Author Topic: daikon veggy - looks like a white radish  (Read 3821 times)

ereino

• View Profile
daikon veggy - looks like a white radish
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
We hired a new gal in the office who is from Thailand and she is introducing us all to many things.  One thing today was the vegetable...Daikon, which looks like a white radish.  There is a recipe I took off of the web and I think you may all enjoy it - the adventerous ones:  I am hoping that this truly is a good fiber veggy.  What do you think, Doug?

Daikon Bake:  4 servings:
1 pound of daikon radish
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp mixed dried herbs of your choice (can use fresh, too!)

Wash and peel the daikon.  Cut it into 3 or four pieces so they can fit your pot.  Boil or steam them for about 15 minutes or until a knife inserted into goes in easily but meets with some resistance.  Drain and Cool.

While the daikon is cooking, chop the garlic.  Sprinkle the salt on top.  Using the side of your knife, mash the salt into the garlic until it forms a smooth paste.  Set aside.

In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil.  Add the butter.  When the mixture foams, remove it from the heat and add the garlic pasts.  Set aside.

Slice the cooled daikon into thin rounds.  Set aside.

Lightly grease an 8x8 inch pan.  Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.

Put a layer of the sliced daikon on the bottom of the plan.  Sprinkle with some of the dried herbs.  Spoon some of the oil-garlic mixture on top.  Put another layer of sliced daikon on top, sprinkle with more herbs and oil.  Repeat until all of the daikon is used.  Alternatively, if you don't want to mess with the layering, you can combine all the ingredients;  the sliced daikon, oil-garlic mixture and the herbs together, mix well, and spread it evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the edges and tops brown.

For the whole thing:  Total carbs=17; Fiber = 8; Net Carbs = 9

Net carbs per serving = 2.2

I took this right off the web, and the net carb count was provided.  I hope the net carb count is correct. 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: daikon veggy - looks like a white radish
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
Nice recipe, I love Daikon, haven't had it in a while, thanks for the reminder!  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:44:57 AM »
You are so very welcome! 

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »
Hmmm, Doug, I see you posted my daikon recipe on Linked In.  I may have to be careful how I state things in the future. 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »
Hi Ereino, see the social network icons inside our posts? Anyone can share posts on social networks they belong to with the click of a link. You posted a very interesting recipe which I shared with my followers. I encourage all of our forum members to share the joy :) :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)