Author Topic: 16 going on 60  (Read 3913 times)

catmedaglia

• "You got every right to a beautiful life." ~S.G.
    • View Profile
    • Email
16 going on 60
« on: September 18, 2013, 04:52:21 PM »
Okay, that's an exaggeration. But I do feel really old compared to my fellow high-schoolers. I don't know if it's because I'm more mature than them or if I just isolate myself because I'm not "good enough". When I look in the mirror, I don't see a 16-year-old; I see a spinster-in-training. What frustrates me even more is that people tell me how immature I am when they don't know what's going on in my head. I'm bipolar, but I keep the depressing thoughts to myself. Oh, I have no filter because I make dirty jokes? Believe me, I hold back quite a lot.
Any advice on being happy in the current moment?

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 16 going on 60
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum catmedaglia -we are here to help with anything.  Someone will answer.

You are obviously having a bad day.  No matter how many people stand next to you (no matter the age) you are alone on the inside.  People never know what is in your head, they only see and perceive you through their 'heads'.  hmmm... it is a tough question and I can only pass on what I have 'learnt' (I am so much closer to 60 that you are) so here goes -

.   first and foremost - only you can make yourself happy.  Sometimes you have to chose it, as it may not come
    naturally.
.   if you tell yourself something enough times you will come to believe it - great for positives, truly bad for negatives
.   upbeat music will lift your spirits and want to make you dance - win/win situation
.   crying and writing bad poetry - relieves stress and gives you an outlet
.   dirty jokes?  - the boy fell in the mud.  Clean joke - he had a shower.  You got to work to your audience -
    even the best comedians get boo-ed.
.   smiling helps - always
    (even if you may look psychotic - that scares them away so you don't have to deal with them)
.   hold your beliefs, but be willing to listen to other's
.   others can make you feel bad, but only you can allow it - chose not to allow it
.   tell yourself you are a truly wonderful awesome spectacular person - often
.   you may never 'find' yourself, but never 'lose' yourself - think on it
.   before you think bad things about a person,  think about what led that person to do what they did
.   try not to hurt other people's feelings - but don't sacrifice yours in the process
.   maturity is a complex thing - I've known 50 year olds who are idiots and 13 year olds wise beyond their years -
    in the end does it matter?  They are who they are.

And one of my favourites - in the great scheme of things does it (whatever the problem) really matter.

Post often cat.  We love to hear from newbies  :)

NoellBlue1

• Happy to be alive :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »
 :)  Catmedaglia, being positive and grateful for the good things, no matter how little these good things in your life may be or seem has helped me in my life.  The attitude of gratitude may help to shift your thoughts to something a bit more happier...just a thought.  Hope this helps.   ;)
Wishing you love, joy, peace, light, and laughter for every moment in your life;)

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
Some great responses!!  Morgan you are spot on here!  I'm not sure I could add anything much better...

Welcome to the forum catmedaglia  :)  I definitely would say that your first step needs to be to stop thinking of yourself as being not "good enough".  I told my kids the whole time they were growing up that "you are the best you there is....Not one other person can replace you or duplicate you...so enjoy and embrace your uniqueness and work on perfecting and molding the you... you wish to become.   Above all always hold your head up and be true to yourself.  When you are having a bad day look for the positive and beauty around you and know tomorrow is coming.   Positive thoughts dear :)   We are glad you are here  :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:54:14 AM »
Welcome to the FTS family, catmedaglia!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

As each one of us is special in his or her own way, you too are a special person. :)
NEVER let anyone lead you to believe otherwise!

Each of us has something positive to contribute to the world.
And if you haven't yet found what that is for you, give it time and you will.

As a family, we are here to support each other in our efforts to get healthier.
Part of being healthy, is also being happy.
Why?... Happy people tend to stay healthy.

Let us know if you ever need any support or just want to rant about mean people.
We're here for you! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!