis of Cardiomyopathy and Congestive Heart Failure.  Not to mention the VERY high blood sugars that weren't coming down even on almost 400 units of insulin a day :(

After I got home, I realized I now had no choice - SOMETHING has to change or I'm not going to make it much longer (I'm 53 BTW). So I started just cutting out the carbs for the most part, and tracking my sugars a lot more closely to see what was really going on.

THE VERY FIRST DAY my husband and I were both totally amazed that my sugars came DOWN - pretty drastically(!) - and have stayed much lower than before my hospitalization.  I did some figuring and here is the difference (in just 3 days!) between what I was doing and what I'm doing now:

Insulin 2weeks ago - 240 Novolog, 120 Lantus daily
Glucose 2 weeks ago - 256.5 avg. (with some 500+ readings)

Insulin this week - 110 Novolog, 75 Lantus Daily
Glucose this week - 125.7 avg. (with readings like 88
89 - which I haven't seen in YEARS!)

I've also already taken off 29 lbs. (20 in the hospital, but 9 since I got home and started low carb!). I know some of this is water, but still - it's quite encouraging.  And I'm thinking that since I'm so large, it might come off pretty quickly.  My Lyme doctor said it would melt off me similar to people who have gastric bypass surgery... I'm absolutely AMAZED at how fast it's melting off me - and even a long-standing SEVERE lower leg swelling condition literally totally resolved after just ONE DAY of eating this way!!  I looked down and saw ANKLES!!  And BONES, etc.!!  I thought something was wrong with my feet until my husband showed me that's how they're supposed to look!!

Just wanted to share all this and introduce myself!  I'm excited - and am finally feeling some glimmer of HOPE to finally resolve this all-encompassing problem "for good".  I told my sister I'm going to do this if it's the LAST thing I do - but then I changed my mind - it's going to be the FIRST thing I do - and then I can finally get my life back!

So glad to have found you!

- Jacki
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:16:10 PM by jackibar »
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: New, Sick, but Excited!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 12:31:51 PM »
A VERY warm welcome to the FTS family, Jacki!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)
We fully understand your plight. :'(

Although I did not acquire as much fat, I was living on borrowed time before FTS.
My doctor gave me a few years before I would be hospitalized or dead!
I knew something had to change. But I did not know what to do.
Then in July 2010, I discovered FTS watching the 700 Club on TV... That's when my life changed! :)

I was yo-yo dieting since my youth (BTW, I'm 61).
I was almost always overweight (or obese) most all my life!

Like me (and many others here), you damaged your body for many years with sugar.
Weight gain is only one symptom of long term "sugar poisoning".
There is also diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol & triglyceride imbalances, etc..

Sugar is toxic and dangerous!!!... It kills us slowly!

After I adopted the FTS, like you, I began to see improvements very quickly.
Here are posts that talk about what happened within the first year.
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2199.msg19816#msg19816
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2199.msg19984#msg19984
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=5406.msg57462#msg57462

You too, have now found the answer!
But, you must muster a 100% commitment to change your destiny with FTS!
If you supply that, you will get healthy and lose that excess FAT! ;D ;D ;D

Plus... We will be here for you anytime you have questions, concerns, or just need to vent.
Please participate in our discussions often! It will help you sustain your commitment.
Doing that will help you reach your goal of good health and weight loss! ;D

Tony

What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »
I told my sister I'm going to do this if it's the LAST thing I do - but then I changed my mind - it's going to be the FIRST thing I do - and then I can finally get my life back!

So glad to have found you!

Welcome to the forum family Jacki  :) :)  I love your attitude here and we are so glad you found us  :D 

I have no doubt in my mind that Fat To Skinny has saved me.  My sugar was dangerously high more times than I would like to admit....and oh those ups and downs and how sick you feel all the time being on that yo yo.  :P :P :P  FTS has given me control of my life back....shoot....given me my life period. 

Come in and post often...we are all here to help each other.  If we can help at all just ask  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »
Hi Jacki! I am Umpa ,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask .You can do this and we are going to help.You need to read sherripies story on the home page.She lost 220.The first thing you need to do is detox.It takes two weeks then your energy level will go through the roof!Exercise is not important but keeping your carbs under 20 a day is.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.You have to take full control of your life.Congrats on the 26 pounds :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »
Hi Jacki, remember to keep a close eye on our insulin as the need for it will diminish quite quickly as your body comes back into balance with your own insulin production. After you read the FTS book download these two books from Itunes

1- FAT TO SKINNY Low Carb Cookbook- https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/fat-to-skinny-low-carb-cookbook/id633937203?mt=11

2- FAT TO SKINNY Sugar Free Bakery Book- https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/fat-to-skinny-sugar-free-bakery/id633938119?mt=11

Don't worry, just stick to the plan just as it's written and we'll get rid of your weight AND you type 2  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Wow, thanks SO much for the warm welcome! I look forward to learning all I can here and getting to know y'all better!

Doug, absolutely on the insulin watching! I've been checking my sugar about 6-8 times a day and pretty much immediacy had to cut my insulin about 1/3! I'm now wondering if the high doses of insulin were causing all that inflammation in my body...
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 08:18:39 PM »
29 pounds down is great! Congrats!  :)

Souper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 08:42:27 PM »
Hello and welcome! ;) I feel your pain I weight 350# and I also 5'4". I've been in and out of the hospital for all kinds of problems. Congestive heart failure among them. What I've done is take my favorite leather jacket and hung on the wall so I can see it all the time. Because one day soon I'm going to wear that jacket again. Don't give up!  I'm not! This time I have the road map. This time it's all the way because if I don't I know I won't have long on this earth.

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »
29 pounds down is great! Congrats!  :)

THANKS!  I'm getting frustrated because it's been stuck for almost a week now, but I have to remember that 29 lbs.... and trust it WILL start moving down again (hopefully soon!!).

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »
Hello and welcome! ;) I feel your pain I weight 350# and I also 5'4". I've been in and out of the hospital for all kinds of problems. Congestive heart failure among them. What I've done is take my favorite leather jacket and hung on the wall so I can see it all the time. Because one day soon I'm going to wear that jacket again. Don't give up!  I'm not! This time I have the road map. This time it's all the way because if I don't I know I won't have long on this earth.

Thanks for writing, Souper!  It's nice to meet another one in similar shoes as me and since we already understand each other, we'll be a great support as we both go through this journey :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D HOORAY JACKI!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't forget to take your measurements!!!
We will often shrink even with the scale is frozen solid! ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Souper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
I will be happy to travel the weight loss road together with you.  I will keep you in my thoughts.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
 ;D

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 04:41:57 AM »
Hi Jackie -- Congratulations on the 29# loss....that's a GREAT start.  

I started at 298 -- and with FTS lifestyle have lost 50 pounds....I can tell you that even though I still have a long ways to go, that I feel so much better, and so much healthier already, and you will feel better.

Tony's right -- SUGAR IS TOXIC AND IT'S KILLING US!  

When we give up the unhealthy carby stuff, our body will stop craving it.....

The important thing is consistency.....THAT is the "scale" you're looking for because it is consistency to the FTS eating that will get you results in better health and the resulting [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/][url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss[/url][/url].  

Because with losing weight with healthy low carb eating you are losing FAT instead of "weight."

Also, I really understand what it is like to be an adult who was put on a diet as a child.  My crazy narcissistic mother put me on diets so I would be her diet buddy.....complete with giving me some of her diet pills at times.  It's abuse!  We have to love ourselves and forgive them their stupidity for doing that.  That will help with the healing, and that emotional healing will help you be good to yourself.  You will begin to Finally Love Yourself in a nurturing and caring way, and wanting to eat healthfully to LIVE a longer and healthier life

When we gain so much weight we give up things in our life one pound at a time......and when we lose fat, we gain back things in our life one pound at a time.....  In only 50 pounds I have gained back.....

-- wearing some clothes that have been in my closet some even with tags on them for years....

-- today I was able to get on a ladder to "dustmop" my walls....granted it is a heavy duty ladder, but at 298 I wasn't able to stand on that ladder without a lot of pain, so I gave up trying.  

-- I'm more flexible.....I can get down on the floor now, and it's easier to get up....I still have to do that carefully, and have to have a chair to get back, up, but it's far easier than before.  

-- I sleep better.  I think somewhere you mentioned sleep apnea....have  you been diagnosed and treated?  I use CPAP, and I believe getting on CPAP had a lot to do with my motivation to [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/][url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]lose weight[/url][/url] and kept me on the quest until I found FTS.  This is because when we are not getting enough sleep it's hard to think straight.    Talk to your doctor if you need any adjustments in your sleep therapy.  

-- I used to have one of these hand pick up stuff off the floor grabber things I had to use....only 50 pounds and 110 to go and I can now bend over and pick something up off the floor!!!!!  AND YOU WILL TOO!

-- this one is girly and silly -- BUT I threw out my other underclothes and got something I like better ....

-- I'm happier....even with lifes ups and downs (crazy narcissitic mother  -- now elderly -- disowned my sister and I last month) but even with that upheaval and sadness, it was still easier to deal with knowing I now had a path, a "weigh out" of the abyss of morbid obesity.  I'll not say that I eat perfectly, or that I have a perfect life....I work two jobs and do shift work, and have the usual ups and downs of life -- but it's all easier to deal with now.....

-- I'm healthier....I didn't have diabetes, but I had hearburn -- had been on Prevacid for a decade -- now never have heartburn.  I used to eat huge amounts of popcorn in bed and twice had aspiration pneumonia from going to sleep on such a full stomach (before CPAP).  My blood pressure is great, my joints don't ache like they used to, I just FEEL better....

-- Emotionally I just feel like a person who has been let out of prison -- the prison was being stuck in place with a morbidly obese body (5-3 and 298) and so frustrated that DIETS were not working....it's wasn't until I got OFF the diets and onto FTS that it turned around for me.

AHHHHHHHHHHHh I should hop off my soapbox, but Jacki I just know that FTS  -- consistency to FTS as a lifestyle -- not a diet -- will help you be healthier and happier....

Best wishes to you.....

Oh, and keep posting...this little support FTS is really something special.  They're really here to help.  

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:17:49 AM by Elizabeth779 »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 09:38:10 AM »
I APPLAUD YOU ELIZABETH! YOU SOUND HAPPY!