Author Topic: Making Meals from what's on hand  (Read 9165 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Making Meals from what's on hand
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 08:21:47 AM »
Post your recipes and share the joy! ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 11:43:29 PM »
Ran out of fruit & nut snacks for Mary, so I made chocolate coconut Cookies today. The recipe calls for nuts to top the cookies, I didn't have any, so just made them without them.

Chocolate Coconut Cookies

5 Tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup cream
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar Xylitol or equivalent
4 eggs
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 c soy protein or whey protein
½ cup unsweetened coconut
36 almond or macadamia nut halves

Preheat oven to 350 F.
1) Melt butter in bowl or 1 quart measuring cup -- you can make the whole recipe in the same container that way.

2) Whisk in cocoa powder until blended. Whisk in cream, salt, vanilla, and sweetener.

3)Taste. This is the point where you want to get the right amount of sweetener for your taste. \

4) Whisk the eggs in and beat until they are well-blended. Add coconut flour and blend well, and finish with the dried coconut. Combine well, and let sit for 5 minutes. The coconut will absorb most of the liquid.

5) Prepare cookie sheets, either by greasing well, covering with parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat.

6) Drop batter by rounded teaspoons (batter will be about 1½ inches across). Put half an almond or macadamia nut on the top of each, and push slightly to "anchor."

7) Bake for about 12 minutes, until cookies are set and just beginning to brown on bottom.
 Let cool on pan for about 10 minutes. Remove. When fully cool, store in airtight container.

Makes three dozen cookies.

Nutritional Information (with macadamia nuts): Each cookie has a little over half a gram effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 5 grams fat, and 51 calories.

shawn116

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
Yum!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
YUMMY!!!... When it cools down around here a bit more, I'm gonna try this!

Thanks for sharing, Susie!!! ;D ;D ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
Good recipe Susie, being creative in the kitchen instead of just settling for some prepackaged product sets FTS members aside from the rest :) 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »
Mary is a lucky girl ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
Guess what? She actually helped me make Brownies yesterday. Since she ate up all the cookies without asking, she felt bad & promised to help make the next goodies. She kept her promise.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 09:53:43 PM »
Took Mary to psychiatrist today. She ios doing well. He is sending her for blood work to make sure her Zoloft is not affecting her metabolically. Afterwards we went to the market and bought 4 large onions, 1 bunch celery, 1 large bunch  spinach, 2 large green bell pepper, 1 lb strawberries, 1 head lettuce, 1 avocado & 3 Mexican zucchini.
Went home & made dinner. Diced up green bell pepper & onion. Sliced up 1 cup lettuce & 2 large spinach leaves. Diced up 1/2 avocado. Sauteed 6 oz small chicken pieces with 1 c. onion & 1 c. bell pepper in 2 T extra virgin olive oil. Cooked  2 La Tortilla Smart & Delicious taco shells (3 net carbs each) in pan until lightly brown. Put meat mixture in taco shells, topped with lettuce, spinach & avocado. This is how I make delicious food  with no cheese for Mary.

Dessert will be sliced strawberries, blueberries in whipped cream.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 04:48:06 AM »
Thank you for sharing! We are a family of 4 living off of 24K a year (I'm the only low-carber)...sigh. I'm trying to come up with yummy, low carb, vegetarian meals and it's a challenge for sure, I won't lie. I'm excited to try your blueberry muffin :) that excites me the most! Thanks again for sharing!
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »
Our thoughts are with you and Mary all will be well ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 02:02:45 PM »
Taby I sure understand your tight budget. Our paychecks are $650 every two weeks.  I'm so glad you are doing low carb at least.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2013, 02:07:36 PM »
Went to the Mexican market today & got some good deals! They had pork rinds for $7.99 a lb. I got 12 oz for $5.97 & it made 4 cups of ground pork rinds. Ground them up in my Ninja. Also, got a coffee grinder at an estate sale for $3. Ground up golden flax seeds I got for $1.99 lb at WinCo. I am ready for some baking & frying!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 09:18:14 AM »
 :)