Author Topic: How do you deal with low carb naysayers?  (Read 3292 times)

SusansTurn

• View Profile
How do you deal with low carb naysayers?
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
I hate to feel defensive about how I eat, but some people make me feel that way! ARGH!

Boy, the reaction I got when I told a couple of women at lunch that I don't eat carrots! By the way, not one of them has ever had a weight problem. I explained I don't want the sugar from carrots and they said, oh well they have fiber, and oh it's natural sugar, blah blah blah. I said I eat low carb and I get fiber from other things. I tried very hard not to be defensive about it. I hope I succeeded.

So how do you deal with people like that?

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How do you deal with low carb naysayers?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »
You've already taken the first step by knowing that you've made the right choice for you.  You can be proud of the fact that the decision and the actions you need to put them into practice take discipline and dedication that is hard to do, especially if you are used to putting other people first.

My response to naysayers is pretty simple.  I say, "It's a choice I've made with my doctor's support and it works for me."  That shuts up the negative people and opens the door for questions from the others.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:22 PM »
Fantastic response, Andrea! :) :) :)
What you do today is what matters!

SusansTurn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 01:35:04 PM »
Perfect Andrea! Thank you!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:43:45 AM »
Good one Andrea ;) I say lose  the weight and make them eat their words,the proof is in the pudding :)

AliciaInTX

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 12:51:02 PM »
I actually live with one!!  ::)  He's very into counting his calories and does very well with it and has lost a lot of weight! I'm GLAD that he's found what works for him. THIS works for me. :) When he teases me about trying not to go heavy on tomatoes or other veggies that are higher in carbs, I just smile, shrug and say, "Hey! So far, this has worked out really well for me, so I'm sticking to it." I've been eating this way since the first of the year and I've learned by trial and error on some of the foods that I "thought" were okay. I weigh myself daily....something I know isn't recommended but it's told me a lot about how the things I eat and drink effect my weight loss. I'm SUPER strict on my diet and I know I might sound a little fanatical about it from time to time. But this is WORKING for me and I couldn't be happier! Do what you feel works for you and just smile and know that you're making the best choices for you. YOU are the one that has to live with the repercussions of your food choices, not your friends.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:32:54 PM »
...YOU are the one that has to live with the repercussions of your food choices, not your friends.

Hi Alicia! :)

I would add "or loved ones.".

Truer words have never been spoken.
We all should remember this!

Tony

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »
4O POUNDS DOWN ALICIA??? THAT IS AWESOME!! HOT CHICK DANCE!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:49:32 AM »
4O POUNDS DOWN ALICIA??? THAT IS AWESOME!! HOT CHICK DANCE!

Emmitt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »
Well put Andrea! I've told my friends that I have health issues so it did shut them up. Someone told me yesterday that we need to "balance" - I told her I disagree and I will stick with my plan! ;)

You've already taken the first step by knowing that you've made the right choice for you.  You can be proud of the fact that the decision and the actions you need to put them into practice take discipline and dedication that is hard to do, especially if you are used to putting other people first.

My response to naysayers is pretty simple.  I say, "It's a choice I've made with my doctor's support and it works for me."  That shuts up the negative people and opens the door for questions from the others.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 03:16:52 PM »
Hi Audra! :)

With FTS, we DO "balance".
We eat our proteins, fats, and low carb veggies, and low-carb high-fiber foods.

We simply avoid starches (wheat, rice, etc.), sucrose (cane sugar), and fructose (fruit sugar).
All these things are BAD for our bodies in more ways than just making us FAT!

People need to stop thinking that we must load up on carbs to be healthy.
That has contributed to (and sustains) the obesity problem in our country!

Just remember, there will always be those who will NEVER give ups their sugars and carby foods.
And like the rest of us, must live with the consequences of their decisions.