Author Topic: Proud of myself  (Read 2260 times)

sansucre

• View Profile
Proud of myself
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »
A good friend died unexpectedly last week. His service was last Sunday. I attended and there were a lot of women who pitched in and brought food. The majority of them were really overweight. The buffet table was really long.

There were only 4 items I could eat on that whole buffet. I had salad and beef. I really realized when I was there that my craving for carbs is pretty much gone. I wasn't even tempted to eat all of the different kinds of potato salad, pasta salad, chips and bean dip, lasagna, rice, potatoes, bread or the gigantic table filled with desserts.

It was hot out and I was drinking water. At one point I saw an iced tea dispenser and decided to have a glass. I took my first sip and it was loaded with sugar. Well, I discreetly tossed that into the trash.

One person there was talking about how she needs to lose 50 pounds and that she just can't seem to get it off no matter what she does. I told her that I lost 35 pounds, easily, eating low carb. Funny how their eyes glaze over when you say that! She listened for a second and then got "distracted" and changed the subject.

I have friends who still argue with me that carbs are good for you and that the way I eat is unhealthy, even after I lost over half of the weight I need to lose and I tell them that my bloodwork is vastly improved by eating this way. My A1C went from 9.2 to 6.4 and I am sure it will be even better the next time I test. My cholesterol, HDL/LDL ratio, ALL of my other bloodwork is within range and it was not a year ago when I was trying to "manage" my diabetes and weight by eating the standard "healthy" low-fat, carb foods.

Anyway, I was darn proud of myself for eating right at the memorial service even though I was emotionally devastated over my friend's death and facing that wall of carbs!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Proud of myself
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss, sansucre. :(
But, you should be proud of yourself! :) :) :) :)

Our bodies do need carbs... But FAR, FAR fewer than many would think.
There are folks here that I know have gotten healthy, and have stayed that way, eating 10 (or less) net carb grams a day.
And to bust a plateau, going 0 carb for 2 or 3 days usually works.

Just stay the course.
And as you approach your goal, those "glazed eyes" will pay closer attention to what you're saying. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss  :(

I can tell you have a handle on this lifestyle change. 
Funny how their eyes glaze over when you say that!
So many times I get the same thing..LOL Tony is right they will take notice when you show up a smaller you  ;)

KFAITH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »
Deepest sympathy to you in the passing of your friend!!!!
and a very big CONGRATULATIONS FOR YOUR STAYING TO THE FTS PROGRAM.
With God all things are possible
Rosie

joagain

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 06:20:35 AM »
So sorry about your friend sansucre , But great news that you were able to stay away from all the crap !!

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:12:51 AM »
So sorry on the loss of a good friend!!  But congratulations for your self control and determination!!  You Rock! ;)

Suz
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 08:38:15 AM »
I am so sorry about the loss of your friend.But I am very proud of you for standing your ground against the carb junkies ;)