Author Topic: is this normal  (Read 12034 times)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
Re: is this normal
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 03:02:26 PM »
Rena, too funny!!  I've never paid any attention to how many servings a bottle of soda would have LOL.  Now I will.
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

alex412

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 05:11:25 PM »
ok i saw that 20oz mountain dew had 10 calories on fit day and i looked at the lable and it says sucrolous (sp?) in the middle so i googled "low carb diet soda splednda" and i found another low card message board and what i gathered from the replys was splenda in the packets has maldodextran filler and that adds carbs to the packs but in soda they use liquid sucrolous and that doesnt have a have carbs the fitday website is not reliable most of the food details are entered  by the website community  thats most likely why there was a page of diet mountain dew eiof over 20 selections the person that entered the 10 calory mountain dew most likely made up a number based on splenda packs

alex412

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 05:25:45 PM »
oops that webpage was myfitnesspal  not fitday

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »
Just remember guys each one of those little yellow splenda packs is 1 carb ;)

alex412

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 06:51:37 PM »
diet mountain dew has orange juice in it thats were the carbs come from but its 10 calories  per 20 oz

so i am not drinking it any more the lable is misleading 0 cal for 8 oz but 10 cal for the whole bottle 2.5 servings ... last time  i drank 1liter one day and 2x 1 liters the next day no wonder i stalled a couple weeks ago
it really should say 4 calories per 8 oz if you only skim the label you can easily miss it
i did lose 2 more pounds from the start of this thread but i have been stuck again this time for 7 days  i think its cause i switched from 85/15 burger to 75/25 burger and added a snack  my calories jumped from 1600 to 2000+ also i started school and i started pounding diet coke 4- 20oz'ers a day from the vending machine  to in the morning i am going start  all water and cut back serving sizes
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:32:23 PM by alex412 »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »
Hi alex412! :)

Have you read Doug's book?... If not please do.
You'll learn that calories are not the primary cause of weight gain or loss... It's net carbohydrates.

Also, eating too much and/or eating too many sugar alcohols (food with sweeteners) can cause stall outs.
Those Diet Cokes and Mountain Dews you've been drinking so often could certainly be part of your problem.

You're on the right track by cutting back your portions and drinking more water.
And until you see real loss progress, I would eliminate those diet sodas too. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 12:27:25 PM »
Thanks for the info, Alex! I love Diet Mountain Dew, but I don't drink it very often at all. I'll only buy it every once and awhile and only in a single bottle. I couldn't figure out why a serving was 0 calories, but the whole bottle was 10. That seemed so odd and they should print it correctly so you don't have to guess.

And Tony -- I know what you're saying about FTS and not counting calories, but the fact is when I eat too many calories I gain. I spent 2 days camping and totally watched my carbs, but I must have eaten too much because I put on a few pounds. Calories to me is the same as portion control might be to you. It's just a word, but basically they're the same thing. At least to me ...

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 01:28:59 PM »
...And Tony -- I know what you're saying about FTS and not counting calories, but the fact is when I eat too many calories I gain. I spent 2 days camping and totally watched my carbs, but I must have eaten too much because I put on a few pounds. Calories to me is the same as portion control might be to you. It's just a word, but basically they're the same thing. At least to me ...

Hi Rena! :)

As you know, portion control and watching carb intake have equal importance.
But the distinction between portion control and calorie intake is subtle, and I guess I was not clear about it.

Typically, high calorie foods will satisfy hunger much faster than low calorie foods.
Therefore, it will require much less of a high calorie food before having too much.
So in that sense, calories and portion sizes can impact progress.

As an example, eight ounces of iceburg lettuce has 32 calories and about 4 net carb grams.
The same amount of a boneless rib eye steak (fat trimmed) has about 500-600 calories and 0 net carb grams.
Ounce for ounce, it takes much less steak than it does lettuce to reach a portion limit.

One side note, if you ate eight ounces of lettuce at one sitting, you might feel full due to the water content and fiber bulk.
But you would find yourself hungry again very soon afterword.
The same would not hold true for that steak. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: is this normal
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 06:13:26 AM »
Front labels many times lie to you to promote their products fir you to buy it.