Author Topic: This is why you will fail at your weight-loss goal and how to avoid failure  (Read 6434 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Well here we are once again, the start of a new year and new found goals to lose weight, shape up and eat healthy BUT many will fail within 2 weeks of sticking to their commitments. Cravings will be the culprit for so many failures. Cravings are caused by addiction.

People who try to quit smoking find themselves craving not the smoke but the "feeling" they get from nicotine. People who try to quit drugs crave the high. People who try to lose weight crave the "feeling" they get when they eat carbs. Funny thing is in most cases the foods high in carbs that we consume aren't "delicious" just as smoke isn't "delicious". Think about it, what does pasta by itself taste like? Or rice, or grains? It's not the flavors we crave it's the release of Dopamine in our brains that we crave. Dopamine is "the feel good hormone" which gets released into our brains when we eat or drink foods or beverages that spike our blood sugar.

The reason most people will fail at their weight loss goals this year and the next and the next is because they simply do not understand the vicious circle of cravings and how to stop them.

If you truly want to reach your weight loss goal this year you must control the release of dopamine into your brain. It's not hard to do, simply remove all the carbs from your diet! If you drop your "net carb" intake to no more than 20 grams per day YOU WILL SUCCEED!

There's no such thing as a little cheating. It will take a couple of weeks to clean your system before the cravings disappear, trust me they will go away....BUT as soon as you stick that potato chip or sweets or any high carbs into your mouth BAM!!!!!! the cravings will begin again, and again and again.

For those of you who have read FAT TO SKINNY Fast and Easy you know exactly what I'm talking about. You also know all the foods that you must avoid, how to read labels, how to calculate net carbs and how to replace all those high carb foods with delicious low carb foods. For those of you who haven't read my book you're running down the highway without a road map, this WILL cause you to crash.

Reading up on Low Carb eating from my book or many other sources will guide you through treacherous territory. I urge you to educate yourself as to how our bodies really function before you begin your quest.

Failure causes more than "failure" it also negatively effects our self esteem and self confidence. Where success results in the positive. side of both.

If you're a visitor here and have yet to join I welcome your membership into our family, it's free and we have such a great group of people here willing to help you. So do yourself a favor, register onto the forum and introduce yourself, we're all here to help :)

Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:04:15 AM by Doug Varrieur »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

AliciaInTX

Great post, Doug! I'm reading a book right now that talks about brain chemistry and addiction and it makes so much sense! It talks about how the dopamine is released, not just when the drug (or sugar!) is consumed...but in anticipation of it. The holidays are a trigger for dopamine release...it could be seeing the food, being around the people who you've eaten with in the past, even just being in the places where the drugs (or sugar!) has been consumed can trigger dopamine release. Those feel good chemicals stimulate the cravings and even alter one's reasoning and judgement! It's given me more empathy for the people in my life who have problems with drug and alcohol addiction and their inability to "choose" not to use or drink...and it's taught me to have a bit more compassion for myself in the midst of my own relapses.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Happy New Year, Alicia! :) :) :)

You're right. This article hits the nail on the head.
Addicts experience changes in brain chemistry simply in anticipation of the addiction.
Dopamine is a VERY powerful chemical motivator in that way.

Understanding how addiction works makes room for compassion for slip ups.
And because FTS has wonderful replacements for high-carb temptations,
we can take care of the "urges" while maintaining our progress.

If we forgive ourselves for slipping and get right back on course,
as time goes by, temptations lose more and more of their power.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi gang ! It's been a year and I am back and ready to get healthy and fit again . It took Dan and I a year how figure out how to be new parents and balance the rest of our life but we are sooooo ready to get back to feeling good and taking care of ourselves . Nice to see familiar faces still !! Hope to talk to everyone soon :) tomorrow is day one on our journey

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello Stephanie...how is sweet Juliana  (still love the name). Glad to know all is well and getting back to normal.  Now you are used to parenthood, you might be able to have a little control in your life (haha..you think so).  Foodwise you are going to do great.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

AliciaInTX

Thank you, Tony!

Congrats on the new baby, Stephanie! Oh...babies are so wonderful and yummy!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Welcome home, Stephanie!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Tony

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
You bet Alicia! That's a great attitude to have. Helping others understand their addiction will be your goal for 2015! Hi Steph, great to hear from you.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Welcome back Stef and Alicia!! ;D

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Morgan Juliana is wonderful ! She is walking all over now and is developing her own little personality :) We just adore her to pieces . It is nice to be back . Today is day two for us and as we all know detoxing SUCKS! I feel like crap lol

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I get where your at. Detox does suck, big time.  Its where you question yourself, why are U doing this? Is it worth it? Its too much trouble.  On the plus side you have a partner who you're doing this with it, so you have in built support.  Commit  to the two weeks.  I'm sure you'll both see it through.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
You can do it Stef!Drink lots of water! Peanut butter really helps too ;)

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
We are in it for long hall ! We are both mentally in the right mindset ,
Now to get through the first week or two without killing each other we should be ok 😂😂😂😂😂😂

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
We are in it for long hall ! We are both mentally in the right mindset ,
Now to get through the first week or two without killing each other we should be ok 😂😂😂😂😂😂

:D :D :D

You guys can do it, Stephanie!

Tony

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just remember Stephanie, you don't want the notoriety of a murder or attempted murder charge. And being an orphan is not a good look for Juliana.  :D