Author Topic: Blood Test Results  (Read 5128 times)

owensmath

Blood Test Results
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:03:41 PM »
So, here is how it looks, but I see the doctor on Jan 6th for him to see and interpret the results.
Before FTS:
In March: hA1C was 11, cholesterol was too high (don't remember the actual number)
After starting FTS in April (and starting on metformin)
In June: hA1C was 6.4, cholesterol was close to normal
This week: hA1C is 5.8, cholesterol is 152, down 51 pounds since starting FTS and 76 pounds total.
However, now my TSH is showing up as "abnormal" on this lab's results 4.920 and it says that the limits are 0.450 - 4.500. I have read online today about this and it seems that there are variations in the limits on what NORMAL is for this issue. This makes some sense to me after having read a lot of information today about one of the main symptoms I have been experiencing: I am cold all the time, so much more than I used to be and so much colder than my family is in the same environment. I cannot get warm enough at night. I sleep in about three layers of clothes (sweaters) and I'm under sheets, blanket, and comforter.
Anyone have any ideas or information?

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Test Results
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 10:48:09 PM »
I don't know anything about thyroid, but congrats on the rest.  I'm sure your Dr. will be very pleased with your blood sugar results and your weight loss.  WTG!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
Hello Donna :) Congrats on the test results and the weight loss! I feel for you gals as you hit the menopause age all sorts of yucky stuff happens to you including hypothyroidism. I'm pretty sure that's what your doc will diagnose. Careful with the treatment though, go holistically if you can.

In the meantime buy yourself and electric blanket and exercise more to keep the blood pumping. This would be a great time of your for you to pick up a used tradmill cheap, check the Iwanna in your area and start getting in some cardio. If you can't get a treadmil sprint in place for 10-15 minutes straight while watching TV.  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:06:07 PM »
Hi owensmath,  :)

My wife has been fighting hypothyroidism for years including a feeling of being very cold especially nighttime.
It had gotten worse since she started to show other symptoms of menopause (hot flashes, moodiness, etc.).
Since she started losing weight by eating low-carb, it has gotten a bit better.

Being winter, we don't walk as much as we did before.
She does notice that when she does exercise (i.e. take walks), the symptoms are lessened.
So she'll "walk in place" on days we don't walk together.

Like Doug says, start to exercise more strenuously then before. It seems to help my wife.
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »
I am also in menopause and exercising  helps tremendously! I also take herbal infusions.I am very concerned about estrogen replacement My mom also has a hypo thyroid ,hers dissolved so she is on synthroid has been forever.i remember being with her in 100 degree heat and her being cold! It was weird!If you like I will contact her owensmath and see if she has any advice for you.

owensmath

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 10:18:37 AM »
Umpa, that would be great! In the meantime, I'm drinking hot tea all day long because it warms me up from the inside out. I bought caffeine free green tea.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:57:03 AM »
 :) STAY WARM ! I will send her a email today

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »
My mom called this morning and she said your issue is water.Minimum of one liter per day . She said if your thyroid meds aren't taking care of it,its water.If you would like to speak to her further i can give you her email.She will be back from Arizona in about a week . :)

owensmath

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 04:50:53 PM »
I have never had a thyroid issue before so I am not on meds. I drink tons of water. I carry my refillable water bottle everywhere. My students laugh at me because I always have a couple gallon jugs behind my desk fir refilling all day long.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 08:26:15 AM »
Could it just be menopause?

owensmath

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »
I guess my doctor might give me insight next week at my appt. I read that soy aggravates it too and I've had chili with soy beans several times and have been using the soy flour and protein shakes.

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 11:09:26 AM »
You could have low sodium from drinking so much.