Author Topic: I never knew!  (Read 6669 times)

easytoforget

• View Profile
Re: I never knew!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »
Izzet, I've run into that too :) My family is big into balance. So avoiding sugar almost exclusively is crazy to them.  I hear moderation and balance a lot. Regarding the restaurant.  I don't think clientele would be limited at all. Good food is good food :) Good healthy food is just plain great! I've been sharing low sugar options with my coworkers and they're all surprised how great things can taste without flours and excess added sugars.  Lol I already have the name for my restaurant, specialty items we would carry and the first cities we would franchise in..I'm only missing one key thing :P Money.

Sherri, I forgot to answer your question. I live in the southwest so there are a multitude of Mexican restaurants around.  And I don't consider taco bell Mexican food or food for that matter lol
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:52:13 PM by easytoforget »
If seeing is believing, I've been blind a long time.

Rena

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 08:59:29 PM »
Do an online search of your favorite restaurants. Most of them list their menus and nutrition facts right on their websites now. Some even give you an option of printing them up. It really helps knowing what you CAN eat before you even leave the house. I've been doing this and found there are a lot more choices out there than I thought. Good luck!

easytoforget

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 09:19:18 PM »
Hi Rena,

Thank you for the suggestion!  That does help and we actually always do that before going out to try a new place or if we want to cut down on decision time when going to our favorite restaurants.  I don't know if you've experienced this, but I've been running into problems with restaurants not having adequate nutritional information sometimes so I try to go by ingredients.  If I can't absolutely discern what's in it, I'll pass on it to be safe. 

That's really what this whole post was about :) This past week really made me acknowledge the obstacles those without many choices in their sugar free diet may face when going out.  I would love to have a place where scrutinizing menus and bringing your own food to a restaurant is unnecessary.  Just hop on down to a delicious low sugar restaurant and dine, no sweat.  Oh to dream! Until then, I'll be taking the advice of all of you guys :) I am now in NIKE mode. JUST DO IT!

shawn116

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »
Hi Easytoforget

You know the sad thing about people that have to watch their sugar (diabetics and the like) they are told no problem we will just give you meds so you don't have to worry about all the sugar.  I was told as a new diabetic that I needed 188 carbs a day, 62 per meal and 1500 calories!!   :o :o  My guess is I needed that to counter the meds I was taking..... three including insulin.  It's no wonder I couldn't control it!!  You don't know you are doing wrong because the info comes from the doctors!!  Now that I am eating the FTS way I don't need the meds and my sugar is normal again..... You are right I think our country needs more healthy choices out there.  You have a great idea  ;)

easytoforget

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 09:51:03 PM »
Hi Toosweet!

I'm so happy this lifestyle has given you freedom from meds! Diabetes runs heavily in my family and I have NEVER seen any of my family members change the way they eat to combat it.  They end up on meds, blind, missing limbs etc. even dead. But they don't lose weight or change their diet. I don't know one who has reversed diabetes once diagnosed.  My cousin died at 26, yes 26 from diabetes.  He simply went into a coma and never woke up.  He, like many of us, was obese.

I really wonder if people had easy access to substitutes (ie delicious sugar free/low sugar foods) like they have access to fast food or if they knew they could still eat great out of and inside the home, would they still take risks with their health for that burger, fried chicken, or macaroni and cheese?

You are a great encouragement for me to stick with this! It's great to read from everyone how well this works if done consistently :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 10:45:18 PM »
Hi easytoforget! :)

As you've probably noticed, those of us that have been living this lifestyle for a length of time,
ALL had similar experiences that you're having when we were starting out.

As time goes by, it really does get much easier!

Keep the faith... Stay the course... And you'll do just fine! :)
What you do today is what matters!

easytoforget

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 12:11:39 AM »
Thank you for the encouragement mouseissue! :) I am looking forward to being as successful, helpful, and knowledgeable as you are.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
When the weight starts pouring off easytoforget,your whole outlook will change.There is a replacement for everything, just ask umpa. ;)
Doug and I have a rule,Every bite is spectacular.We love good food.I have never been to a restaurant that the chef would not accommodate me,they want your money.I also find a lot of the chefs are overweight and totally understand because they have diabetes.You are talking about eating out as a social hour,do your research before you go like sherripie said and all will be well/ :)