Author Topic: How does your garden grow?  (Read 2726 times)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
How does your garden grow?
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:33:50 AM »
We are expecting snow in Colorado tonight so I am thinking about a vegetable garden.  What does an FTS garden look like?  What would you grow?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How does your garden grow?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:44:14 AM »
I use to grow a large garden before all the kids moved.Now i grow mostly herbs.But if I had the time to do it again I would plant tomato,peppers,lettuce,zucchini, cabbage,collards and green beans,and chayote. ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
I've been debating whether to put in a garden or not. There's a really great Farmers' Market a few miles away, but it's so rewarding to have your own produce... maybe I'll put in some green beans and strawberries. The neighbor has raspberries... I could grow some herbs, for sure! I'll put them around the yard like ornamentals. I love fresh tomatoes, but hard to resist eating the whole thing and they grow so well here... zucchini for certain. Or maybe just some pretty flowers and the farmers' market. Wishy-washy. Now aren't you glad I commented on this post?

I went to the store to buy some green beans to try Doug's baking soda trick and the green beans were all brown-spotted and ugly! I was so disappointed!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 12:17:35 PM »
Where they spotty when you bought them?

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 12:57:06 PM »
I didn't buy them. I left them all ugly in the store! That's the good part of letting someone else grow the produce - you aren't stuck with ugly vegetables. The bad part is that you don't know what pesticides, etc. were used on them - unless you buy organic.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »
I didn't buy them. I left them all ugly in the store! That's the good part of letting someone else grow the produce - you aren't stuck with ugly vegetables. The bad part is that you don't know what pesticides, etc. were used on them - unless you buy organic.

Hi Sarah! :)

Even the "Organic" label is no real guarantee as to what was put into the soil they grew in.
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:01:31 AM »
My problem with is organic is there is no pesticides but what about the water?Mexico veggies are supposely organic but I wouldn't drink the water in mexico ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:41:18 AM »
Haha! The Mexicans say that about OUR water!

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:32:41 PM »
I went to the store to buy some green beans to try Doug's baking soda trick and the green beans were all brown-spotted and ugly! I was so disappointed!
What is the baking soda trick?

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »
Watch Doug's video on the first post here: http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1263.15

Rena

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »
I'd really love to have a garden. We've grown a few things in the past, but not much. We have a lot of deer and bears where we live, so that can be a problem. One of these days I'm going to get or build a greenhouse. Okay, okay ... Rick will build it and I'll lounge on the deck and supervise. ;)