Author Topic: Article restricting size of sugar beverages  (Read 2748 times)

edswife

• View Profile
Article restricting size of sugar beverages
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:51:53 PM »
Looks like the world is taking small steps to catch up on this idea that sugar is contributing to obesity!

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2012/09/12/13834093-nyc-passes-ban-on-supersized-sugary-drinks?lite

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Article restricting size of sugar beverages
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 06:35:22 PM »
I really believe in a person's right to legally eat and drink what they like.  People have choices and should not be treated like children.  There are more important things in this world to legislate. 

If they were going to ban these drinks then they should be banned in all places not just a select few and not exclude diet drinks either.  What is to stop them from buying 2 drinks now instead of the 1 they would have?  and diet sodas make you crave sweetness anyway.

Having said that, I believe people should be aware of the consequences, therefore the package should reflect these consequences.  Similar to what they do with cigarettes in Australia.  I don't know whether in the States your cigarettes show the consequences of smoking - ours do - graphic pictures of lung cancer, etc, adorn the packaging - one word GROSS.  So perhaps they should put graphic pictures on these drinks/foods depicting diseased hearts, amputations resultant from diabetes etc, or even the calorie/fat counts to be printed on the wrappers. 

Maybe when it is in your face, so to speak, people will sit up and notice.  The problem though is $ - to much is invested in these products - more is good, bigger is better.  If people noticed, they wouldn't buy and business would crash.  Though I would like to think that perhaps business would really think about it and offer healthier/sugarfree versions of their products, but I think I live in a dream world.

PS - great article - food for thought - which is the point

edswife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »
Interesting about the cigarette packs. That would certainly deter me.  I lived in Brisbane when I was a teen. I know they weren't like that then.  You are correct about people having choices.  Unfortunately I don't think people are given the info to make choices. That's what is so great about this book.  As a nurse I work with lots of diabetics and most of them do not understand what they should be eating.  this book makes it simple.

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »
As a nurse I work with lots of diabetics and most of them do not understand what they should be eating.  this book makes it simple.

You are so right there!  I think of myself as an intelligent person, I even was sent to a "diabetic educator" and it was still confusing.  Trying to get that perfect balance.  Eat this much from each group, eat this many carbs, eat this many calories.....take this much medicine.....if your sugar falls.....eat some sugar  ::)    Testing....testing ....testing  :P  FTS was just simple and to the point.  No more meds and only have to worry about staying under 20 net carbs.  Perfect fit for me.  Oh and I don't have to do the testing as often any more.   ;D ;D

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 10:37:57 AM »
the unfornuate thing about us as Americans is that we have no portion control. i think it is great that they are banning soda products because it is becoming apparent that we have no self control and that the results of eating/drinking sugar is clearly becoming concerning. the children in America are morbidly obese, not to mention the amount of cancer patients who are treated every day ( which I beleive that excessive sugar plays a major role) I think that this is the first step in the right direction. Just like here in Jersey we are no longer allowed to smoke in public places. restaurants, bars, malls! there are even designated areas on our boardwalks to smoke, you can not just freely smoke even out in public. i agree it is a lack of education, so i think this is a direct way of teaching /getting the point across that SUGAR is  NOT GOOD FOR US. just my opinions : )

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
Hi Edswife! :)

Sometimes I get the feeling the government is trying to get us used accustomed to them controlling more and more small aspects of our lives.

Left unchecked, this can lead to all living in a VERY oppressive society with little to no personal choice (i.e. freedom).

In any society, freedom and power are finite commodities.
There will always be those seeking to impose more power over the people.
Which, in turn, leaves the people with less freedom!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!