Author Topic: Amish breakfast casserole  (Read 17276 times)

3angels

• View Profile
Amish breakfast casserole
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:21:51 PM »
the recipe is:

1 lb. sliced bacon diced
1 med. sweet onion chopped
6 eggs slightly beaten
4 cups frozen hash browns thawed (something to replace the hashbrowns but no jicama plz.  maybe I made it wrong but not what I expected)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded swiss cheese

this serves 12 but wondering also what the carb n sugar ratios would be?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Amish breakfast casserole
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:47:19 AM »
The only problem with this recipe is the hash browns.Jicama is a good choice,what i find though is most people don't cook it correctly.I like to soften it up.I saute it in a pan in half a cup of water.As the water dries out I have a tea kettle full of boiling water which i add  by 1/4 cup increments to the pan and cook it out until i get the softness I want.I think if you add cold water it firms back up.This is the way I make my jicama for my potato salad potatoes.The other choice would be tofu (firm) or cauliflower.Let me know how it turns out. ;D

3angels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »
ty for the help.  that may be the problem not knowing how to cook the jicama so thank you for helping me with that.  your the best  8)

3angels

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »
I went out and bought the jicama today thanks to your idea I'm giving it another go with the jicama

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 08:14:26 PM »
Be brave! The kids will love it! ;D

3angels

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:26:01 PM »
made it for dinner and yay it turned out great thanks to your tip on the jicama.  actually will be using jicama again ty again. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 08:57:28 AM »
Jicama is wonderful.You have to buy good jicama.If it is brown when you cut it open take it back to the store.Alot of stores store  it where it gets wet by the sprinklers,tell your produce man to move it with the potatos or squash because if it gets wet it get ruined quick.Do not store in the fridge until you cook it or it will go bad quick.
Your kids would also enjoy veggie stcks of jicama.Slice some up the size of french fries and put in a bag with celery the same size and give them a dipping container full dressing(kids love ranch) or peanut butter.

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 10:32:02 AM »
The one time I found Jicama in a store it was moldy.Haven't found a decent looking one yet here in New England.
Umpa, did you mean that you have to store in it the fridge or it will go bad or not to store it in the fridge?
Thanks

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 02:31:18 PM »
It got moldy because the grocery store is not storing it correctly.It should be stored dry like potatoes.Tell your produce man.They do not want to throw it away.It should only go in the fridge after it is cooked or peeled and sliced.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 02:32:20 PM »
It got moldy because the grocery store is not storing it correctly.It should be stored dry like potatoes.Tell your produce man.They do not want to throw it away.It should only go in the fridge after it is cooked or peeled and sliced.

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 02:41:11 PM »

3angels

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 04:13:54 PM »
at the stores that i find jicama its by the lettuce, cauliflower, etc all veggies that u refrigerate so I also assumed jicama shud be refrigerated.  so ty for clarifying

owensmath

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 06:40:01 PM »
At our Ingles, they put it with the veggies that get watered periodically and their jicama molds very quickly. I stopped buying it from there. Walmart has it with their onions and potatoes, nice and dry!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 07:27:44 PM »
When we get Jicama we deal with it immediately, peel it and par boil it in salted water for 10 minutes, drain let cool then re-fridgerate. This way the Jicama is ready to continue into further recipes with additional boiling, frying, etc... It lasts much longer using this method. The only exception is when we eat it raw. By the way raw jicama slices with beanut butter spread on top are wonderful :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »
That sounds........interesting... :-\