Author Topic: Making some snacks with my new dehydrater  (Read 4520 times)

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
Making some snacks with my new dehydrater
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:51:20 PM »
I'm making some beef jerky for the firs time ever and I can't wait to see how it turns out! Having some snacks to take to work or when I'm gone all day on the weekends will really help. But I'm wondering about other things to make. Maybe dehydrated zucchini 'chips'?

SarahC

• View Profile
Re: Making some snacks with my new dehydrater
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »
I use my dehydrator for drying fresh herbs that might not get used before they go bad, jerky, and craisins (something new I just tried). I have jerky on my list, but I have to get some no sodium soy sauce or find a recipe that doesn't use soy as the sodium makes me retain water bad.  Let me know how those zucchini chips turn out!

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:00:23 PM »
What I read on the jerky is that salt is required to prevent bacteria growth but I saw a couple of recipes for fish jerky that seemed to have less salt. I read about dehydrating spinach leaves that looks awesome. I love some spinach! It said just toss with a little olive oil or coconut oil and dehydrate. I want to try that next! The jerky turned out good but I think I need to marinade a little longer next time. I used cayenne and chilli pepper too so didn't want it o be too spicy. It looks a little funky u tastes really good. And it's a decent size batch. Pretty cool

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:01:49 AM »
The dehydrated spinach turned out good. Well tastes good but looks funky. I think I'll have to get used to that. Lol. At least I found a great way to use any spinach I have left over for the week!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
i'm looking up some low sodium recipes this morning for jerky... I'll let you know what I find that looks good.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »
I'll be trying some recipes that don't use soy sauce this afternoon and will post the results tomorrow.

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
Great! Let me know it turns out. I also read they're good for making the flax crackers. Start the crackers in the oven and finish them in the dehydrated. It apparently keeps them from burning or overcooking on the edges. I've been loving the dehydrated spinach today.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
If you refrigerate the low salt jerky you are going to use soon and freeze the rest, the preservative value of the salt won't matter.  If the goal is portablilty, this doesn't help.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
One of the recipes I found uses vinegar, so there won't be a bacteria issue - also, I won't be making such a big batch that it will last long enough to become toxic. But I'll keep it in the fridge except for what's being consumed soon - thanks for the warning!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »
I store my jerky in the fridge ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 01:35:22 PM »
Ok, the jury is in for the low-salt jerky marinade - it's a keeper. I used the following recipe, but I used cider vinegar instead of wine vinegar, I went light on the vinegar, oil (peanut), and catsup, and increased the salt to 2 teaspoons.  The first piece I sampled was a bit strange as I was expecting salt to be the first flavor (even though I KNEW there was little salt in it), and the first flavor I actually experienced was the vinegar. It's very light. After three pieces, I thoroughly enjoy the mix (1st piece strange, 2nd piece tasting, 3rd piece liking). If you have a problem with salt/sodium, this is a good way to go. I think I'll use a peppered vinegar the next time I make it.

1/4 cup  water
1/4 cup  wine vinegar
1/4 cup  sugar-free ketchup
1/4 cup  Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup  olive oil
1 1/2  tablespoons  xylitol
1 tablespoon  liquid smoke
1 tablespoon  onion flakes
1 teaspoon  salt
1 teaspoon  pepper
1 teaspoon  oregano
1 teaspoon  garlic powder