Author Topic: I love this board!  (Read 1672 times)

sansucre

• View Profile
I love this board!
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »
I was brainwashed for so many years believing the low-fat diet garbage. I never had a weight problem until my mid-forties when I hit menopause. I gained 60 pounds, ended up with type II diabetes and was miserable. I tried Weight Watchers and all the popular "diets" and never dropped more than 3-5 pounds.

A year ago my father passed away and due to stress my blood sugar was out of control. I freaked out and read a book on diabetes and started low carb - not to lose weight; but to get my blood sugar down. To my surprise, I dropped 23 pounds fairly fast. I moved out of state, long story, and had a really stressful year. Although I didn't stick to low carb perfectly during the past year, I did NOT gain that 23 pounds back. Well, I am pulling my life back together to start over in the state I live in now and again, blood sugar out of control. I found this site and it's helping me tremendously. I bought Doug's book and downloaded the cookbooks. I have lost 7 pounds in the past two weeks and I figure I have at least 30 more pounds to go.

One thing I really appreciate about this site is the recipes for vegetables. When I eat low carb it's SO easy to just eat meat and cheese and forget the veggies but veggies bring my blood sugar down. The side dish recipes here sound really good and it's what I need to make sure I get them into my diet every day. I am really feeling motivated and hope to get the type II diabetes under control along with going back to my normal weight.

Thanks everyone!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I love this board!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
If I can help you at all please ask.Menopause is tough,but you can conquer it! :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:33:41 PM »
Welcome to the family sansucre :) I like you fell into that fat free trap and .....well you know the story, you read the book!  ::) I look forward to watching your journey from FAT TO SKINNY!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:52:59 PM »
Welcome... I can tell you that my sugar levels are back to normal and though I still take meds, I havent had a spike in a long time.. 

PS I am still taking my meds until my next AIC at which time I will be able to see where I am...
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:01:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  Everyone here is SO nice and helpful. You will love it!!

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:58:37 AM »
Welcome... I so understand what you are saying.  My sugar was way out of control.  I didn't think I would ever be free of having to take the meds but here I am.  My doc took me off of every one that I was on.  ( I was taking 3 different ones)  I have only been doing this diet for a month now.  I am amazed at how well I feel.  I still keep a check on my sugar through out the day but am starting to relax knowing what spikes my sugar and what doesn't.  To many carbs for sure will...LOL  Many of the recipes are so delicious!!  Good luck with your journey.  ;)