Author Topic: Flax Seed Meal / Flour?  (Read 18213 times)

downeast

• View Profile
Flax Seed Meal / Flour?
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:48:16 PM »
I notice that in the Sugar-Free Bakery book some recipes call for Golden Flax Seed Meal and other recipes call for Golden Flax Seed Flour. The Hearty Country Loaf calls for some of each. What is the difference? I have only seen Bob's Red Mill Golden Flaxseed Meal in the stores.

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Flax Seed Meal / Flour?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:27:31 PM »
I buy the Golden Flax Seed Meal at my local health food store.  They buy it in bulk and bag it up.  I've never bought Bob's Red Mill, but I'm sure it must look similar.  It is golden in colour and quite fine, almost looks like graham cracker crumbs.  The other that the Hearty Country Loaf calls for is Whole Ground Flax Seed Meal.  You could either buy the seeds and grind it yourself or I find it already ground at the Bulk Barn (Canada). It is darker and coarser than the golden flax meal.  They also have the seeds if you want to grind your own. 

Good luck with your bread.  I have made a few loaves and they always fall for me.  The first time I opened the oven door to the first notch (about 4 inches) to let it cool.  The book says to crack the oven door so the next time I put a wooden spoon handle in the door to crack it, it still fell.  Next time I will let it cool in the oven with the door closed.  Let me know how yours turns out.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:27:21 AM »
Schihtzumom if your bread is falling cool it on its side.Wont fall. ;)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:29:40 AM »
It falls before I even get it out of the oven (even with just opening it the width of a wooden spoon handle).  Maybe I need to bake it a little longer. 

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:45:59 PM »
I'm still trying to get the meal / flour requirements sorted out for the recipes in the bakery book. What I understand Shmom1 to say is:
When the book calls for golden flax seed flour I should use Bob's Red Mill Golden Flax Seed Meal. (It's the only kind I can buy).
When the book calls for golden flax seed meal I should buy golden flax seeds and grind them.
Umpa - is that correct? I'm confused about not using meal as meal.

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 04:40:50 PM »
Downeast re-read the recipe for the Hearty Country Loaf.  It calls for Golden Flax Seed Flour (Golden Flax Seed Meal is the same thing) and Whole Ground Flax Seed Meal.  It is the Whole Ground Flax Seed that I said to grind yourself (but check out the Bulk Barn if you have one in your town).  Did I clear it up or just confuse you more?

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
ah - got it! Thanks.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »
Golden Flaxseed Meal/flour is different than Regular flaxseed meal/flour.Both are sold by Bobs red mill.Both are very cheap.The golden flaxseed flour/meal has the consistency Some companies use the word meal,some flour.Both are same thing.I don't grind my own so I can't give you advice on that.I buy it in bulk from amazon.
Schihtzmom are you using red star bag yeast or the individual packets?

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:23:50 AM »
Schihtzmom are you using red star bag yeast or the individual packets?
Umpa, my breads have been rising up beautifully, until I crack that door.  The bread seems to have a "wet" consistency so I think I need to bake it longer.  I haven't found Red Star yeast here in Canada.  I have been using Fleischmann's Quick-Rise Instant Yeast, 450g bag of loose yeast, it  says Bakery Format, the same stuff I have been using for years.     

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 09:35:03 AM »
Flaxbread stays moist.It doesn't dry out.Don't crack the door if it is falling..Remember how moist the pumpkin bread is?Thats flaxbread.Toast it,if you don't like the moistness.I waited until I was in North Carolina to do alot of the bread recipes because it is the hardest.We are at 4ooo feet elevation.We have people on the forum from all over the world so  you have to use my baking times as a guide,but adjust to your location.Red star is a bag yeast with a expiration date.Its not that the brand is so great,its the expiration date.The little packets tend to go bad quickly.If your yeast proofs then its fine.If not throw it away.Your bread won't double in size when it rises,but it will rise.Once it backs it should maintain that size.Don't be afraid to turn it on its side once it has baked.Flaxbread is very heavy,thats why it is so filling.Makes a great grilled cheese sandwich!I will work on this with you until you get it right.;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 09:36:48 AM »
Flaxbread stays moist.It doesn't dry out.Don't crack the door if it is falling..Remember how moist the pumpkin bread is?Thats flaxbread.Toast it,if you don't like the moistness.I waited until I was in North Carolina to do alot of the bread recipes because it is the hardest.We are at 4ooo feet elevation.We have people on the forum from all over the world so  you have to use my baking times as a guide,but adjust to your location.Red star is a bag yeast with a expiration date.Its not that the brand is so great,its the expiration date.The little packets tend to go bad quickly.If your yeast proofs then its fine.If not throw it away.Your bread won't double in size when it rises,but it will rise.Once it backs it should maintain that size.Don't be afraid to turn it on its side once it has baked.Flaxbread is very heavy,thats why it is so filling.Makes a great grilled cheese sandwich!I will work on this with you until you get it right.;)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 09:45:49 AM »
No problem with the expiry date, I've always known to check that with yeast.  I thought the "wet" consistency was how it was supposed to turn out, you and sort of tell that by the pictures in the bakery book.  I might try to bake it an extra 5 or 10 minutes and then just let it sit in the oven for a bit without cracking the door, just to see what happens.  The flavour is wonderful and does make great toast and grilled cheese.  I've loved every recipe that I have tried so far from the bakery book. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 09:08:23 AM »
Thank you! Please give me all your feedback though.We are working on another couple of books as we speak.I haven't forgotten about your tiramasu I just haven't found the right pad with the recipe.It might be in North Carolina. :)

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »
Forgive me if everyone knows this,but I purchased Bob's Red Mill Organic Raw Whole Golden Flax Seeds and was disappointed to learn that it is 1 carb for every 2 tablespoons. It's was my first time buying the Golden Flax seeds rather than the regular.Just figured I'd let everyone know that not all flax is zero..And I should have known better and read the nutrition facts before I bought it!

shawn116

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out Joanne  :)  It is a good reminder to always read those labels..... even the products you are used to buying can change them.