Author Topic: buddy and christina needs help  (Read 8761 times)

buddy and christina

• View Profile
    • Email
buddy and christina needs help
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:06:45 AM »
hi doug,
we've heard people say on the internet that if we eat less than 1,200 calories a day that our body will lose weight slower because it thinks we are in a famine.  is this true?  the last two days we've been eating around 800 calories each.  yes we've been hungry between meals, but we dealt with it because we thought that our metabolism is burning our food faster with us thinking it will cause us to lose weight even faster.
you lost 100 pounds in near 100 days or so.  we want to do the same and lose 1 pound a day apiece. what do you suggest that we do?  if it was 1,200 calories a day than that would be a 300 calorie breakfast, 100 calorie snack, 300 calorie lunch, 100 calorie snack, 300 calorie dinner, 100 calorie snack.  doug, as you lost the weight did you lower your calorie intake at all?
do you suggest weighing our foods to make sure its in the correct calorie count?
we do eat or drink a protein shake 6 times a day eating every 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
also what do we do to not get the "excess skin sag" from losing weight quickly?  is there a secret?
buddy walks all day at work as a waiter at a restaurant. Christina walks around inside the house and jogs in place for 10-20 minutes every day.
yes, we've been drinking tons of water and keeping our carb count below 20 carbs /day.
in the last 3 days Christina  lost 3 pounds and buddy lost 1 pound.
thank you doug and umpa for listening to this post,  we sure do appreciate you so very much!  thanks fts forum family readers for your insight too!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: buddy and christina needs help
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:11:57 AM »
Just keep it simple 20 carbs a day or less.Ignore calories. I ask doug to answer this for you ;) You are doing great just don't overthink this, it really is simple ;) It took time to put the weight on and its gonna take time to take it off?Why are you drinking shakes every 2 hours? :)

buddy and christina

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:15:16 AM »
hi umpa,
we drink a protein shake to replace 3 of our meals.  so we drink a shake only 3 times in a day.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
Why wouldn't you eat food? How many meals a day are you eating?

buddy and christina

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »
hi umpa,
its because its something different with only 4 carbs, because its half a serving apiece.  it taste great to us.  its also quick and easy.  we like it a lot.  it works for us.
we eat 6 times a day every 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 09:36:13 AM »
But if you are eating every two hours its not sticking with you.Thats 12 carbs a day you should be spending on real food like fruits and veggies. I use shakes as a quick snack or once a day meal replacement.What you are doing is not maintainable.You need to nourish your body with lean protiens,veggies and berries and avocado.You can't live on shakes the rest of your life.You need to retrain your body. I eat a hearty breakfast every morning between 10-11 oclock. Then at 3:00 I have a snack then I eat a hearty supper.If I want a tv snack its usually nuts or a sweet treat. My point is this is a lifestlye change not a diet.You are not being punished  ;) I do however LOVE your motivation and love for each other!! You are gonna do great!!!! :)

buddy and christina

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 09:47:24 AM »
hi umpa,  you are right,  its a lifestyle change and the protein shakes we would not be able to keep it up for long term.  we will do as you suggest and eat real foods again from the fts list.  we will use a protein shake as one snack a day (instead of 3 times).

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 10:08:38 AM »
I agree with Umpa, if you "really" need to eat every 2-2 1/2 hours you're not eating the correct mix of food with your meals. It takes protein, fats and proper veggies to carry you. Get rid of the shakes completely...you don't need them. Wake up to steak and eggs or a nice cheese omelet with a side of ham and a slice of tomato. Now you've filled your belly with food that will carry you till lunch. If you need a snack in between because you really are hungry not just bored...true hunger...grab something off of one of those wonderful snack trays in the fridge that I taught you how to make in the book. When you're hungry again around lunch time eat a heavy lunch like a tuna fish wrapped in Romaine leaves. Bake a chicken for dinner with caulimash and greens.... have a few strawberries for dessert. You should never be overly hungry on FTS and you should never eat unless it's true hunger you feel coming on. Learn your bodies fuel needs and timing and eat real food   8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

buddy and christina

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »
thanks doug for your advice,  we will do what you said.  we appreciate you so much!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 03:26:43 PM »
Hi, buddy and christina! :)

I love your attitude and commitment toward reaching your goals!!! :) :) :)
But follow Doug's and Umpa's advice and eat REAL FOOD!... Your bodies NEED it!!!

You are correct that eating too little can cause the body to go into "famine mode".
That's when the boy thinks there's not enough food available and works hard to conserve fat stores.
That's exactly what you DON'T want your bodies to do!

And focus on things other than losing weight.
Life is so short and so full of wonderful things to experience,
don't waste your precious days being overly consumed with weight loss.

Find things the two of you enjoy doing, and go do them! :) :) :)
And follow the FTS rules while enjoying yourselves, your transformations are assured! ;)

Tony
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:11:39 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

buddy and christina

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 06:04:07 AM »
thanks tony we appreciate you taking your time to encourage us!
we will do it the fts way and follow doug and umpa's advice.
we got a little extreme and wanted the weight to fly off faster, our mistake.
I am gonna read doug's book again for the 3rd time.
doug lost 100 pounds in 7 months.

buddy and christina

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 02:18:17 PM »
we read today that to keep the "excess skin flab" from happening is to be properly hydrated with enough water.
we exercise just for our circulation, Christina is at home and is very sedentary all day.
I read doug's book again (the yellow one) today.
we had the wrong mindset to do calorie counting and now we wont bother.
we will just carb count like doug says.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »
Hi, buddy and christina! :)

Water is ESSENTIAL for good health!
Not only will it help the skin retain its elasticity, it does many other things for our bodies.
This includes helping with weight loss! ;D

Our bodies are comprised of about 60% water.
Less so for obese folks (about 50-55% or less) since FAT displaces water.

Is it any wonder we need water?
We should all drink AT LEAST 64 ounces of PLAIN water every day!

Exercise is also good for our bodies including heart health, metabolic regulation, etc..
But, it's NOT efficient as a weight loss aid.

And kudos for dumping the "calorie" mindset (the same one that spurs obesity). :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 08:55:57 AM »
You guys are gonna do great and we are gonna help you ;)

buddy and christina

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »
we will be happy at 10 pounds apiece per month
umpa is right, it took time to put the weight on and so it will take time to get it off
our advice is to read doug's book a few times and do what it says
doug and umpa are living proof that fts works when you work fts correctly!
tony, we are doing other things again besides obsessing about weight loss:)