Author Topic: Please Suggest Sweetener Alternatives!  (Read 3209 times)

Agogo

• View Profile
Please Suggest Sweetener Alternatives!
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
Do you have any suggestions for baking successfully with Stevia? Can I take all the recipes in Dave’s bakery cookbook and replace the Xylitol with Stevia using the same measurements? If not, what would the conversion for Xylitol to Stevia be exactly? Also, will it taste as good as Xylitol? I need to find another sweetener that doesn’t have the ghastly  (better said is gas’ly) side effects.  I really like the taste of Xylitol but it tears me up. Do you have any suggestions for alternatives?  I have already omitted NutraSweet-aspartame do to its bad history. I eagerly await your response!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Please Suggest Sweetener Alternatives!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »
When I wrote the Bakery Book I used xylitol because it was the best choice.Most people dont have negative effects with it.It is birch bark.There are stevia/xylitol blends like Truvia.You may try that. Xylitol is extremely sweet so you use less,almost half of the amount of sugar in a recipe and if there are other sweet ingredients less.As far as replacing the xylitol with stevia the best thing I can tell you is to taste your recipes. That way you can get exactly what you like.I use stevia and xylitol.They are the only sweetners I keep in the house. ;)

Agogo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
OK that gives me some idea as to how to convert it. I will give it a try. Thank you!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 11:32:01 AM »
You are very welcome.If I can help you please ask ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »
Now brand.Only buy 100% pure for Baking.In the grocery stores they sell Truvia which is a xylitol/stevia blend.That may be a good way to try before you buy ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 02:13:12 PM »
Just remember that xylitol is wicked sweet , a little goes a long way ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:14:34 AM »
I like it better too Marty! I bought the stuff yesterday for the chowder ,I will post the recipe for you when I make it.I like white chowder though not red. :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 09:57:28 AM »
I am a gypsy so we don't have a deep freeze anymore.I miss it sometimes,I saved alot of money with my deep freeze! :)