Author Topic: Egg Frittata Muffins  (Read 6451 times)

readyforthis

• View Profile
Egg Frittata Muffins
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:38:34 AM »
I have been trying to come up with something that I could freeze and grab in the mornings as I head out the door so this morning I FINALLY tried an idea that had been floating around in my head!  I have been eating eggs about 3 days a weeks and I wanted something fast for those mornings that I turn off the alarm clock-- and there seem to be more of those as our school year comes to a close!  Here goes- please feel free to correct my calculations.

Egg Frittata Muffins

6 eggs (6 carbs)
1/2 cup almond milk (0.5 carbs)
Cheddar Cheese
Monterey Jack Cheese
Salt
Pepper
1/2 cup zucchini (1.5 carbs)
Mushrooms - I had some sliced ones in the fridge so I grabbed about 8 good sized slices (<1 carb)
Turkey Pepperoni

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease or spray a 12-cup muffin tin.  Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper together until it is a yellow color throughout.  Add shredded cheeses and chopped veggies and rough chopped pepperoni to the egg mixture and stir.  I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to fill the muffin cups.  Bake for about 20-25 minutes until set.  Let them cool at least 5 minutes in the pan so that they will hold their shape.
I checked mine several times after 20 minutes and checked about every 2 minutes until they looked like I thought they should.   I calculate that each muffin is less than 1 carb each so I had no concerns about eating a couple for breakfast.  They were very light yet filling.

I think the possibilities are endless with this- you could add ANY vegetable that you have in the fridge and any spices that you prefer.  ENJOY!!

owensmath

Re: Egg Frittata Muffins
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »
They look delicious and I bet a little spicy sausage would give them a great little ZIP and ZING, too! I may not want to try that while we still have school, though...just in case it doesn't sit well.... hmm... TMI? LOL

readyforthis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:43:15 PM »
I was thinking maybe some spinach, tomato, ham, green onion, or bacon oh my.  These may be like the one-minute muffins- I might have to have them every day!!  By the way-- whoever came up with the one-minute muffin in the coffee cup-- thank you thank you thank you and God bless you!! I love them!

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:57:27 AM »
I love the one minute muffins too!  I add some Walden farms chocolate syrup, and 1/2 tbs of sugar free cocoa powder  and it comes out like a chocolate cake or muffin.  I use a splash of heavy cream too.  You have to cook them a bit longer due to more liquid.  Just watch them. I am going to make your frittatas they sound great  for a "grab and go" breakfast.

Rena

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:30:08 PM »
I love the one minute muffins too!  I add some Walden farms chocolate syrup, and 1/2 tbs of sugar free cocoa powder  and it comes out like a chocolate cake or muffin.  I use a splash of heavy cream too.  You have to cook them a bit longer due to more liquid.  Just watch them. I am going to make your frittatas they sound great  for a "grab and go" breakfast.

I love these too, but haven't made them with the cocoa powder, just the syrup. I need to find a zero carb cocoa powder. They make them, right?

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »
Mine is  Hershey's cocoa with 3 carbs and 1 gram  of fiber for 1 tbsp so I figured 2 net carbs and I can only finish 1/2 a muffin, so in thought that was pretty good.  I don't know about other powders.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
Hersheys is the best.It can live in the pantry for years.I have found in the blocks,Luker squares.which are a 0 ;)

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 09:06:33 AM »
So you can replace powder with blocks?  Do you grate blocks or melt and then mix with other wt ingredients? ???

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »
Blocks are unsweetened and have to be melted to add xylitol.Powder doesn't . So to use blocks you would have to melt them ,add sweetner mix then add to muffins.Adjust liquids for the additional liquid. ;)