Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 5874 times)

Souper

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello everyone!
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »
I need to loose 214#. I can't believe it myself. My health is no good. I had surgery in '08 and. My health has steadily gotten worse. My hope is to loose all of it at a good steady pace. I've read some of the posts and I'm impressed. The only thing is I can't afford to buy a lot of deferent foods.  The food industry makes the food you. An afford bad for you. And the food that is good for you almost unaffordable. If anyone has a good way of doing this on a very tight budget let me know, ok?

shawn116

Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum family Souper  :) 

You are so right about the price of food...man it can get pricey.  Especially if you are buying the prepackaged stuff.  Then add the low carb or sugar free label on it and you are guaranteed at least 1/3 higher price and 1/2 the amount in the package.   :-\  The good thing about Fat To Skinny is it doesn't take much to follow in this lifestyle and you don't have to buy special food.  When you go to the store just stick with the outside perimeter of the store.  That is where the good food is anyway  ;)  Stick with the real veggies and meats and you will see that it really doesn't cost any more than you are used to paying.  Actually you may save a bit because you aren't buying all the processed stuff.  We have tons of recipes here in the forum and in Doug and Umpa's bakery books that will replace anything you may be missing.  If we can help...don't hesitate to ask  ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:05:12 PM »
My food budget is $50 a week for 2 people. I look at ads and buy veggies & meat on sale & freeze. I cut & dice my veggies & flash freeze (spread out on cookie sheet, then when frozen, put them in freezer bags).
I'll buy things like almond flour only when I have the money and who ever is selling it cheapest. I got golden flax seeds at Big Lots store for $4.00. Got a coffee grinder at a yard sale to grind it.
Had a lil extra money last payday & bought 2 bottles of FTS Zero Sweet. That should last me quite a while.
Our local Mexican market has so much food on great sales too. Ground Beef is 99¢ lb this week and some produce & fruit only 33¢ and 49¢ lb. They have eggs on sale this week - 5 dozen for $5 . I have chickens, so I don't need to buy eggs. I use the 99¢ store too & get beautiful cauliflower and 5 pack zucchini.

Souper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 01:30:14 AM »
Thank you for the welcome. I will look for things on sale. I have to say I've  ever been good at shopping. Mainly because like you say all the pre packaged food. The food I grew up with is not the healthiest. But it's what mom could Aford. 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 08:38:01 AM »
Hello souper, welcome to our family :) I find it quite easy to buy the main ingredients for my daily intake at very affordable prices. Remember the core of your plate is protein, fats, and greens, everything else is an add on. So lets talk about it.

At the grocery store yesterday I found

Boneless skinless chicken breast on sale- $1.99 per pound
Turkeys- $89 cents per pound
Pork loin- $2.49 per pound
Boston Butt pork roast- $1.99 per pound
London Broil steaks- $1.99 per pound

In my kitchen I buy these kinds of protein all the time on sale, cut them up and freeze proper sized meals. I keep heavy greens in the fridge all the time like cabbage, collards. broccoli and cauliflower all which are very affordable. Now comes the fats.... Cheese is my all time fav fat and we buy our cheeses at half the grocery store price from Sam's Club....great prices on cheeses there. For pancakes and muffins my flour of choice is Golden Flax Seed meal at a price of about $3.00 per bag. Add eggs at $1.39 a dozen and a few other ingredients and all kinds of recipes open up to you.

The key is to learn how to cook fresh foods and stay away from prepackaged stuff. You pay for the convenience and the foods are no where near as good as what you prepare yourself.

Want expensive....try this on for size------- Potato chips average $10.00 per pound!!!!!!! Yikes  :o

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Souper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »
Doug you are right. I need to learn how to cook right.  Payday I will get your cookbook. I'm ready to start my journey to health. Ive put the jacket I wore way back when I was smaller. On a hanger hanging from a hook on the wall. So I can have a visual of where I want to end up. I look forward to the journey. ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Souper!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

One of the cheapest and best sources of protein around is eggs!
And they are VERY versatile as boiled, fried, omelets, etc..

I buy extra large eggs in 2 dozen packages at Costco for about $3.60.
That works out to 15 cents per egg! :o

And if you buy cheese, buy it in large blocks and cut or shred it yourself.
It costs more up front. But per serving cost is much lower than sliced or shredded.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Souper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »
Mom and Dad have a Costco membership.  What also I'm concerned about is the additives they put in our food. I want to get my own chickens and raise them for eggs and meat. I've heard rabbit is good too. I live on 12acres here in northern Kentucky. Also I'm disabled I have a lot of medical problems which I hope will go away when I lose the weight. This includes being on oxygen ,this is from smoking too much. Most of my problems are from being overweight. Oh by the way I don't smoke anymore ,  thank God.

NoellBlue1

• Happy to be alive :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 09:22:03 PM »
 ;D  Hi Souper, my name is Noell.   You'll meet a lot of wonderful people, and learn many grate things here.  Read your FTS book many times...I know I did, and I still refer to it often.  Remain dedicated on your weight loss journey, and you'll be sure to reach your goals.  Take care.  ;D
Wishing you love, joy, peace, light, and laughter for every moment in your life;)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 07:41:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum souper.  Well done on the giving up smokes.  Lots good tips - I'm like tony - lots eggs at my place.  I'm in Australia and our foods are much more expensive than in the States. (eg cheapest - eggs are 25c/egg, chicken fillets $4.50/lb and golden flax or almond meal averages at $6/bag).  Stick with it, post often - let us know how you are going.

Souper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »
25 cents an egg?  Good Greif!!!  I've lost 4# water weight.  Just being on this a couple days I feel better. I can't go too gung ho as I would like due to health reasons. However I know that when I get this weight off I'll feel better for sure.

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »
Congrats on the 4# gone!!!   :D :D

Souper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 03:09:57 PM »
Thank you ;) I know it's water weight but I feel much better.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 07:46:32 PM »
Welcome  to the forum Souper! I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask. :) You can get free books with every 50 posts.There are no special foods just eat fresh foods.I have a column on the home page called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. Congrats on the 4 pounds! Take your measurements now they are gonna change quickly.The scale doesn't always tell you how much you have lost.In 2 weeks you are gonna feel amazing after you detox and your energy is going to go through the roof! I love rabbit,keep it in the freezer.Wicked lean and very filling ;)

Souper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 08:22:17 PM »
Thanks umpa. I'm working on my mom to join me. Or at least be aware. Of what they put in the food. They put some wicked (I mean bad) stuff in the food. Even if they say it's fresh be careful. I know that if she doesn't want to join me she will help me all she can. I've tried to lose weight before but it didn't work. I think with e eryone here rooting for me I'll go far!