Author Topic: A Migraine Headache  (Read 4796 times)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A Migraine Headache
« on: January 15, 2012, 01:14:52 AM »
This was a new experience for me and the doctors say that 59 is a bit old for a first migraine but it hit hard and fast on Friday morning.  Because of the suddenness, my risk factors being low (that age thing) and a botched spinal tap (lumbar puncture for those medicos among us), I was misdiagnosed as having a cerebral hemorrhage, potentially fatal without brain surgery, and transferred to a trauma center.  There they figured out that it was a migraine, gave me lots of really good drugs and I was home 24 hours later.  Great ending to a bad day! 

There were a couple of FTS-related fun moments.  The transport team needed my weight.  I'll admit that I rounded down to the closest 5 pounds but one of them joked that it was nice to get a light-weight for once.  That made me smile through my drug-induced haze.  Then, when the results of a urinalysis came back with a very high ketone level, the concerned doctor just gave me a funny look and an odd ohhhh when I told her that I'm a low carber.  No more questions after that.

I'm home and fine and researching risk factors to see what I can do to prevent a recurrence.  Job-related stress is all I can identify so I'll need to work on that.  My headache started within 30 minutes of my closing the books for 2011.  The company I work for claims to be focused on wellness so I'll see if they really mean it. 

Any advice about dealing with migraines would be greatly appreciated.

joagain

Re: A Migraine Headache
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:31:24 AM »
Glad you feel better

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »
I suffered for years with migraines.I would have to go into a totally dark room with a cold washcloth over my eyes.The painkillers never worked for me just made me throw up.I had a  friend suggest we look at diet.I found that when I was wicked stressed or had too much caffeine and aspartame(diet sodas) i would get a migraine.We narrowed it down to the aspartame.There are some great medications out there,but I am not a doctor and can't recommend any.I think when illness comes out of the blue ,food journals are important as well as personal journals.That way you can look for clues on whats causing your issues.Food allergies can develop as we age.My daughter when she was young had horrible asthma.She would wake up in the middle of the night unable to breathe.We did allergy testing and found out it was the red dye in her favorite soda.No soda,no breathing problem. ;) i hope you get to feelin better

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Glad you are feeling better Andrea!  That had to be scary.  I love your humor!  I had to laugh when you mentioned the paremedics mentioning a "lightweight".  ha ha   When I was 100 pounds heavier, I used to worry that something would happen to me, and the paramedics wouldn't be able to lift me.  ha ha  Even WORSE, I used to wonder if I went "missing" how they would announce that on tv......"missing.  big tall woman.  height 5'10".  Weight 376.  Last seen wearing a tent."   ha ha   Just kidding....

Have a great day, and hope you continue feeling better!  ;D

joagain

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
Well Jan that is funny because I have thought the same thing bit we did wear different color tents LOL  Mine would say as big around as she is tall LOL

Andrea  on a serious note I had what they called sinus migraines for years & years . I like Um pa had to lay in a dark room with ice pack for about 3 days till I felt some relief then it would feel like my head was bruised for another 2 days .Had 2 sinus surgeries nothing helped . After being on FTS for 7 months I realized that I had not had one and it now has been 16 months since I have had one

So it appears they were coming from sugar /carbs instead of sinus

Rena

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:04:01 PM »
A poor functioning thyroid can lead to migraines as well. Have you had yours checked?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »
Happy to hear you're feeling better, Andrea! :) :) :) :)

I've never had a migraine... Praise the Lord!!!
What you do today is what matters!

Marty

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 02:43:43 PM »
Tony, migraines are the pits! With a migraine, you can't stand light or sound, you can't see, you get nauseous and maybe throw up, and the pain - incapacitating - worse than a bad hangover, if you were ever a drinker. I feel for anyone with these headaches! They can last for days. :(

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »
Wow what a story! Glad you're ok  8) Two things;

1- have you had your eyes checked recently?
2- are you taking in too much aspartame?
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »
To answer a few questions:

Rena, my thyroid was removed in 2008 so I'm pretty conscious of my levels.  That probably isn't a factor.

Doug,
I stay away from aspartame except for sugar free Jello and I don't use that very often.  My glasses are current in the last 6 months.

I do have a job that is very stressful in January and February.  I had just met a big deadline when the headache hit.  I'm making plans for how to fix what might have caused it.  My family was terrified when I was misdiagnosed.

owensmath

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 10:22:49 PM »
A poor functioning thyroid can lead to migraines as well. Have you had yours checked?

Rena, I am so glad you mentioned that. I had 4 migraines last year and they were spread apart almost exactly a month each time. I didn't even make a connection until I read your comment, but I haven't had another one since I started on a low dose of synthroid.   Interesting.  I will look up more information on the connection.

Rena

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 12:25:49 AM »

Rena, I am so glad you mentioned that. I had 4 migraines last year and they were spread apart almost exactly a month each time. I didn't even make a connection until I read your comment, but I haven't had another one since I started on a low dose of synthroid.   Interesting.  I will look up more information on the connection.

Good luck with it, owensmath. I'm reading a book called Thyroid Power, 10 Steps to Total Health by Richard L. Shames. I haven't gotten very far, but it's really interesting. Hopefully, I'll know a little more when I'm finished reading it.