Author Topic: Dynamite Low Carb Brownies From The FTS Bakery Book  (Read 13733 times)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brownies Bakery Book
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 07:01:46 AM »
Hi TooSweet...my brownies were not REAL sweet either.  However, since I love flaxseed, I enjoyed them!  Now you may want to try the ALMOND brownie recipe (in the recipe exchange section under desserts & sweets).  I got to try one when Owensmath made them, and they do taste more like a "regular" brownie.  JoAgain also has an almond brownie recipe.  I am actually planning to make those this weekend and see if I can get my family to try them.  They won't go near the flaxseed. ha ha

joagain

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 08:14:11 AM »
jan tyler will not either , And I dont know why but the last month or two I dont like the flax mill either I dont know why or what happen I was enjoying my pancakes and Bam then I tried the brownies and tyler tried them and he said no way but he does that alot with my recipes  :D And I tried them and I didnt either . My taste have changed I guess . ??? ???

shawn116

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 08:47:06 AM »
These were pretty good though... I love the deep chocolate taste.... but I just was expecting a little more sweet to them.  LOL  These will be great if they are topped with something sweet.  Although I haven't tried them after they have been in the fridge all night.  I will wait until later tonight.  Maybe make ice cream sandwhich out of it.  Next time I might add some more sweetener or maybe sf chocolate chips....yummm  I do like the flax as well I was just afraid that I did something wrong  thanks for the replies ;D ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »
Always taste your batter before you put it in the pan.I don't like super sweet but you might so add more xylitol if you want it.You didn't do anything wrong! I never met a brownie I didn't like. :D

shawn116

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 06:22:13 PM »
I guess you are right Umpa!!  LOL  I haven't met one either.  This is a great recipe and will use it again.  I love how healthy they are.  ;D ;D  I'll try your suggestion of more xylitol next time, maybe I can talk my hubs into trying them... ;)  Thanks everyone....you guys are great!!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Dynamite Low Carb Brownies From The FTS Bakery Book
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 08:28:23 AM »
Had these for dessert last night...........

THANKS UMPA Kiss!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »
You are welcome ;)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 01:58:15 AM »
I've tried three brownie recipes that were not sweet enough and am getting tired of wasting ingredients.....how sweet are these brownies?  If I want sweet brownies should I up the FTS Zero?  And if so, how much more? 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »
Hi Liz.....taste the batter prior to baking and add sweetener as desired.  ::)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »
Always taste prior to bajavascript:void(0);king no matter what it is.I don't like really sweet.  ;) Don't throw them out if they aren't sweet enough make ice cream sandwiches :) or put peanut butter on them.

shawn116

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »
Hi Elizabeth

As you can read I had a bit of trouble with that same issue back when I was new to FTS and trying to adjust to a different way of baking.  Like Doug said be sure to taste that batter before and sweeten accordingly.  Keep in mind though that some sweeteners will lose their sweetness when heated.  The xylitol and FTS zero doesn't seem to do that.  I make this recipe all the time now with just a few personal adjustments for me.  I sweeten mine to the equivalent of 3/4 cup and add in some sugar free chocolate chips.....if no chips I might even sweeten to 1 cup.   ;)  Also I find that if I mix the sweeteners I like the finished product better.  So I use half xylitol and half zero.  If I'm using erythritol in place of the xylitol (xylitol is sweeter) I increase the zero a bit.  So if using the xylitol mix, if it calls for 1 cup sweetness I will use 3/4 cup xylitol and 1/4 cup (12 drops) of zero. 
Personally I love the way flax blends with chocolate but prefer to mix my flours with almond meal or use unblanched almond meal by itself.  

Here is a trick I learned that might help you.  Agreeably most items are much better when baked in the oven, but if you put a couple of Tbs of the finished batter in a microwave safe dish (I use the small silicone muffin cups or small plastic bowl) and micro for a minute.  You will be able to taste how sweet it will be after it is cooked without wasting your ingredients   ;) ;)  Always start with the least amount of sweetness and add in from there.  Keep in mind it's so easy to go overboard with the zero if you aren't careful  ::) Don't ask me how I know this one  Hee hee  :-\      I hope this helps  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:04:51 AM by TooSweet »

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: Dynamite Low Carb Brownies From The FTS Bakery Book
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 03:54:08 AM »
I'm ready for this chocolate cookies now! How about you Tony and Doug? I love it

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »
Doug is always ready for cookies! :D
Great idea TooSweet!! :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 09:14:05 AM »
Ala Mode!!!!!!!!!!!!! YaY :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 12:50:57 PM »
Ala Mode!!!!!!!!!!!!! YaY :)

I hear ya, Doug!
Hot brownies a la mode with Breyer's Carbsmart Ice Cream is sooooo gooood!!! ;D ;D ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!