Author Topic: Need help: newbie  (Read 3851 times)

girlpi

• View Profile
    • Email
Need help: newbie
« on: September 12, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
Can someone please help me with determining the net carbs. If the label says Total Carbs and then shows sugars, not alcohol sugars, do you subtract the sugars if it is not alcohol sugar?

Also, should I be keeping track, on paper, of everything I eat so I don't go over 20 net carbs? I did fine at breakfast today but now I am having a BLT cobb salad from Wendy's and trying to pick out the tomatos. Grrrrr! It is hard to do when they have already mixed in tomatos and carrots in a salad.  Any suggestions?

Any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated. This is my first day. :-D

Mickey(Michelle)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need help: newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
Mickey,
Welcome to the forum.  To get the net carbs, take total carbs and subtract dietary fiber and sugar alcohols.  You don't subtract sugar.

You will find ways to eat out. 

Congratulations on your first day.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
Hi Mickey welcome to the family :) Relax, take it easy it will all come clear in a short time :) Andrea explained it correctly to you...I want to add that only products labeled sugar free or reduced sugar will have sugar alcohols. If you don't see them on the label then NET carbs are arrived by subtracting fiber from carbs. Eating out is really easy just remember meats (proteins) and greens, everything else stays off the plate....really simple :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:25:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum Mickey  ;D ;D   Don't worry you will get he hang of it real quickly.  And yes it is very helpful to keep a food log.  I've been doing this for over a year now and it is still helpful for me.  I always tend to forget to count something if I don't  ;)  sneaky carbs  Haha  Congrats on your first day  8)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 03:43:04 AM »
Welcome mickey - those labels are so tricky.  It drove me crazy when I first started.  I'm in Australia so the labelling is a bit different here.  On some products sugar alcohols and fibre have already been subtracted and on others not.  Always ask if you are confused, someone will always answer, until you have it sorted in your head.  I keep a food log too - it's just a notebook and I just jot down what I eat and add carbs as I go along.  If I'm away from home I just note it down on my phone.  Good luck, I'm sure you will do well.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 09:47:51 AM »
Welcome Mickey! If I can help you please ask.I am umpa dougs wife. I have a column on the home page called ask umpa where i can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.Enjoy the forum!

fineman

• I am truely blessed!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »
Hi Girlpi,
Welcome to the forum. You will always get help here. And will melt away the extra kilos very fast.
All the best.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Mickey!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

At first, it's the changes in habits that can be challenging
In time, you will find that the FTS lifestyle becomes so very easy.

I've been living this way over two years, and would never consider going back to my old ways.
My health is too important to me for that! ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

MrsF

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 03:20:57 AM »
Hi,

I'm also a newbie. I bought your book and lost 13 pounds in my first 10 days,  ;D but its started to creep back on again. I've only lost 8.5 pounds overall (17 days).  :-\

I'm bound to be going wrong somewhere! The only things I can think of is that I started using the health grill (george foreman) to cook some of my meat and I started drinking diet soda (coke and fanta), in my first week I was only drinking water. Would the above make a huge difference?

Also I'm in Scotland so some of the helpful advise in your book about what to buy doesn't help me because I cant buy most of it over here. Is there anywhere I can find out some UK alternatives? Like the crispbreads and tortillas?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 08:54:51 AM »
Hi MrsF welcome to the family! Diet soda can stall some people so revert back to water. To flavor your water simply drop a splash of diet soda into the glass, a can of soda goes a long way using this method. The easiest way for us to find the culprit in your intake would be for you to list everything you eat and drink daily on the forum...we'll analyze it for you and advise you accordingly.  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 08:58:34 AM »
MrsF welcome to the forum.I am Umpa,Dougs wife.If I can help you please ask  :) Start by taking your measurements .Women loses inches wicked quick.Our weight on the scale fluctuates. You will lose if you stay 20 or under its science.Sugar alcohols do cause some people to stall but others ,no problem. Keep your food simple.You don't need to buy specialty food items those are for convenience.If you want breads they are in the Fat to Skinny Bakery Book.There is also a recipe her on the forum for OMM.Its a bread that can be cooked in microwave in 2 minutes.Also you can post your meal plans for review,include everything that passes your lips.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.I would love to do some scottish recipes! ;)

MrsF

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »
Thank you for the advise, I'll get back on the water and note everything that I am eating so I can post them and find out where I am going wrong!

Umpa, I have felt the difference in my clothes already. That weight has all come off my stomach. I'll try to think of some recipes that I would like converted,that hopefully won't gross you out. Search 'haggis' and 'black pudding' and you'll see what I mean... Lol

And thanks for the warm welcome!

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 07:18:04 PM »
Search 'haggis' and 'black pudding' and you'll see what I mean... Lol
    :P :P :P  LOL

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
My maiden name is "Tweedy" MrsF. My fathers family comes from the tweed river in Scotland so I look forward to learning from you.Just Ask Umpa ;)