Author Topic: Update and Sure Good to Not be Doing This Alone Any More!  (Read 3156 times)

jackibar

• View Profile
    • Gorden and Jacki's Place
Update and Sure Good to Not be Doing This Alone Any More!
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »
Hi, Everyone!

Seems every time I post I have to say I'm sorry it's been so long since I posted  :'(

Anyway!  Since last time, some good things and some bad.  First, I can't remember if I shared my terribly excruciating back/sciatica pain that had started up last May (in addition to my double knee bone on bone pain I'd dealt with for a year at that point)...  But anyway, I went through the gamut with this pain last summer, fall, and now finally had to have back surgery (something I swore I'd never do!) - I had a herniated disc pressing right on that sciatic nerve root in my spine so 3 weeks ago I had a microdiscectomy to take off the herniated part of the disc.  I'm thrilled to say I'm pain free for the first time in so long that it almost feels WEIRD!!  But I'll take it!!

On the good front...  I'd lost down to 243 lbs. right before Christmas, which made for a total of 87 lbs. since the year before!!  Notice I'm using past tense.  Since then, I went nuts a few times (WHY do I keep DOING that??) and did gain back 12 lbs. so I'm currently at 255.  But that's still a heck of a lot better than 330, and I just don't have the heart to change it in my ticker - because I have full intentions of getting back down there SOON!

Next great news!  Remember when I first started this, I was the only one in my household eating this way and had to watch those around me eating all the stuff I wanted so badly?  Well, around June of last year my husband, Gorden, was having some weird symptoms and I suggested he check his blood sugar with my meter - and he was starting to run a tad on the high side (I would say he is at the "impaired glucose tolerance" level which isn't surprising considering the diet he'd been eating which was about 90% carbs!!).

So...  He has also started eating low carb right along with me and boy has that helped me!!  We keep each other in check and have made it a "project" to find good recipes, restaurant options, etc., to help keep our sugar down.  He very rapidly lost about 30 lbs. (which he really didn't need to, but it just happened!) - and is delighted that his sugars are normal now.  Last time I saw my diabetes doctor she was so shocked at how well my labs were she literally asked me when I wanted to come back!!  She said I obviously know what I'm doing :)

So...  that's about it for now!  Just want to say hi and fill y'all in.  Hopefully I won't be away for any other catastrophes now!

- Jacki
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Update and Sure Good to Not be Doing This Alone Any More!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »
Hi, Jacki! :)

It's nice to hear from you again.

I'm thrilled that your back surgery worked out so well.
As you probably know, that is often not the case.

Your husband very likely headed off metabolic syndrome by reducing his carb intake.
His metabolism will heal more quickly than those of us who've gone much further down that road.

Gorden living the FTS lifestyle with you will not only make it easier for you now,
but for many years to come after you've reached goal.

I remember how I felt watching my docs facial expression and response after my numbers greatly improved.
I got a similar response as you, plus he advised his other patients with similar issues to do what I did.

Looking forward to hearing from you again soon, Jacki! :)

Take Care!
Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 08:20:42 AM »
Fantastic new Jacki! sounds like 2015 is gonna be a GREAT year for you and your family. I'm sooooo happy for you  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »
Welcome back Jacki! I am so proud of you!!!! ;D