Author Topic: Day 1 of my journey is in the books!  (Read 2237 times)

wawaperry

• View Profile
    • Email
Day 1 of my journey is in the books!
« on: August 04, 2012, 02:02:29 AM »
Thanks everyone for all of the warm welcomes! Today was a very interesting and revealing day 1. I sincerely believe by the time the weekend is out I'm going to have the hang of all the things that I should eat and don't. I went to a Luby's cafeteria here in Houston, after I left my office and ordered a Blackened grilled chicken breast with Spinach, and seasoned okra. WOW! I was blowed away that the chicken breast equated to 9 teaspoons of sugar because of the skin. None the less like Sir Doug has stated be prepared to start cooking delicious things at home. It's a pretty amazing and humbling experience of learning a revelation such as this after losing 60 pounds over the last 3 years, but really never being about to forge on and lose additional weight, even after consistently working out 3-5 times a week like I currently do. As far as the Gluten free snacks I was indulging in, they are all in the trash, as well as countless other things that I was embracing as super healthy from my Naked, and Odwalla spinach drinks to many other things. My whole perception of fruit as forever change after reading this Phenomenal Book because those primarily were my snacks during the day at my office. This is going to be one Phenomenal Journey that I'm embarking on thanks to Sir Doug's "Fat to Skinny" gift. I again want to thank you all for your kind remarks, and I look so forward to learning from you all.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Day 1 of my journey is in the books!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 07:18:19 AM »
You are gonna do great:)

Southern Belle

• Making changes! All day every day!!! ::)
    • View Profile
Re: Day 1 of my journey is in the books!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:53:06 AM »
Wawaperry! I, too, am a fan of Naked but was overwhelmed at how much sugar it has! I begin my FTS journey tomorrow... and I look forward to reading about your success along the way!  ::)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »
... I went to a Luby's cafeteria here in Houston, after I left my office and ordered a Blackened grilled chicken breast with Spinach, and seasoned okra. WOW! I was blowed away that the chicken breast equated to 9 teaspoons of sugar because of the skin. None the less like Sir Doug has stated be prepared to start cooking delicious things at home. ...

Hi Wawaperry! :)

Chicken skin has 0 carbs.
The coating used to blacken the chicken is probably LOADED with SUGAR! :P
That's where the 9 tsp sugar came from.

This is also true of most all prepackaged BBQ sauces.
Sugar is used to aid in the carmelization process (i.e. the browning of sugar) and make it "stick" to the food.

Making things at home is always the best bet. That way, you know EVERYTHING that went into it. 8)

We've also enjoyed Walden Farms sugar free, 0 carb BBQ sauces at my house for a long time.
In fact, just put about a half a bottle of their honey BBQ sauce into some pulled pork I made the other day.
One word.... YUMMY!!! ;D ;D ;D

BTW, thanks Shawn for posting that recipe.
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4615.msg46904#msg46904
It's REALLY GOOD!!! :) :) :)

I made wraps with it adding some shredded cheddar and cole slaw made with my simple "Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing" (whole, real mayonnaise and Raspberry Vinaigrette mixed).

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
Oh Yea Tony  ;D ;D  It is yummy isn't it  ;)