Author Topic: Day 1 Detox report  (Read 3760 times)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
Day 1 Detox report
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:20:49 AM »
Hi everyone -- Day 1 today was hard.  I work a night shift -- 3:30 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.  I got up and ate bacon eggs, made some tuna salad, made sure I had all the FTS stuff I needed to get through 10 hours of work.  About 5:30 though I started feeling sick, shaky, nauseous, even had congestion, and really felt lousy.  I did eat tuna salad, and some cheese, and then around 7:00 had a chicken sandwich from wendy's and I did eat the white bun that came with it (shaking head no no no)....BUT I did notice my blood sugar got better about 30-45 minutes after that started feeling less shaky, less sick.  That lasted me through until late at night and I had some strawberries.  So, all in all, even though I do regret the chicken sandwich choice, I did not binge on anything today like I have been. 

I had been on Atkins a couple weeks back in early March and virtually no withdrawal from sugar symptoms, just immediately felt good.  My plan for tomorrow is ham and eggs for breakfast, shrimp and vegetables for lunch.  I have a salad with me and some FTS recommended LC dressing, and will have some protein snacks with me.  Oh yes, and I have more strawberries still stashed in the work refrigerator. 

On Monday and Tuesday, there is a lebanese restaurant I go to on way to work.  They have chicken breast that is grilled, and this thing called fattoush sald.....has lettuce, veggies, and a lemon and ollive oil dressing....oh and the chicken and the salad have healthy doses of garlic.....yummmmm and the chicken comes with garlic aioli......which is a mayo garlic thing.....so yum....

so that will get me through two more days without any forays to Wendys.....and then i'm off Wed. Thurs. Fri. so that should just about get me through the first week. 

Thank you for your kinds responses.  I have to tell you it was interesting and fun actually to hear from the people who i read about last night when I started the book last night.  And I think it was mouse who suggested I am addicted to sugar... oh boy howdy is that true.  Seriously addicted.  And it's not just about looks, it's about health, and being so sick of feeling sick. 

For years docs have said they suspect I could be diabetic and then they have me take a fasting blood sugar which comes out fine.  But I suspect if I had a glucose tolerance test the results might be different.  I was googling DIabetes 2 symptoms tonight, and I have all of them except for "unexplained weight loss."  I have the fatigue, headaches, thirst, sick feelings, and have complained about those for years. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but I'm rambling.  I do believe -- and I do so appreciate your encouragement.  I do expect these next couple weeks while I detox may be much harder than when I did this in early March, and by only making this a FTS will this be the last time i have to detox from sugar.  Looking at the book, I do see getting into the recipes will help me with success.  Between now and next Saturday (first day back at work -- in essense "my MONDAY") I need to have tried out some of the recipes to take good, nourishing, FTS safe INTERESTING meals to work with me.  That will help me stay on track as a FTS Lifestyle versus a "diet" that I go on and go off.  because seriously, today I was sick enough at one point I wanted to go home.  I work in public safety where attention to detail is essential for my safety and others, and going home was not an option.  I do not want to go through detox again. 

Oh, thank you kind souls for listening.  Thought of you all during the work shift.  I really do want this to be my lifestyle change, and I do want to be healthy and sugar-free. 

Nite Nite -- Ohhhhh Happy Easter.!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Day 1 Detox report
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »
Happy Easter to YOU too!  I'm sorry you felt so bad last night, but it will get better!   I seriously felt like I had the flu that first week during detox.  I was SO addicted to sugar too.  I dealt with some heartburn/indigestion at first as well. I am no medical expert, but I really think it took my tummy a while just to get used to my new lifestyle.  I mean....for YEARS it had to produce so much acid to try and handle all that junk I was eating!  ...I guess it just took it a few days to slow down producing that!  :-\

Wendy's restaurants are great with special orders.  I go to the drive-thru and order a burger without the bun.  They put it in a little container with all the fixins and even give me a fork!  I hope you get the bakery book.  There's some bread recipes in there you would like!  Also, the one minute muffin is GREAT and you can make it SO many ways.  As you go, you will find the things that you like best.  One of my new favorites is the macafoney & cheese!   That is crazy good!!   I also love to make the sausage casserole with onions, peppers, and cheese.   I just cut a square of it, and stick in the microwave at my office. 

Hang in there!  We are all here for YOU!    ;D   

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:18:40 AM »
Happy Easter! Drink lots of water.Peanut butter(or soy butter) is  a great choice for detox to get you through the yuckie feeling.Remember though every clove of garlic(which I adore) is one carb.Its a mega food but at 20 carbs a day it adds up quick! You are gonna do great! ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »
Happy Easter, Elizabeth!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Like drugs or alcohol, detox from the "poison" is the first step toward recovery.
I remember my symptoms being much like yours with an emphasis on stomach and lower GI issues.

Sugar detox, for most, is a sucky experience! :P
But once you come out the other end, you'll feel like you've been born again with a new lease on life!!!

Preparation is usually 90% of any challenge and 10% is execution.
Sounds to me like your doing great! :)

If you want this badly enough to commit to it and not look back, you WILL be sugar free, healthier, and much happier!!! ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:09:39 AM »
Hi -- I'm very happy to report today was better.  I might get lucky and only have that one serious day of detox (I hope).  I stayed on track today. 

Maddy's mom:  You are right about wendy's and I have tried the bunless hamburger -- yummmmm baconator deluxe. I think I even felt worse KNOwing I could have that chicken burger bunless, but what can I say -- a weak moment.  I was stronger today and had a lettuce wrap hamburger at carls on the way to work.   That's true what you said about your stomach having to make an adjustment to not putting out so much acid.  You know on low carb I do not take antacids and tagamet like I used to.  In fact 90% of my heartburn problems have gone away since 2-27 when i had started atkins.  I only lasted a few weeks on that and then fell off into the popcorn-pancake abyss....thanks for mentioning the bakery book.  I'm going to get that next.  And you mentioned the sausage egg dish -- definitely going to have to try that.  that will be the first recipes I try. 

Oh, and p.s. about heartburn -- I was on prevacid for ONE DECADE!!!!  I finally could not deal with a rather bad side effect that developed the last year I took it.  So I went cold turkey and the rebound heartburn was awful, but then I could control it with tums and tagamet OTC.  but I noticed when I started Low carb that the heartburn is now almost completely away -- don't even know where the tums are now, and i used to have them sitting on my desk at work and in every purse, locker, car, nightstand, etc. .....so one of the greatest gifts so far on low carb is the lack of heartburn. 

Umpa -- thanks for the suggestion about drinking lots of water (I'm doing 64 oz) and also for the heads up about 1 carb per clove.....that is something that could mess me up if I wasn't careful.  I have some peanut butter no sugar here -- i googled how to stir it up -- the oil and the clump of peanut butter, in fact, I'd better do that in the morning and I can have that with some celery....yummm.  An d you're right, 20 carbs a day can add up very fast (especially with a BUN involved like yesterday)   lol

Mouseissue-- I like what you said about "preparation is 90% of any challenge and 10% is execution".....you are right, that is so true...I'll be quoting that.  And I'll be reminding myself of that, because when you walk out of the house to go somewhere, on low carb...."FTS" you had better be prepared -- the ugly beast of temptation will take every advantage when you're not prepared.  I take cheddar sticks, celery, quacamole, ham squares, turkey or roast beef slices, etc. 

Well night all, thanks for your hand holding -- I think if I stay away from sugar that yesterday's may be the worse for me, but i'll be on guard about it for next couple weeks as I detox in case it comes up again.  Now that I'm feeling better, I'm going to head over to that other thread and encourage some newbies too.  It's amazing hos you can be so down, so desparate, and you crawl on a website after buying a book and there is HELP -- and friendliness.  Certainly, the best the internet has to offer. 

Nite....

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:08:54 AM »
Elizabeth you are gonna do great ;)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »
I agree! You are going to to great!  I also LOVE IT that you are already wanting to encourage others!!  So cool...... 8)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »
I am no medical expert, but I really think it took my tummy a while just to get used to my new lifestyle.  I mean....for YEARS it had to produce so much acid to try and handle all that junk I was eating!  ...I guess it just took it a few days to slow down producing that!  :-\

OMG!  :o THIS is why my stomach is feeling icky! I'm currently in my first day of detox and it ALWAYS comes with a dull headache, even though I don't give up caffiene. That explains why I feel so odd at first.  I'm determined to stick out the WHOLE detox this time and not run away, but I can feel the withdrawl already starting.

For some odd reason, now that I'm armed with detox and scientific info, I'm able to rationalize my flu like feelings now and can tolerate them. I can't wait to get on the other side of this!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 10:01:20 AM »
Detoxing from sugar is no different than drugs,alcohol or nicotine withdrawals.Everyone of them cause cancer even sugar. ;)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
We're thinking good thoughts and praying for your patience through detox.  We can say, with confidence, that it will end and you will feel great. 

Keep up the good fight and let us know how it is going.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:30 AM »
Yep! If you are a quitter you can't be a loser :D

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »
Yep! If you are a quitter you can't be a loser :D

I love that Umpa!! may I borrow that quote?? That is a great motto!!
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:36:34 AM »
Yeppers ;)