Author Topic: Campbells Beef Stock - Double the Carb Count  (Read 1442 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Campbells Beef Stock - Double the Carb Count
« on: May 23, 2012, 03:02:02 AM »
It really pays to read the nutritional information on products even if you have used them before and often.  Was making up a cup of soup with Campbells Beef Stock (250ml with some grated zucc) when I just glanced at the carb count.  It had almost doubled - from 2.1 to 4.0 for 250ml.  I promptly got on the phone and was told that yes Campbells had reformulated their 'recipe'.  I said so they added more sugar as a reformulation.  Yes - if the carb count is up then yes.  Why in the world would they add more sugar to a product that many many people use when it is absolutely not necessary.  Who would think there would be sugar in stock?  My elderly dad is a diabetic and chances are he is not going to read the label.  How many other people are going to be taken unawares. I asked them to register my comments and that I would no longer be using their product.  It's a bit like an elderly friend of mine who went out with friends for coffee and ordered a scone (usually no added sugar).  She got home and wasn't feeling well and her sugar had spiked badly.  She couldn't place what she had eaten wrong and rang to ask how the scone had been made - would you believe - lemonade.  Why do they keep adding sugar to things that don't need them.  Wait - I know - so you crave more.   I'm so cross!!!! >:(

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Campbells Beef Stock - Double the Carb Count
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:20:04 AM »
I am the avenger when it comes to labels! I have no problem picking up the phone.We have a lot of type 1 diabetics on the forum.These companies don't understand that when they lie and a type 1 diabetic eats their product they are only taking enough medication for what the label says,they can get in trouble quick. :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells Beef Stock - Double the Carb Count
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
If we assume NOTHING in this life, we'll be happier and healthier!

This just goes to show that EVERY TIME we purchase a product, we MUST read the label!
Companies are NOT required to change their packaging when changing formulations.
Only the nutrition information will tell.

Companies like this are flirting with HUGE lawsuits!
As the word about hidden sugar gets around, they'd better rethink what they're doing.
What you do today is what matters!