Author Topic: ketchup  (Read 3763 times)

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
ketchup
« on: July 09, 2013, 03:46:47 PM »
Is the Westbrae ketchup brand ok? It seems to be sugar free and low carb! Also I ordered the NOW brand of almond meal. Is it too many carbs to make my own from ground almonds? One more thing...have you heard about the new black bean spaghetti from explore Asian? It sounds good. I make pasts from zucchini but this one may be good too. Please tell me about all 3 of these things. Thank you.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ketchup
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
i havent tried the westbrae ketchup, I use heinz low sugar I get at the grocery store tasts just like the real stuff.Its a great base for barbeque sauce too.I only use the Now brand unblanched almond flour cause its only 4 carbs for a cup.Tony grinds his own though ask him what brand almonds are lowest.I buy alot of pasta from the asian markets I havent seen the black bean one though will have to look for it ;)

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
I make my own almond flour all the time with my ninja.  I just buy my almonds in bulk from Sam's Club.  Just measure the amount you put in to grind so that you can get a carb count for the entire batch.  So if what you put in grinds up 2 cups of flour you will know what carb count you have per cup by dividing it by two and so on   ;)   I find that if I sift it once or twice and keep at it I can get fine results.  Otherwise yours might turn out grainy.  Unless of course you are going to use it for something that calls for a corn meal replacement.  Then grainy is what you want  ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
Hi, Marian! :)

I like dry roasted Kirkland (i.e. Costco) brand almonds (2g carbs per 1/4 cup).

Using a food processor, they grind to a meal/flour consistency very well.
They don't get "pasty" very easily like other brands I've tried.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »
OOOOOO...wonder if my Ninja will make almond butter?

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 11:42:19 PM »
OOOOOO...wonder if my Ninja will make almond butter?

Yes you can  ;D

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 10:02:50 AM »
I will have to try that!! Thanks TooSweet!!!