Author Topic: Will power vs. Family  (Read 8867 times)

Novoflux

• View Profile
Will power vs. Family
« on: June 04, 2011, 10:03:51 AM »
I completely understand how Doug's methods work, and believe that I could really finally achieve a healthy weight from them. If I were single and living alone this would be a sinch, but I don't. My husband is not very supportive of the idea of removing allot of our common staples from the kitchen, which in turn makes it hard for me to not eat whatever is around. I like the fact that if I don't buy it I don't eat it, but there are things I know my family could not be separated from. How can I put it into a perspective where I can actually turn away from things a really don't need to eat while watching my family eat them instead? How do I convince my husband that using lettuce instead of buns isn't ridiculous?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Will power vs. Family
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »
Welcome to the family Novoflux! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Your challenge is one that many of us have faced.
And the only real solution for you is complete commitment to the FTS lifestyle.
This means being able to say "No" to all those foods that made you fat in the first place.
You must do this for you and you alone to succeed.

After you've lost weight and are more energetic, your husband and others will notice and be much more receptive to your new found lifestyle.
So just tell him/them "Watch me and see!". ;)
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 02:12:55 PM »
Hi Novoflux,

I so know what you are talking about.  My hubs is very resistant as well.  I also have a daughter that lives with us when on break from college.  It  does make it hard when I have to have things that they don't want to give up, but I just try and make that a challenge for myself.  I make sure that I have plenty of my favorite things around that I can have when I am really needing something good while they munch on oreos and chips or bread with their burgers.  At the same time I am the one in control of the shopping and the cooking.....LOL  My sweet husband has never refused to eat what I put in front of him..... He may ask me not to fix it again but he usually likes what I give him  ;)  I try and stick with making lean meat and veggies that way I can have it and they can add what ever bread and such to theirs.....  As far as convincing... they will see as you drop your weight.   ;) ;)

joagain

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 03:11:23 PM »
Same here I make my hubbies lunch everyday and it is with fresh bread cookies and crackers ,fruit . But I just commited this time and have not wavered or cheated . I have ate too much of the foods I can have but not had one taste of bread since sept/10 big step for me .

You have to not worry about them and just do it ! You only need will power the first week or so ,then the desire for that crap is gone !!!!!

JUst until you get over detox when you are craving something you cant have eat something with no carbs . Once the detox is gone you will feel like a new person .

Welcome to the first day of your new way of life if you want it bad enough  ;D!!!

Mimzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »
I just cook normal meals for my family but instead of potatoes I make myself cauli mash or jicama fries.  I didn't get rid of any of the staples in my house.  You can do this and once your husband sees how much you are enjoying the healthy food you are eating he will be more likely to give it a try.  After the first week the breads, cookies, etc will not be as appealing to you.  Good luck and welcome to the FTS family. ;)

Novoflux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 10:06:45 AM »
Thanks everyone, I have a few more questions,

What  is Konjac Glucomannan powder exactly and how much does it usually cost?  Because I'm starting to get worried about trying to replace old staples with recipes that have ingredients that are above my budget. I mean flax meal and soya flour aren't cheap ( I don't even know how well they keep)...and I'm sure that Konjac Glucomannan powder isn't either by what I've read. Also if I have to still buy the regular staples  (bead and pasta and junk) for my family how the  :P pffft is that going to work...I mean like financially? Argh! How disheartening! I mean the Foccocia style flax bread recipe and the General Tso's Chicken all sound really really good! Looks like its back to hunting and gathering for me!  :(

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »
Hi Novoflux! :)

Glucomannan powder is the root of the konjac plant.
Umpa said that it's used in the General Tso's Chicken recipe to make the crust on the chicken pieces more crispy after frying.
I personally haven't used it yet.

Flax meal and soy powder are quite inexpensive IF you shop around for better prices.
I just paid $5.89 for a 3-pound bag of flaxseed meal at Costco.
Somewhere online, I saw it selling for $7.95 (+ shipping) for a 5-pound bag.
I've seen soy cheap online too!

I've found that sometimes I can get things online for lower prices than at my local grocers. And sometimes vise versa.
A number of low carb packaged foods are harder to find at many grocers.
I use Google and check Amazon.com.
Between the two, I usually find low (or at least decent) prices for most items.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »
Hi Novoflux  I so understand your situation!  You can still do this.  My husband and daughter are both tall and slim, and neither will even try my fts recipes.  I just made up my mind to do this anyway.  When they are having potatoes or some other starchy side, I just make some mashed cauliflower, squash, or etc for myself.  To me, it's really worth the little extra effort because I know this WORKS!  :)  Soon you will really lose your cravings for the carbs...and it's amazing!!

Yesterday, we were in the grocery store.  As we were walking by the bakery section they have all these fresh cakes and baked goods in this tall glass display thing.  Madison said, "Now Mom, just stop looking at those!"  I laughed so hard because I honestly was NOT looking at the food!  I was looking at my reflection in the glass as we walked by!  It just tickled me that I was more interested in the reflection than what was behind the glass!   ;D   It was just a cool little "moment" on my FTS journey! 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »
... Yesterday, we were in the grocery store.  As we were walking by the bakery section they have all these fresh cakes and baked goods in this tall glass display thing.  Madison said, "Now Mom, just stop looking at those!"  I laughed so hard because I honestly was NOT looking at the food!  I was looking at my reflection in the glass as we walked by!  It just tickled me that I was more interested in the reflection than what was behind the glass!   ;D   It was just a cool little "moment" on my FTS journey! 

Hi Jan! :)

Isn't it interesting how our focus changes as our weight drops?

We see our reflections and start to like what we see.
That feeling can't be bought for a million bucks!!!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 02:26:15 PM »
Tony you are right!!  This is definitley something new for me!!  .....and I like it!!  ha ha

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 09:48:46 PM »
What a great story Jan!!  Love it  ;D ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »
How do I convince my husband that using lettuce instead of buns isn't ridiculous?

This is how; Make him a really great fat juicy cheeseburger with his favorite toppings and wrap it up in a big lettuce wrap. Put it on a plate and serve it to him.   I bet he gobbles it up and convinces himself   ::)

Next, have him watch my sugar video so he understands how much hidden sugar is in that bun he skipped.  :o

Welcome to the forum  :D
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Novoflux

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 03:54:29 PM »
My husbands type 2 diabetic (hereditary) , he doesn't need needles or medication and just uses exercise and diet to keep it in control, I showed him some print outs of the recipes from this forum and he thought they were diabetic recipes, I told him "No, there part of the FTS" recipes, I mentioned to him again about cutting out sugar but he seems to think he'll become hyperglycimic or something.....how does every one in this forum work through stress and not eating junk?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »
We replace everything.We don't remove anything.That way you are not taking foods away to lose weight . So there are no foods to add back in to gain the weight back.This is a lifestyle change.Your husband is a sugar addict and he will be on medications ,which are really expensive,if he doesn't learn how to eat.He can CURE his diabetes by eating correctly.Teach him by watching you get slim and healthy.I will help you every step of the way.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I will convert any recipe you have.You can make your famaly healthier .Start by getting him to watch the video on sugar. :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »
You're so right Umpa! :)

Diabetes medications can get quite expensive.
But what's much worse, is how dangerous that disease is... It can not only disable... It can be lethal!

Type II diabetes (adult onset diabetes) is hereditary in that the way we eat is passed from one generation to the next.
Poor eating habits (i.e. eating too much sugar too often) leads to this disease.

Some people are more resistant to it.
But everyone (with few exceptions) has the "potential" to contract it.
My mother was not type II until she was in her 80's. It took that long to catch up to her... But it finally did.

I thank God everyday for FTS!
Without it, my type II diabetes would not have been cured.

Lead your husband by example. It works!!! :)