Author Topic: Chinese Restaurant - please help  (Read 2138 times)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
Chinese Restaurant - please help
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:22:14 PM »
My office is taking someone who is retiring to a fancy Chinese restaurant.  I can't not go.  However, I haven't really tried ordering in a restaurant since starting FTS.  What can I get that is low carb?  I realize that most of the sauces are off limits, as are noodles, dumplings, and egg rolls.  I love spicy Chinese food, but I am afraid I am only going to be able to order steamed chicken and vegetables.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Mark

scottinflorida

Re: Chinese Restaurant - please help
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:42:17 AM »
Mark - we have an amazing Chinese restaurant here in Clearwater.  They actually have a full salad bar as part of the buffet.  And there are lots of different varieties of chicken, as well as steak and fish.

In most cases, a restaurant's website will include its menu so if you check that ahead of time, you can plan your ordering before you get there.  Then the decision is mostly already made, rather than trying to choose food while surrounded by all the great food and tempting aromas.

The one we go to here is also an "all you can eat" buffet and I had to get past the psychological part of not going back for a second plate.  Going back to the buffet to "fill up" again was such a habit for such a long time, for me it felt like I wasn't really getting my money's worth if I just got one plate of food.  Screw that.  You know what the right thing to do is.  Just decide "one trip" before you walk in the door and stick to it.  You can do it!

Let us know how it goes!

Scott

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »
Hi Mark 

I know Chinese is sometimes tough but there are many restaurants that will have options on their menu you can order.  Otherwise you will need to ask your server for a few changes.  I have yet to be in a place that hasn't wanted to give me what I wanted.  I just explain that I can't have sugar or starch.  Most of the time I'll ask for a simple stir fry without any sauce or just have it on the side.  Also don't forget you can actually have an egg roll or spring roll....the majority of the carbs are coming from the wrapper.   I have always loved crab rangoon!!  I just can't have the wonton around it anymore.  The inside is where the flavor is anyway.   ;)

Scott has a great idea to check on line for a menu.  Maybe even check the place out in person before you have to be there with the crowd?  It's always a good idea to go with a plan.    If it were me that was going, I would take along some low carb sauce or a little spice.  For instance some sugar free teriyaki sauce, garlic pepper, or Chinese five spice just in case I have to order just steamed veggies and meat...LOL   

Most of all have a great time!!   :)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:45:56 PM »
Scott and TooSweet,  Thanks for the suggestions.  I checked the menu online and found lots of sushi (of course with rice), teriyaki, tempora (breaded), as well as full Thai and Chinese menus.  We are going for lunch tomorrow (Friday).  I would have the teriyaki, but I doubt they are using a low carb sauce.   I think I will go for a chicken and vegetable stir fry with no sauce, and hold the rice.  One interesting dish I saw is Sauteed Tofu, Chicken & Minced Salt Fish in Clay Pot.  That sounds great, but it depends on what it is sauteed with.  I will let you know how it goes.

Mark

Fernandez

• View Profile
    • Refrigerator For Sale
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 02:52:36 AM »
Hi,
I have always been a sucker for Indo-Chinese food . I mean during those teenage years, thanks to few friends, some of the dishes that I have fallen in love with are in fact Indian Chinese fusion food. I did not care to know the cuisine and the food specifics did not matter then. All that mattered was that delightful plate of scrumptious food. Years down the line, I know better. I know more.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:21:00 AM by Doug Varrieur »

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 05:24:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum Fernandez  ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »
EASY answer :) Protein and veggie stir fry's without the sauce added :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »
Welcome Fernandez! I am Umpa,Dougs wife. If I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.Enjoy the forum :)