Author Topic: Quick start then stall  (Read 6900 times)

cinleannana

• View Profile
    • Email
Quick start then stall
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »
My husband and I read the book and started two and a half weeks ago.  We both lost lost 7 pounds after the first 3 days, then stalled.  After being on this program for the past 2 weeks, strictly measuring our food, and staying under 20 net carbs a day (I average 10-15 net carbs a day and my husband averages 15-20 net carbs a day), I have only lost 1.8 pounds (1.2 pounds the first full week, and only 0.6 after this second full week) and my husband has only lost  2 pounds, averaging 1 pound a week.  The other thing that is perplexing is that our breakfast and lunch are completely different and then we eat dinner together, so we aren't even eating the exact same things.  I use a free food diary online that calculates my daily calories, carbs, sugar, fat, fiber, and potassium, so I know exactly how many net carbs I eat every day.  Why did we both start out so good and now both of us have slowed so dramatically?  Do we need to add exercise?  I average 1,200 - 1,600 calories a day on this program (which is technically still within a typical calorie deficit for weight loss), but should I cut back to lower calorie, low carb foods?  We are both a bit frustrated and any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quick start then stall
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum, cinleannana and spouse.

I'm sorry that you are frustrated but there's a lot of expertise on this forum and I'm sure we can help you both figure out what is going on.

My first suggestion is to have you post examples of your food diary.  We are great at detecting carb creep.  There is a food plan thread for this specific purpose.

Now, my favorite question:  How much water are you drinking?  Your body needs water to flush the waste products of fat metabolism and not getting enough is a big cause of early stalls.

We'll help you get it all sorted out.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:39:30 AM »
Hi cinleannana! 7 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks is great!  I was going to say much the same as Andrea said - and when she recommends drinking lots of water, try about 100 oz. per day. It sounds like a lot, but if you get a 25 oz container, it's a lot easier. Also, there are big changes happening to your body and sometimes 'stalls' are just periods when your body is catching up and reorganizing. Take your measurements for another check. Sometimes you lose inches rather than pounds. Don't worry over the scales. Hang in there and you will see the results you're looking for! Welcome to the forum family!

cinleannana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »
I have always been a major water drinker.  If I only drink 64 ounces a day I wake up dehydrated because my body is used to 80-100 ounces a day every day.  My husband is currently consuming between 60-70 ounces a day, but only since we started this plan.  Previously, I would guess he drank around 30 ounces a day and drank coffee and coca cola, so larger amounts of water consumption is somewhat new to him.  Since I have kept a daily food diary I can post what I have eaten.  Where should I post this?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »
Welcome to the family, cinleannana and spouse!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

As long as your weight loss is trending down, you're doing great!
But if you want to accelerate your progress, post your meal plans at the link below and we'll see what can be done.

Be sure to also include quantity of foods eaten.
Bad portion control can slow (or stop) progress.

http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=32.0
What you do today is what matters!

cinleannana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »
Okay, I have posted on the link you gave me under the same title as this one.  Thanks for helping!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 09:10:04 AM »
If you need help just ask,thats what we are here for ;)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »
Speaking of "reorganizing" I feel like my body has been doing just that these past 2 weeks. I FEEL thinner but the scale only says I lost 1.5 pounds. I think there are some very deep biochemical changes that occur when we start eating this way. In fact, I would almost suggest a blind faith approach.. Be faithful to the WOE and DO NOT look at the scale for 2 WEEKS! (yes 2). Judge by how you FEEL instead. Focus on the FEELINGS the first 2 weeks. Yes, I did weigh at the end of week 1 but I was MUCH more fixated on the person who said out of the blue, "You look thinner".  ;D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 08:47:05 AM »
I think we need a word for the phenomenon of slimming without weight loss showing on the scale.  "My body is compacting" just doesn't have much of a ring to it.  Any other suggetions?

It's all about vocabulary.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:27:30 AM »
How about "defluffing"? My body is defluffing.

Ewe's not fat, ewe's fluffy...

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »
lol we are just downsizing ;)
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 10:59:14 AM »
 :D :D :D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »
I ewesed to be fluffy, now I'm downsized.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »
 :D :D :D

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
How about "defluffing"? My body is defluffing.

Ewe's not fat, ewe's fluffy...

"Defluffing"....I dig this. 8)