Author Topic: Turnip Gratin  (Read 15899 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turnip Gratin
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 09:24:57 AM »
AMBER THIS RECIPE IS AMAZING!!!We had it last night!Yummy.I used a white irish cheddar and am having the rest for breakfast! :D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
This was delicious, had it last night with dinner then again this morning with lunch....only suggestion is to layer mare cheese in between...Delish!  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

dowensrdu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 01:43:29 PM »
Can not wait to try this.  love turnips!

Dowensrdu

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 07:45:16 PM »
Yummy sounding recipe Amber, and I see that it's "Doug & Umpa approved" too! ;D   The lady who posted the recipe sounds like a hoot!  I loved her sense of humor about putting the dog in the dishwasher!  :D ha ha   Anyway, I have got to check out that mayo chicken thing too!  I just love it how FTS never gets old....always new things to try.  Thanks for sharing!!  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:51:47 PM by Maddysmom »

joagain

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 08:09:17 PM »
Amber how much cream and broth do you think you used for the recipe /

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 09:17:23 AM »
I used 1/2 a cup of each cause it didn't say .The kids will love this ;) Next time I do this I will do it with 3 layers.

joagain

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 09:43:06 AM »
Thank you Umpa ;D

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 11:13:41 AM »
I'm going to make this again this week - I'll put the turnips, broth and cream on top of the stove, but transfer to a baking dish and add the cheese when it goes into the oven. The cheese melted and burned on the bottom of my skillet last time - I thought it might, but I was following directions. Maybe I left it on top of the stove too long? No burnt cheese next time. And I only had two layers last time - it will be three layers this time. Also, I'll use less butter. It was fine fresh out of the oven, but the leftovers were swimming in clarified butter/cheese. Is that too graphic? This was so good that I had a hard time not eating the whole thing at once! Even the leftovers were wonderful.

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »
I used about 1/2 cup of each like Umpa mentions.  I agree with SarahC and will use a little less butter next time.  My dish had 2 layers and I sliced the turnip with the gadget that TooSweet and Suzlyn recommended (spiral veggie slicer).  Worked great! 

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »
A vegetarian friend (and others) stopped by for dinner today and I made these Turnips Gratin for her. Instead of using chicken broth, I just boiled the cut-up turnips in water for about 10 minutes, then sprayed an 8 X 10 dish with non-stick, then layered the turnips with cream, cheeses, and garlic powder. I dotted the first layer with a scant tablespoon of butter. I used a variety of cheeses as I was cleaning out the fridge - Colby/Jack, Sharp Cheddar, Parmesan, Jarlesburg, and a little Pepper Jack. Different cheeses mixed in each layer - first layer was jarlesburg and colby/jack, second layer was cheddar and pepper jack, last layer was cheddar, jarlesburg and parmesan. Then I baked it for about 20 minutes at 350 - I just guessed, because I couldn't remember what the directions said. This dish was the hit of the party. It was perfect.

I also fixed flattened chicken rolled around cream cheese, nuts and celery, dipped in butter and dredged in crushed pork rinds seasoned with Italian seasoning - and made asparagus and cauliflower for side dishes. Pumpkin muffins, strawberries and whipped cream for dessert. Way too much food for one sitting. I ate sparingly.

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:30 PM »
I used shredded jicama tonight with the broth, butter, cream & Gruyere cheese (my new favorite)  ;). Pork chop that I slathered a little mayo on and tosses in crushed pork rinds! Wonderful  :) Can you post photo from iPad?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 09:11:16 AM »
How did the chicken turn out Sarah? :)
Doug says yes Amber ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 10:09:51 AM »
The chicken was good. Italian seasoned pork skins worked great. It would have been excellent if the chicken was chopped up and mixed with the cream cheese and then used as filling for the crescent rolls, but nobody but me knew that. I'm going to have some test time next month and plan on experimenting to find a good mix for tortillas and refrigerator rolls. I hope you beat me to it as I see lots of racoon food in my future. The Chicken fixed as crescent roll filling would have taken the Gratin on head-to-head, but as a wrap, the Chicken came in second. That Gratin was a beautiful dish.

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »
Here is a photo of the jicama gratin and pork chop.  I have made the jicama with sour cream and cheddar cheese but this gave it a creamier taste.  Made individual Ramekin's.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 01:27:02 PM »
Looks good ! ;) i havent forgotten the tortillas Sarah ;) Mailed taxes this morning!! :D Now I get playtime!