Author Topic: low potassium  (Read 5019 times)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
low potassium
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »
My doctor said my Potassium levels are a bit low.  He recommended bananas, sweet potatoes or yellow squash.  These don't really work with FTS, do they.  Should I just get a supplement, or do you guys have suggestions of high potassium FTS friendly foods?  As always, thanks.

Mark

shawn116

Re: low potassium
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:57:43 PM »
You can go for the yellow squash Yummy  ;D   

This is a list of foods that are rich in potassium listed on this link that are FTS friendly :  http://nutrition.about.com/od/foodfun/p/potassium_foods.htm

Strawberries
Greens
Spinach
Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Soy and soy foods
Many veggie burgers
Turkey
Beef
Salmon
Cod

I also found this interesting that adds a few more to the list:  http://www.livestrong.com/article/268978-low-carb-high-potassium-foods/

But you could always add in a supplement to be sure  ;)

Hope this helps  :)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:54:52 PM »
Fantastic.  Thanks TooSweet. You are, um, too sweet.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:03:10 PM by mdanziger »

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 10:10:21 PM »
Try "No Salt"

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »
 ;D ;D :-*

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:55:33 AM »

My doctor said my Potassium levels are a bit low.  He recommended bananas, sweet potatoes or yellow squash.  These don't really work with FTS, do they.  Should I just get a supplement, or do you guys have suggestions of high potassium FTS friendly foods?  As always, thanks.

Mark

Hi Mark,I find it interesting that your Doctor only hit the mark on one veggie   sweet potato. 7 out of the top 10 veggies highest in Potassium are FTS approved  ::) The ones you should stay away from are in YELLOW.  Potassium is an essential nutrient used to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance in the body. A deficiency in potassium causes fatigue, irritability, and hypertension (increased blood pressure). Overdose of potassium from natural sources is nearly impossible, however, it is possible to consume too much potassium via potassium salts which can lead to nausea, vomiting, and even cardiac arrest. Potassium from natural food sources, like the ones listed below, are considered safe and healthy. The current percent daily value for potassium is a whopping 3.5 grams, below is a list of vegetables high in potassium.

#1: Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Potassium 100g   Potassium in 1 cup (54g)

#2: Spinach
Potassium 100g (Raw)   1 Cup (Raw - 30g)   1 Cup (Cooked - 180g)

#3: Swiss Chard (Cooked)
Potassium 100g   Potassium in 1 Cup Chopped (175g)

#4: Mushrooms
Potassium 100g   Potassium in 1 Cup Diced (86g)

#5: Sweet Potato (With Skin)
Potassium 100g   Potassium in 1 Cup (200g)   Average Potato (114g)

#6: Kale (Raw)
Potassium 100g   Potassium in 1 Cup (67g)

#7: Brussels Sprouts
Potassium 100g   Potassium in 1 Cup (88g)   Potassium in 1 Sprout (19g)

#8: Zucchini With Skin
Potassium 100g   Potassium in 1 Cup (180g)

#9: Green (Snap) Beans
Potassium 100g   Potassium in 1 Cup (110g)

#10: Asparagus
Potassium 100g   Potassium in 1 Cup (134g)

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:15:37 PM »
I like this list too http://www.drugs.com/cg/potassium-content-of-foods-list.html

If you scroll way down to the bottom of the page you will find the best food on the list in my opinion!!!  Another great reason to eat chocolate  ;D ;D ;D

A one and one-half ounce chocolate bar (169).

Keep in mind of course not all on these lists are FTS friendly   ;)

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
Doesn't Bouillion also have potassium?  I think I remember reading that on here to drink if you get leg cramps due to low potassium??

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
Doesn't Bouillion also have potassium?  I think I remember reading that on here to drink if you get leg cramps due to low potassium??

Hi, Kim! :)

Leg cramps can also be caused by sodium (salt) deficiency.
Bouillon is very high in sodium.
Not sure if bouillon will help a potassium deficiency.

Tony
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:51:57 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 05:01:30 AM »
I'm taking a potassium and magnesium supplement when I take my vitamins....keeps me from getting leg cramps.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »
99 % of leg cramps are caused by not enough water ;) Doug suffered for years until we learned that ;)

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: low potassium
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 04:12:05 AM »
Thank G*d I don't suffer from leg cramps since I started FTS

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
Ahhh water, that put light bulb in my head!!! I definitely need to drink more water!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 09:01:09 AM »
Its funny how we always miss the simple things ;)

MarkMoxom

• View Profile
    • LowCarb Mag
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 10:24:13 PM »
Hi Mark!

Although you could take potassium tablets, they are  in fact a very poor substitute for natural potassium that you can get in your food. If you think about it, there are a number of advantages in  relying on food sources for potassium when compared with taking tablets.

The first of those is that food sources actually can contain 8 or more times the amount of potassium than the single potassium tablet may do. Most green vegetables are quite high in potassium, things like brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus and cooked spinach for instance has over 800 mg per cup so with 3 servings of green vegetables each day, that could quiet easily add up to 2,500 to 3,000 mg of potassium from a natural source.

The other advantage of choosing a natural source like that is of course, that it enters the body slowly and being biological in origin, that type of potassium is far more readily used in the various bodily processes that require it just for them to work properly.

It is a fact that our body does need potassium but being slightly lacking in potassium is not as crucial as some might imagine. What’s more important is the ratio between potassium and sodium in the standard American diet or to some extent even the standard western diet. The amount of salt that is found in processed foods is quite frankly dangerously high, again not so much because there is a lot of salt but simply because there is very, very little potassium to go with it. So you might be wondering, what is the ratio? At a minimum it should be 1:1 that is for every 1 gm of salt you have, you should have 1 gm of potassium in your food. However it’s far better to have a slightly more potassium than sodium or salt if you prefer because potassium plays a crucial role in so many body functions. We need potassium for muscle contraction, neurotransmission, glycogen formation, heart and kidney functions and adrenal functions and a whole host of other things. If we don’t have potassium then that could give rise to things like water retention, muscular weakness and cramps, constipation, heart irregularities, hypertension and raised blood pressure.

Now while I said we need to make sure that our potassium intake is slightly higher than our salt intake, that doesn’t mean to say that we should cut down on salt because salt is also crucial for many of our bodily functions and you’ll quite often find it used in the same process as potassium. For instance in things like muscle contraction as well as throughout our whole nervous system. I would also encourage people to stay away from commercially produced salt simply because commercially produced are man made salt and has quite a few things added to it that you wouldn’t really put in your body if you knew they were there at a choice. They’re mainly put in to commercial salt to act as flow agents or to absorb moisture, things like aluminosilicate and ferrocyanide.

In Europe, we also have to put up with fluoride being added to our table salt which is why it is important as much as possible to try and use salt from natural sources. The advantage of that is that natural salt is only around about 85% sodium chloride the rest is made up of natural trace minerals which include things like phosphorus, silicon, vanadium and others which are also going to aid the various chemical processes that go on in the body day by day.

Another point to bear in mind is the ratio between our salt and potassium intake and how much we drink each day. This becomes even more crucial for people who are involved in physical activity and it is obviously much more healthier to balance these things out to fit our activity level, lifestyle and general health needs.

Hope that helps,

Mark

This is a vastly complex subject. I’ve done my best to bring out just the salient points here that is worth noting and not only should we make sure we have adequate levels of potassium but also manganese and calcium as these form a delicate balance of electrolytes in our body that are crucial for good bodily function.
Editor of LowCarb Mag
http://lowcarbmag.com/