Author Topic: Restaurant Ordering - live and learn  (Read 2255 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Restaurant Ordering - live and learn
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:33:16 AM »
Well, you live and learn and the simplest things sometimes aren't and don't presume.  I took my daugher and her boyfriend out for her birthday lunch.  I went over the menu and though there weren't too many things that fell into the fts style I thought the one I picked wasn't too bad.

Crispy cajun chicken with jalepeno salt, coleslaw and a dressing made of olive oil, lemon juice and seasonings, with a little drizzle of aioli (like mayo) - entree size.   Hmm, imagine my surprise when what I got was crumbed deep-fried chicken with no taste of cajun let alone jalepeno.  The coleslaw (approx 1/2 cup which was just dumped on top) was okay.  2 of us ordered it and we both looked at each other and thought - this is not what I expected.

I peeled off the coating and ate the meal.  I mean pointless to return it as it was as stated I suppose, though when the waitress came to collect and asked how the meal was we both told her wasn't what we thought - didn't expect crumbed and deep fried and lack of cajun/jalepeno.  Her only comment was sorry (but she wasn't) but it did say crispy.  Crispy yes it did say, crumbed and deep-fried it did not.  We were both expecting more like a 'seasoning' coating (like blackened) fried (not deep-fried).

Lesson learned - next time ask wait staff to explain exactly what it means and the cooking proceedure.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Restaurant Ordering - live and learn
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
I have had the same issues.We were in a restaurant and I asked the waiter if the wings were coated and he said no.When they came to the table there was more coating then chicken meat! :D I sent them back and had a salad.I have never been in a restaurant I couldn't eat in though. :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:07:49 PM »
That's happened to me too, Morgan.

When it happens more than once in a given restaurant, I will speak to the manager.

I've done this 5 times.
Since then, 4 of those restaurants have been great about keeping my order straight.
The other no longer gets our business. ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »
I have had that problem when ordering wings at Pizza Hut before.  They corrected the order with no problem.  You made it work Morgan, good for you!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
The answer is really simple....order OFF the menu. Most people don't realize how important it is for establishments to make you happy. It's a competitive business and people are creatures of habit, when they find something they like they stick with it. So what to do? When you go out to eat take a look at the menu then explain to the waitstaff that you need a "diabetic plate" consisting of very little carbs, then explain to the waitstaff how you'd like your food prepared. No chef in any decent restaurant will refuse your request.  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 11:28:36 AM »
Great idea, Doug! :) :) :)

Waitstaff and chefs see orders from the menu day in and day out.
Out of habit, it's harder to customize an order.

Ordering off the menu forces them to think "outside the box". ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Ann B

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:57:27 PM »
My daughter-in-law and I (and my husband) like to go to China Buffet.  She said she would show me how to eat low carb. Well, before she could show me, I picked through and found what I considered low carb from the regular buffet items.

She went one better and went to the stir fry on demand table/burner. And I thought it cost more. NOPE. 
She thought it was more, too, when her husband (my son) would get his food prepared that way...until she read the check. Same price.

I'll bet I could bring my own coconut oil for the cooking as well. Ha!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:21:30 AM »
I love chinese. Have you tried my bangbang shrimp/chicken?

Ann B

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
Haven't tried any recipes yet. But that recipe sounds interesting.  Will need to read it and put some shrimp on the grocery list.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »
Prepare to get happy. ;)