Author Topic: Calculate  (Read 3713 times)

wedjatwedjat

• View Profile
Calculate
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:58:35 PM »
I have borrowed this book from the library and had to return it two weeks ago because someone else had it on hold. Please someone, help me remember how to calculate carbs. I do remember the book saying to take the carb grams and divide by 4 to know how many teaspoons of sugar eaten per day.  What I don't remember is if under the total carbohydrates is dietary fiber grams and sugars subtracted from the total or only the dietary fiber?

downeast

• View Profile
Re: Calculate
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum wedja...  (that's quite a handle you have). You'll find lots of helpful folks here.

Net carbs = carbs minus fibre  eg) 9 carbs - 4 fibre = 5 net carbs
OR
if there are sugar alcohols listed then
net carbs = carbs minus fibre minus sugar alcohols. eg) 9 carbs - 4 fibre - 2 sugar alcohol = 3 net carbs

An item contains sugar alcohols only if it has certain types of artificial sweetener in it. If sugar alcohols are not listed it is because they are not in that item.
You do not subtract sugar when calculating net carbs.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:16:50 PM by downeast »

wedjatwedjat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:42:10 PM »
downeast,

thank toy for taking the time and answering.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »
Welcome wedjatwedjat !(say that quick 3 times! :D) i am umpa,dougs wife.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.If I can help you please ask.Which library is short on books?North Carolina?

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:27:31 AM »
Welcome to the FTS forum wedjatwedjat.  You should buy a copy of the book as you will need to refer to it often.