Author Topic: Spices!  (Read 3424 times)

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
Spices!
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:25:42 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this... My one big thing is always flavor.  And the best, low carb way to add wonderful flavor is to spice it up!  Anyone who feels this way, please check out www.savoryspiceshop.com.  I work for this company here in Denver; it is owned by a family here.  We grind and blend most everything ourselves.  Yes, some of the blends have sugars - honey powder, white sugar, brown sugar or maple sugar.  A few have a little arrowroot in them.  But the website lists all ingredients for each blend so you can find lots that don't have those in them.  We have over 140 blends and over 400 products altogether.  The freshness is the key! Did you know cinnamon is usually only potent for about 6 months?  We sell all our products in as small as 1/2 oz bags, up to lbs.  There is no MSG or artificial ingredients in any of our products.  I hope you all enjoy!  When I first found this place 6-7 years ago I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Spices!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:13:38 PM »
Hi jen1975! :)

Wow!...  :o The online store has every spice I could think of.
And the prices are quite reasonable especially if you buy larger quantities.

We have a large upright freezer in our garage.
I think I'll stock up and order some of my favorite spices in bulk soon.
What you do today is what matters!

institches9709

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:56:33 PM »
So Tony,

Now I'm curious, are you telling me I can freeze spices?  Guess I never thought of that.  I guess I just thought they would get moist and stick together into a big blob that I would have to throw away and spices aren't cheap! 

If you can freeze spices, would you please share the types that can be frozen? 

Learn something new everyday!

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:38:22 AM »
You can freeze spices, however contrary to popular belief it really doesn't extend the shelf life very much.  If you live in a humid area though, it can keep them from turning into giant clumps of yuck!  The goal with spices is to keep them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.  This means NOT over your stove, or right next to the stove or fridge!  I think that's why the freezer thing came to be.  Some people might not have a good spot for their spices, and the fridge or freezer might be the best option.  Basic rule of thumb - herbs and spices, whole - last up to 3 years or more, they don't lose flavor til ground.  Ground herbs and spices - we say 12-18 months tops.  Once ground, the essential oils start to dissipate.  That's where the flavor is.  If a salt based blend, they will last longer, usually (salt is a preservative!).  And although I'm in the biz, I still say with herbs fresh is ALWAYS better!  Cinnamon only 3-6 months because it has a low oil content to start with so it dissipates faster.  But saffron is good for 7 years!  Ok, I'm done with my professor mode - sorry guys I can go on and on!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »
Hi Jen! :)

Thanks for clarifying the misconceptions about freezing seasonings and spices for storage.

Since I live in the Northwest where it's quite humid most of the year, I wonder if vacuum sealing them and keeping them in a cool dark place would extend their shelf lives?

Buying in larger quantities is only economical if what your buying will keep.
What you do today is what matters!

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:34:58 PM »
Vaccuum sealing is a great idea! I never thought of doing that, it is the exposure to air, heat and light that "kill" them so that would probably work really well!  Thanks for the idea Tony! :)