Author Topic: I never knew!  (Read 6670 times)

easytoforget

• View Profile
I never knew!
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:12:20 AM »
I went to Nevada for an overnight trip and had many struggles.  Well I've been having a hard week lol this was just a culmination. I went to lunch with a coworker and had to use a special menu to make sure I wasn't getting unnecessary sugar.  I haven't slipped in 27 days, but gosh going to restaurants with few options was soooooo hard these past few days.   I had to constantly remind myself of how good I felt.  I'd already been thinking about how hard it can seem to eat this way when trying to go about everyday living ie eating out, gatherings, shopping etc, but this was the breaking point for me. I NEVER KNEW how hard it must be for those who don't really have a "choice" to live a relatively sugar free lifestyle.  How do people with insulin resistance and those who need to monitor their sugar intake deal with the limited choices outside of home?  If I had the money I would totally open a restaurant/market where everything was low sugar or sugar free.  No special menus, no special requests, no bringing your own food to the restaurant required.  I guess what this boils down to is that on this quest to feel normal, I find myself feeling more and more abnormal.  I am missing the ability to just go out and enjoy myself without scrutinizing everything or feeling severely limited.

On a more positive note, I don't think I will ever go back to having sugar in my iced tea :) it's so good without it!
If seeing is believing, I've been blind a long time.

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I never knew!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 07:48:29 AM »
It does get easier.  As you slim down you will have much more confidence in yourself and won't feel uncomfortable asking for a different side dish or double veggies in place of potato.  It is usually easy enough for meat and salad.  Just be choosy about your restaurants.  Only frequent those that are willing to be helpful.  They should feel bad that their menu is difficult.  I find most of the time they are more than happy to make menu adjustments.  With so many people with food allergies they should be used to it.  They are in the customer service business and should want to make you happy.

Eating this way does get to be second nature.  Yesterday we ordered lunch at work.  Others had their usual burgers with fries, etc.  I had a lovely burger with bacon, cheese, tomato & lettuce (took it off the bun of course) with a beautiful salad.  Someone actually walked past my salad and commented how good it looked.  I didn't even care that I didn't have a bun.  After lunch they commented on how full they were, I felt comfortable and quite content.

As time goes by you won't even care about the foods you gave up because you will have found a replacement for it, and can enjoy eating without guilt.  Just hang in there, it will happen for you too.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:47:22 PM by ShihTzuMom1 »

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
I know what you mean. At first its hard but as time has passed it just opened my eyes to how bad we really eat.. My ex father in law just called me from Italy (he is on vacation) and he was telling how different they eat there.. Though they do consume carbs, they also walk alot and their foods are natural and not filled with all the fillers and crap we use here... He says that he people eating a lot and yet they are average looking in weight.. go figure right..

I have also found that Outbacks is really a cool place to eat yummy stuff and really healthier than anythimng else out there... 

It does get better and at the end of the day, if its too hard to decide because you dont knwo or dont want to ask, I stick with a grilled protein and a salad with oil and vinegar...

I wish you the best...
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »
I felt the same way you did the first two months. It was tough ordering with a group of people and feeling like I was the outcast. But as everyone else stated, it just suddenly becomes second nature. Your friends will start seeing how much you're losing and want to do it too. You will get more confidence with FTS and know off the top of your head what has what in it, and how much you can have. You won't feel like the strange one ordering anymore, you'll feel like the informed one taking control of the horrible sugars out there. Now I can go anywhere and eat the FTS way and not even worry about it. Just hang in there, you'll see.

As for the restaurant idea...that would be FANTASTIC! Great fresh tasting food that is low carb and safe for all to eat. Sounds like a winning idea. ;)
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:16:09 AM »
You know that if Doug and Umpa opened their "fast food F2S" place it would be successful.. for sure in south florida...
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »
 :D :D :D There aren't enough hours in the day! :D :D :D I would love to own my own Bakery though,maybe when I retire  ;)

easytoforget

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
It does get easier.  As you slim down you will have much more confidence in yourself and won't feel uncomfortable asking for a different side dish or double veggies in place of potato.  It is usually easy enough for meat and salad.  Just be choosy about your restaurants.  Only frequent those that are willing to be helpful.  They should feel bad that their menu is difficult.  I find most of the time they are more than happy to make menu adjustments.  With so many people with food allergies they should be used to it.  They are in the customer service business and should want to make you happy.

Eating this way does get to be second nature.  Yesterday we ordered lunch at work.  Others had their usual burgers with fries, etc.  I had a lovely burger with bacon, chees, tomato & lettuce (took it off the bun of course) with a beautiful salad.  Someone actually walked past my salad and commented how good it looked.  I didn't even care that I didn't have a bun.  After lunch they commented on how full they were, I felt comfortable and quite content.

As time goes by you won't even care about the foods you gave up because you will have found a replacement for it, and can enjoy eating without guilt.  Just hang in there, it will happen for you too.

It's not that I feel uncomfortable, it's the feeling of being limited. I can only do so many bouts with meat and vegetables at a restaurant lol I guess it's just frustrating that I can't simply sit down and have a meal and a glass of wine.  It doesn't help that I've felt really hungry more often throughout the day as well.  I'm really looking forward to the second nature portion of this :)

easytoforget

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
Thank you for the support Sherri and Alex :) I guess I just need to stick it out.  Before I started this way of living, eating out at nice restaurants was a welcomed treat and retreat as I'm the cook in my home.  It was nice to eat something that I couldn't make at home. Now it feels like a chore and I dread it lol just today I asked to be taken home while others went to lunch because I just didn't feel like pouring over a menu and eventually only being able to have meat and vegetables.  I'm throwing a lunch party tomorrow at a restaurant and I was looking over the menu and the frustration just came right back.  More meat and vegetables.  I wanted to have a pot luck at my home because I could at least control what I eat and make something delicious, but everyone wanted to go out.  I have to believe this is temporary and the huge parts of my life of dining out, culinary adventurousness, and wine tastings are not completely a thing of the past.  Thanks again everyone who commented! :D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »
Always remember this ditty;

Meats and greens will make you lean, sugar and carbs will make you large.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

easytoforget

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 05:37:08 PM »
Absolutely Doug :) But somehow that doesn't curb the desire for new and flavorful foods while dining out.  It's not only having meats and veggies, it's more about the limitations of how they are prepared in restaurants. It's like restaurants assume I don't want flavor because I'm choosing to forgo sauces and certain garnishes.  Hold the sauces seems to be a synonym for "please over cook this and hold the flavor".  I've definitely still got some adjusting to do.  I was feeling so good, I hadn't had a chance to really think about how this lifestyle might affect certain things long term.  I will find a way to enjoy eating out while continually learning and incorporating FTS!  I am determined.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 05:43:54 PM by easytoforget »

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »
Do you have any fresh Mexican restaurants around you? I'm not talking like a taco bell loaded down with frozen food kinda place, I mean a real tex-mex kind place that makes everything fresh. I find I can eat so much there and they are great with making it the way I want. The flavors explode and I don't ever feel like I'm missing out. Also, I love cobb salads and almost everything in it we can eat. They are HUGE, available at most restaurants and fill ya right up. Just be sure to substitute the tomatoes for red pepper slices. I find I love red peppers chopped up better than tomatoes.

Don't worry, it will become second nature and the best thing about FTS is you don't feel like you have to give anything up. Changing things around though is necessary or you won't lose any weight.

Hang in there, you can do work this out. Just need to find your grove and your favorites at you restaurants. I know I felt the same way when I started.
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 06:55:09 PM »
me...myself....and i......never gave a second thought to what anyone else thought about what we wanted to eat.....we always took our lo-carb tortilla's wherever we went:) and never thought twice about ordering off the menu:) really..... if you're the customer it should NEVER be a problem,and honestly,it has never been an issue at any place we've been to,each and everyone has been MORE than happy to oblige any request:) get busy and lose the weight.....excuses are a dime a dozen....
    results are PRICELESS:)

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 07:13:55 PM »
I just LOVE what Doug said.  It's a mantra I repeat over and over.  I still feel like an outcast with my family even  though they have mostly gotten use to it, I still hear something..."why can't you just eat one or a little of this...you make it hard for us to fix anything when you visit."  Most of the time I just bring my own food with me. lol  My boss tells me its ridiculous not to eat the bun when she takes me to a business lunch when she comes to town.  I just laugh it off but inside it does makes me feel a little bad that she just won't accept my dietary choices.  I just mostly think how great I feel having lost weight and inches and that makes me feel better about it even though I get flack for it.  I wonder if I was diabetic instead of making a choice not to eat sugar if that would make a difference. lol  Most restaurants we go to are willing to make exceptions or substitutions even if I have to pay a little extra, which I shouldn't. I bring my own SF dressing with me for salad out.  Try eating a little something before you go so you won't feel so inclined to eat as much at the restaurant.

Just keep at it and you'll feel and see the results which will make you stronger and more committed to staying away from the "evil" foods that make you fat. :)

Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

easytoforget

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »
Thanks Sherri and Katary :) It's not about embarrassment or being uncomfortable about toting foods to a restaurant or requesting specialized meals or a fear of over eating, it's more the inconvenience that it seems to pose and the lack of flavorful options at the restaurants I've been to.  Eating out was an exciting relief where I could relax, but since I'm still learning what's ok and what's not to eat, it's become a bit overwhelming and waaaay less enjoyable.  Once I get more used to this lifestyle change, I'm sure things will come easier.  Even with all these questions and doubts, I haven't slipped and I don't plan to.  Thanks again everyone!

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 07:37:35 PM »
:D :D :D There aren't enough hours in the day! :D :D :D I would love to own my own Bakery though,maybe when I retire  ;)

Umpa I thought about how successful a low-carb/sugar free restaurant would probably be but I think most wouldn't do it because it would limit their clientele...then again who knows.  I'm with ya...when I retire or win the lottery I'd love to do something like this.lol
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!