Author Topic: Re: Cornbread dressing  (Read 5957 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cornbread dressing
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:30:59 AM »
Here Jo ;D
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 07:57:37 AM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best replacement I have found is dixie diner corn muffin mix.Make it like cornbread. Then take 1/2 out of the pan and mix with 1/4 cup onions,1/4 cup celery, 2 tsp poultry seasoning, 1 tsp sage, and chicken stock to moisten about 1/2 cup.Then bake at 35 for 2o minutes.
This is just like cornbread stuffing.Dixie Diner makes a stuffing mix but this is 100% better Beebs.Don't use it to stuff a bird though because it won't stand up.  By the way the cornbread by itself is awesome.I also use the cornmeal right out of the package for frying fish.Just mix it 50-50with soy flour .Put the fish in egg then put it in the coating and fry.

joagain

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:24:25 PM »
Thanks Umpa ,Beebs you did not give me exact measurments I need simple exact instrutions like you ;D Now I will try to see if I can make it

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:07:20 PM »
I just tossed in a couple pieces of your cornbread sprinkled in some dage and a spoon of butter and chicken broth well that depends on how moist you want it throw it in the oven and bake it for a bit.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:27:21 PM »
Use your cornbread Jo.Just get it right into the oven, don't let it sit in the bowl while the oven is preheating.Have the oven hot and ready to go ;)

joagain

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 12:29:33 PM »
Yes mam i wrote the recipe down I am going to make my sweet potatoe cassorole & dressing this week practicing for Thanksgiving .

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »
I made the sweet potatoe casserole for doug before he left and he loved it!Let me know how things turn out ;)

joagain

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 05:02:58 PM »
I made the dressing and the sweet potato and they were delish thanks Umpa your are the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 09:16:17 AM »
You are welcome my friend!We can replace anything! ;D

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 09:42:53 AM »
Here Jo ;D
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 07:57:37 AM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best replacement I have found is dixie diner corn muffin mix.Make it like cornbread. Then take 1/2 out of the pan and mix with 1/4 cup onions,1/4 cup celery, 2 tsp poultry seasoning, 1 tsp sage, and chicken stock to moisten about 1/2 cup.Then bake at 35 for 2o minutes.
This is just like cornbread stuffing.Dixie Diner makes a stuffing mix but this is 100% better Beebs.Don't use it to stuff a bird though because it won't stand up.  By the way the cornbread by itself is awesome.I also use the cornmeal right out of the package for frying fish.Just mix it 50-50with soy flour .Put the fish in egg then put it in the coating and fry.
Umpa, when I put the cornbread dressing in the oven, do I cover the dish, or am I cooking off the liquid?  

joagain

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
when I made mine I did not cover it , I used my cornbread recipe and it came out pretty good

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 01:19:09 PM »
Thanks Jo.  It will depend on whether I have any almond meal left after my Christmas baking.  I do have a pkg. of Dixie Diner Cornbread muffin mix that I have been saving but don't want to use it if I don't have to.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 12:54:31 PM »
Uncovered and best made in a cast iron skillet.Makes alot of cornbread though.