Author Topic: Cooking For the Holidays Contest  (Read 19917 times)

Rena

Re: Cooking For the Holidays Contest
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »
FTS Eggnog

4 egg yolks, beaten
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup Xylitol
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2-4 tablespoons rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large saucepan, cook and stir egg yolks, milk, and Xylitol on medium heat until a metal spoon comes out coated. Remove from heat and place saucepan in a sink or bowl of ice water. Stir for 2 minutes. Remove and stir in whipping cream, rum, and vanilla. Mix well and place in a covered container for 4 to 24 hours. Sprinkle with nutmeg before serving. Makes 7 servings.

Approximately 1.6 carbs per serving -- I used Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk which is 0 carbs. I also used spiced rum, but I suppose you could use a sugar-free rum syrup, which would make it even more sweet.

I didn't see another eggnog recipe, but if there is one, I apologize.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:43:09 PM by Rena »

skychant

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
Tony...you should use the brown sugar substitute, maple syrup will not work.  Toffee has a certain consistency.
I do admit it was tough finding a candy for halloween.  So many of the recipes call for confectioners sugar.  I will look some more.  Maybe I will find another one to enter as well.  I am suprised that there have not been many entries.  Maybe somebody else will find a new candy recipe for Halloween.

skychant

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »
I found another recipe that I think is suitable for Halloween and FTS friendly.

Deviled Nuts

1 pound shelled pecans, walnuts, or peanuts
1/3 cup melted butter or magrerine
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Heat oven at 300 and place nuts in shallow baking pan.  Combine remaining ingredients.  Pour over nuts.  Stir well.  Bake 20 minutes, stirring several times.  Let cool on thick paper towels.  Store in airtight jar.  Makes a nice packaged treat or hostess gift.

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »
     Pumpkin Roll

3/4 c Almond flour    3 carbs
     3/4 c xylitol
     1 tsp baking soda
     2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
     1 cup pumpkin puree    8 carbs
     3 eggs                         3 carbs
     1 tsp lemon juice

Filling 
      8 oz  cream cheese, softened    8 carbs
      1/4 c butter
      1 tsp vanilla extract
      ¾ c xylitol

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Use Pam Baking spray on a 9x13  jellyroll pan or cookie sheet
Mix together almond flour, xylitol, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice.
Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs, and lemon juice.
Spread evenly into pan

Bake for 15 minutes.
 Open a clean damp towel on the counter and turn the cake onto the towel.
 Carefully roll the towel up (lengthwise) with the cake in it.
 Place the cake-in-towel on a cooling rack and let it cool for 20 minutes.

Melt ¼ c butter and dissolve xylitol.
 Blend softened cream cheese, vanilla, and butter/xylitol mixtures with an electric  mixer.

When the cake has cooled, unroll it gently and spread filling onto it
 Immediately re-roll the cake gently without the towel and wrap it with plastic wrap.
 Keep the cake refrigerated.

Total 22 carbs

If you slice into 13 slices of 1 inch each, then each slice is approx 1.70 carbs

Hope you all like this recipe, it was my Mom's that I converted to FTS

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
My Hallow eve Pumplin Bread
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »

Pumpkin loaf

****first time came out ok, secondone came out good..   You can get orange food coloring and mix with cream cheese and mix with stevia to sweeten up and get the Halloween spirit..  hope you like it..

1 cup canned pumpkin (Libby's)
I used Mylixtol as a sweetner
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
5 eggs
6 ounces golden flax flour, about 1 1/2 cups

Grease an 8x4" loaf pan well or line with foil and grease foil. In a medium bowl, beat the pumpkin, Sweetner of preference, baking powder, vanilla, spice and salt, if using, with an electric mixer until well blended. Beat in the eggs, then the GF flour. Add a little water, if needed, to make a thick, but pourable batter (I didn't need it). Pour into the pan and bake at 300º 60-75 minutes, until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan a bit and a toothpick comes out clean. Mine took about 65 minutes. The toothpick came out clean at 60 minutes, but it needed to brown a little more.
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Skychant wins Halloween ! I am leaving Joannes,Rena and Alex's recipes up for Thanksgiving and Christmas.Skychant  send me a email and let me know which book you would like!I will be moving Skychants recipes to Desserts. ;D

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »
Congrats Skychant!!!!!!!  wooooooooooooooooooooooooot
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »
Congrats Skychant!

shawn116

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 03:42:20 PM »
I guess I will throw my hat in the ring.  LOL  I just finished this recipe and it was very good...even warm!  That says something because I have never liked my pumpkin pie warm.   Gotta love pumpkin though  :-* :-*

UPSIDE DOWN PUMPKIN PIE
Pie ingredients
   1 ½ cups pumpkin (or 15 ounce can) (4 net for ½ cup serving = 12 carbs)
   3 eggs (my Egg Land’s Best say 0)
   ¾  cup Xylitol
   ½  tsp. salt
   1 tsp. cinnamon (.7 )
   ¼ tsp. cloves (.68)
   ½ tsp. ginger (.99 net for 1 tsp. so .5)
   ¾ cup of Heavy whipping cream (0)
Top crust
   1 oz. or ¼ cup pecans (1.23)
   1 oz. or ¼ cup walnuts (1.99)
   2 tsp. cinnamon xylitol mixture (1 ½ tsp. xylitol ½ tsp. cinnamon) (.5)
Topping
   1 cup Heavy whipping cream (0)
   2 tbs. Sugar free Torani Brown sugar and cinnamon syrup (0)   (or whatever flavor you like.  You can also make it easy and use the canned stuff)
Instructions
1.   Whip eggs together
2.   Mix in xylitol, pumpkin and heavy whipping cream
3.   Add in spices and mix well
4.   Spray a pie plate with cooking spray or use ramekins to make individual servings like I did
5.   Poor batter in dish or divide between dishes and place inside larger dish.  Place water inside outer dish to create a water bath.
6.   To make top crust- chop nuts and mix together with xylitol mixture.  Place in oven at 375 for about 8-10 minutes to create a glazed nut mixture.  (watch close and stir so they don’t burn)
7.   Sprinkle nuts over top of pie and bake at 425 for the first 15 minutes then turn down to 350 for 40- 50 minutes.  Until a knife inserted comes out clean.
8.   For topping whip Heavy whipping cream with syrup until peaks form.  Chill until ready to serve.
For those of you that don’t like very sweet you might consider not making the nuts sweet.  Maybe roasting them with a little butter and cinnamon instead.  (I plan to try that next time) I made six individual ramekins.   I ran all the ingredients that didn't already have a count listed through the USDA National Nutrient Database here http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/  It comes out to 17.6 net carbs for the whole recipe so mine came out to 2.93 net for 6 deserts or 2.2 for 8.  

Everyone keep creating!!!  I can see a yummy holiday coming  ;) ;)

I added the pictures  :)  You can see that I didn't chop the nuts that well...LOL  Next time I will chop them smaller so that they will be spead out better.... ;)

I'm adding a new picture of the upside down pumkin pie..... these Suz and I made today and they came out much better with the smaller chopped nuts.  Very good....  ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:07:56 PM by TooSweet »

skychant

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »
Thank You All.  I am thrilled that I won!  :D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 08:00:37 AM »
Marty go to the homepage and the board is free books .Send doug a email and tell him what you want. ;)

shawn116

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 02:12:36 AM »
Jellied Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce

•1 ½ cup fresh cranberries or ½ 12 oz. package.   (*15 net carbs.)  •1 cup water
  •¾ cup xylitol
  •2 boxes of sugar free orange Jello
  •1 ½ cups of boiling water to dissolve Jello in.
  •1 small or ½ cup of plain mashed zucchini          (*1.5 net)
  •A pinch of all spice (I didn’t measure so if you must maybe 1/8th-1/4th tsp.)       (about *.5 for both spices)  •A pinch of cloves (again I didn’t measure so if you must maybe 1/8th-1/4th tsp.)

Rinse cranberries well and put in small sauce pan with the one cup of water.  Simmer for about 10 minutes to cook down.  Berries will start to burst.  Add xylitol, spices and zucchini (if using fresh just peel and slice otherwise add the mashed and continue to simmer for 15 more minutes to reduce.  Make sure you are stirring and watching that it doesn’t scorch.  Process mixture in blender or food processor and set aside.  Heat the remaining water to boil and dissolve Jello.  Mix all together and poor unto Jello molds or do like I did and clean a couple of empty cans to make it look more authentic…LOL   Let set up in the refrigerator until firm.  I think overnight would be best if you can wait that long. When ready to serve run knife around can and turn upside down.  Jelly should slide out whole. Slice and enjoy!!

This mixture filled 2 cans (I cleaned two 15oz. green bean cans) Only 17 net carbs for the whole recipe. ;D ;D

I know it sounds weird to put zucchini in this but it helps to give it some low carb bulk without having to add to many berries and you really don’t know it’s there.  I also wish I could have found some sugar free cranberry Jello but I’m not sure they make that any more.  :-\ With doing a web search I came up with nothing.  The orange is a nice flavor with it anyway.  This is really pretty good and without opening a can of the real thing to refresh my memory I believe it comes darn close…LOL  8) 8)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:47:57 PM by TooSweet »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 12:12:41 PM »
Oh my, Shawn!!!... That jellied cranberry sauce recipe sounds delish!!! ;D ;D ;D
What you do today is what matters!

joagain

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »
Send me some please that seems to hard for me to make . ;D

shawn116

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
Thanks Tony.... it really is pretty good.  I am pleased and surprised at how well it came out.   ;)

Jo I would be happy to send you some!!   I promise though if you can boil water and make Jello, you can make this.  It is that easy.  You are just cooking the fruit in water, sugar and spices for about 25 minutes and puree/blending it in a blender/food processor.  Dissolve Jello in hot water, mix together and poor into what ever mold you want to use.   ;D ;D  Yummy!!  Be careful if you use the can like I did though....  I ended up cutting myself   :'(  Ouch!!  LOL

Now if we can get a good stuffing recipe going we can be set for the holiday table.  Suz and I were working on that today.  We came up with something that was good, but I'm not sure it is what we were hoping for.  ::)  Anyone have any ideas???