Author Topic: Low Carb Pasta Sauce  (Read 6109 times)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
Low Carb Pasta Sauce
« on: January 07, 2013, 09:10:46 AM »
I was in the grocery store last night and I wanted to get some pasta sauce to use with my miracle noodles as well as my pork rind chicken parm.  Anyway, I must have looked at more than 50 jars, from store brand to gourmet ($7.99 per bottle), plain, flavored, marinara, pizza sauce, organic... every conceivable kind.  The net carbs per serving ranged from 4 to 14 grams.  Of course the lowest carb count was in the most expensive sauce.  Even the plain "pizza sauce" had 5 net carbs.

I tried the Walden Farms sauce, and found it inedible.  I was never a fan of sweet tomato sauce, so it amazes me how much sugar companies put in their sauce.  I never made my own "gravy" (as my Italian friends call it) before, but I am thinking that might be the way I have to go.  Can someone please recommend a good, low carb pasta sauce?  Thanks.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Low Carb Pasta Sauce
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
Making your own is always a great option. You don't need more than 1/4 -1/2 cup per serving depending on meal. The lowest I have found is a 3 carb per serving.Your marinaras are always the lowest.If you need a recipe let me know or post your gravy recipe in Ask Umpa and I will convert it. ;)

mdanziger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:21:11 AM »
Thanks Umpa.  I am sure there is a tomato sauce recipe on the forum somewhere, but if you have a specific one you recommend, that would be great.

Mark

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »
I have found  "Blue Parrot" brand at Walmart and COSTCO and it is 3 grams per serving.  It is a Colorado made product so I'm not sure if it is available nationally.  I live in the Denver area.

jetfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
Got one you may like.
Victoria Pasta sauce. four Cheese. 2 net carbs per 1/2 cup.
www.victoriapacking.com
Failure can be measured by the steps we don't take.

mdanziger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:20:05 PM »
Thanks guys.

@Andrea: I don't think Blue Parrot is here in the northeast, or at least not at my Walmart.

@Jetfan: That does look good.

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 05:36:49 PM »
I make alot of things I didn't used to make for "self preservation"!!   Pasta Sauce, Pizza Sauce, Salad Dressings.  It's all really very easy and if you make up a big batch of pasta sauce you could portion it out and freeze it.   :)

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Low Carb Pasta Sauce
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »
I use dom peppino pizza sauce it is 3 net carbs for 1\4 cup and I get it at shoprite or walmart:P:P

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 08:31:31 AM »
Pasta sauce is easy.How much would you like to make? ;) How many people at the dinner table?

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »
Umpa is right.... pasta sauce is easy peasy but I like to keep quick fixes around the house.   This is the one I buy at my local
Walmart http://www.mezzetta.com/product/10700948.html?Search=homemade   I can usually find it at my other grocery that I shop at as well. 
 Here is the nutritional low down on it:
 http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-mezzetta-napa-valley-bistro-pasta-i229680

Here is a few recipes to try if you want to make your own:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/marinara_sauce.html

I had this one in my low carb cook book on the computer

Pasta sauce

6 plum tomatoes
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

1. - Chop up the tomatoes

2. - Throw everything into a food processor or blender and puree it.

3. - Bring it to a boil in a small saucepan then reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered until the quantity is reduced by half.

4. ( remember to stir occasionally to avoid sticking)

Or the same above with a two cans of Hunt's Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano I would blend one can and leave the other chunky and cook it all down.  I like lots of meat and mushrooms in mine....so throw what you like in and simmer some more. 

Here is the one I like to use as well if I have time to make it: 

Homemade Marinara Sauce

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small shallots, coarsly chopped
2 cloves garlic clove minced
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbsp tomato paste
3 drops zero
2 tsp parsley flakes
1 1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb lean ground beef
1 small can mushrooms, sliced

1. Dice the shallots and garlic and sauté them for a few minutes in the same pot that you will cook the sauce in.  Why dirty another pan right?   Be careful not to burn the garlic it will turn bitter. 
Process one can of tomatoes, the tomato paste, zero and spices in food processor or blender and add it to the shallot and garlic.  If you are using fresh mushrooms you can add them in now.  Simmer on low to reduce down watching that it doesn’t scorch.  At this point you can add your drained canned mushrooms and cooked hamburger meat.  (Italian sausage is nice too)  Serve over zucchini noodles, miracle noodles, cabbage, cauli-rice….etc

Servings: 8

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/8 of a recipe (5.4 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 207.8
Calories From Fat (67%) 140.02
% Daily Value
Total Fat 15.3g 24%
Saturated Fat 5.21g 26%
Cholesterol 42.53mg 14%
Sodium 441.9mg 18%
Potassium 398.01mg 11%
Total Carbohydrates 6.58g 2%
Fiber 1.72g 7%
Sugar 3.32g
Net Carbohydrates 4.86g
Protein 11.22g 22%

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »
I simmer spaghetti sauce in the oven in my roasting pan.  The heat is more even and it doesn't stick or scorch.

I have an old Jennaire cooktop with 2 burners and a griddle.  I think I started using the oven whenever possible to free up cook top space.  The oven/roasting pan also works for boiling jars when you are canning or making jam.  Necessity is the mother of invention, or so I've heard.

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 05:01:28 PM »
Awesome idea Andrea!!  I sure hate a scorched anything  :P :P   I learned the hard way a long time ago that a scorched bottom will ruin the whole pot even if you try to poor the rest off...LOL 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 08:52:07 AM »
I miss my Jenaire! It was wicked cool Andrea! Great recipes Toosweet! :)

mdanziger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 09:22:34 AM »
I love this forum... I was just expecting people to say "I love xyz sauce" and I got some great recipes.  Thank you all, especially Toosweet for taking the time to post those.

Mark

shawn116

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 04:03:09 PM »
Just sharing the love  ;D ;D  

I just wanted to add that I made this the other day for the fam.   For me though I made a little dish using the macaroni shaped tofu noodles.  My Italian casserole is pretty simple.  Pasta with the sauce below...lots of pepperoni and tons of cheese and baked to a yummy gooey goodness.  I have to say mine came out pretty darn good!!  The noodles were still a bit different but I was impressed.  I will definitely be making that again.  I wish I had gotten a picture....it sure was pretty coming out of the oven too  :-\

I had bought those noodles to try a mac and cheese recipe....I guess I need to restock...HA!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:05:00 PM by TooSweet »