Author Topic: Almond Brownies  (Read 22627 times)

gpod97

• View Profile
Re: Almond Brownies
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2011, 09:30:14 AM »
Is guar gum and xanthan gum the same thing? I was in Kroger the other day and asked where the guar gum was at, but the lady had no idea what I was talking about. She did look in the nutritional section but it was no where to be found. O.K. So, what I'm understanding is that the cornstarch used in these brownies is WAY more than using guar gum or xanthan gum. Is this correct? Where do I find one or both of these items? Do most grocery stores carry these products or will I have to find them online?

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2011, 11:03:56 AM »
I used a little of the guar gum in my brownies.  I think they are the pretty much the same thing but if you use to much the brownines are rubbery.  I was able to find at a local health food store.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »
I use xantham gum.Its what they put in ice cream to keep it from icing up.Warning a little goes a long way,start with 1/4 teaspoons.The recipe in The Bakery Book is alot lower and you do not need thickners. I think mouseissue uses Guar gum,I never have :)

shawn116

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2011, 05:57:01 PM »
Hi gpod97
I have never seen guar gum in any other store other than a health food store (you should be able to find both there).  The xanthan gum how ever I found in my grocery store where the stock the special things such as flax meal, soy flour and such.... I think it was Bob Red Mills??  You can order it on line though  ;) ;) 

Umpa is right though a little goes a long way.... I use the xanthan gum to make my gravy  ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »
A little goes a long way with either guar gum or xanthan gum!
Depending on the amount of liquid your trying to thicken, like Umpa suggests, start with very little and SLOWLY add more.

Be sure to stir and allow about 1 minute between additions of a gum.
This allow time for it to do it's thing. ;)
What you do today is what matters!