Author Topic: Help! I broke out in a rash after eating splenda and stevia!  (Read 9775 times)

jellybutter

• View Profile
    • Email
Help! I broke out in a rash after eating splenda and stevia!
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:46:07 PM »
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Doug's book, so I started low carb today.  The problem is, I haven't eaten splenda and stevia in the past.  I had them both today and now I have red patches of rash on my chest, and feel itchy.  I think it must be a reaction to either the splenda ore the stevia.  Or maybe it's because I combined them both in the same day?  Has anyone experienced this?  I am drinkng tons of water to try to get it out of my system.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Rena

Re: Help! I broke out in a rash after eating splenda and stevia!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
Sounds very uncomfortable!  :(  Can you take Benedryl? It might help. Hopefully, Doug will be around soon and let you know if he's heard of this happening to others. I hope you feel better soon!

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »
I have had itchy reactions to sucralose.
Google - Splenda itch for more info

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:43:21 AM »
Hello Jellybutter. his is the first time I've received a report like yours. I did some research this morning and it seems some people have reported rash from Splenda and also from Stevia (different sites, different reports) I would start by removing Splenda, it had many more reports than Stevia. If you also find your brand of Stevia is causing you an adverse affect check the ingredients to see if it contains another sweetener mixed in such as erythritol for example. If so buy 100% pure Stevia powder and see how that works for you, also give Xylitol a try.

Allergic reactions to foods and beverages are actually a rare occurrence so be clinical in your testing to determine the cause and make certain of your results. Welcome to the forum, hope you feel better quickly please keep us up to date. :(
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:13:31 AM »
Welcome jellybutter! You have just taught me something new! :) I always tell people to make sure that the products they are using are 100% pure.The only two that we use is stevia and xylitol. I have never heard of anyone breaking out in a rash.Please check your labels and let me know if they are blends on your products.There are other products you can use.
Anyway,Hi! I am umpa,dougs wife.If I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. I look forward to getting to know you :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 11:30:55 AM »
Welcome to our family, jellybutter! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Doug is correct.
Although somewhat rare, food allergies do exist. Probably the most common among them is to peanuts.

Also, think about anything else you may have eaten, drank, or come into contact with.
It's possible that your rash is a coincidence.
What you do today is what matters!