Author Topic: Almond Brownies  (Read 22629 times)

owensmath

Re: Almond Brownies
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »
I think the soy flour would add a little bitter taste, but I'm guessing from other recipes where I've used it.

joagain

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
It didnt it they were just like real brownies I seen on some site you can sub it for cornstarch but it has to be doubled I used 3 tablespoons of soy flour . I am trying the flax ones in the bakery book again to see if I did something wrong the first time .

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 08:57:40 AM »
Its funny you say that owensmath! I get the same aftertaste from soy flour,really bitter.Especially after it bakes a long time ,like bread.Thats why if I use it, I cut it. ;)

owensmath

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 09:57:42 AM »
I found the coconut bread to be like that. But, my husband loved it and never once mentioned a bitter taste. He ate most of it. I made some like muffins and the rest of the batter was poured into a circular cake pan. He toasted it and had it with butter on it for breakfast for several days. It was good with Land O'Lakes spray whipped topping on it. That kind of covered the bitter taste...kind of...

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 09:26:56 AM »
Wonderful! Made these last night to take to Mother's Day family fun after church today. I poured them is cupcake/muffin tin. So easy and tasty.  Of course I had to make another batch, my kids had to try them out last night!  :)

shawn116

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »
I made some to..... they were delish!!!  I chunked up some sf peanut butter cups (only two and I used the Rossell Stover brand not hershey's )  I put them in the freezer so I wont be to tempted to often...LOL ;)

joagain

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011, 03:12:30 PM »
Too sweet did you put the candy in the brownies ? Did you leave out the cornstarch ? Did you replace it with anything ? 
Question is for you to Amber

shawn116

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »
I replaced the cornstarch with xanthan gum 1 tsp.  Before once all mixed I folded in 1/4 cup chopped walnuts and cut the candy into chunks.  I didn't have any chips...LOL  They didn't hold up as far as noticing them in the baked product but I think it added some flavor to them.... very yummmy.  Even the none FTS peeps in my house liked them...LOL  I think I will try with the soy flour next time though to see the difference.  It's fun learning to cook with all these new products.  I like a challenge  ;D

joagain

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 04:34:08 PM »
They will never know if you dont tell them my oldest son had one and thought they were regular brownies they are most I guess they are more cake like .

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 01:13:10 PM »
My wife and I absolutely love these brownies!!! ;D ;D ;D
What you do today is what matters!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 03:06:07 PM »
Joagain - I used a little of Guar gum powder.  The ones with the chocolate chips added are very moist and fall apart but you can use a spoon!

joagain

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »
Amber this is this recipe that I changed alittle and it is perfect Tyler loves them and they do not mess with blood sugar try them they are yummy

http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2533.0

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »
I will give thesea try. Soy flour? Can I get this at WalMart or where

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
I will give thesea try. Soy flour? Can I get this at WalMart or where

I made this without the soy flour and it was fine!

I'm not a big fan of soy. It usually imparts a bitter flavor when baked.
I dunno... Maybe it's just me! :P
What you do today is what matters!

joagain

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 05:54:29 AM »
Tony you made the original recipe without replacing the cornstarch with anything .  My Brownies are not bitter at all maybe because they only bake 15-20 minuites .
  I dont know it would be nice not to use it so the carbs would go down I tried the gar gum stuff I dont like it . I guess all are taste are different .

Yes Amber I get my soy flour at walmart .