Author Topic: has anyone heard of Julians Bakery?  (Read 11340 times)

darpar62

• View Profile
has anyone heard of Julians Bakery?
« on: August 06, 2012, 02:59:26 AM »
Has anyone heard of julian's Bakery? JulianBakery.com
They have several organic breads that are 1, 2 and 3 carbs. They also have Dark chocolate made with stevia and many other products. 
I have bought the bread and it's delicious.  I haven't tried anything else yet. If you have tried the bread or any of the other products I'd like to hear some reviews.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: has anyone heard of Julians Bakery?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »
Oh yes, Not long ago I received a request from a reader to explore the carb claims from Julian Bakery Breads. I contacted the bakery who claim to have 1 carb per slice and asked for a sample loaf. They sent me 2 different loaves, one claiming 1 carb per slice and another claiming 2 carbs per slice. After reading the ingredient list I immediately had doubts. I simply didn't believe their label claims based on the ingredient list.My next step was to contact the bakery again and ask for back up to label info. Instead I got a song and dance e mail here's what they said;

Doug,  Our nutritional label was carefully calculated by working with a lab and nutritionist that calculated the nutritional information of each ingredient based on the amounts we used plus the additional benefit of each grain being sprouted which aids in increased fiber and digestion of our bread. We also recommend you take a look at how our bread reacts with a Type 2 Diabetic Customer who did not see an increase in her blood sugar when eating our bread which would not be possible  if our bread was not 1 Net Carb. Please go here:  http://plainolfood.blogspot.com/2009/04/julian-bakerys-smart-carb-1-bread.html

My next step was to go to the blog and and review the testimonial, which was a year old. After reading it I asked the blog owner if her experience with the bread and her blood sugars were still a positive one after a year, she never responded. I did however receive by private e mail this response to my query;

Hi..I just read your post about Julian Bakery bread.  I personally thought it would the best thing in my diabetic life...however, when I first started buying it, I did not test after eating it...as I have been instructed to test before meals. There was no warning when I started using it. When I saw the red warning I did and one slice raised my blood glucose over 100 points.  I will not eat it again.  I used to use the Ezekiel low GI and didn't test then either, but plan to go back and try it.  Who would have thought with all whole grain and lots of fiber, it would cause such a spike..and only one slice... just wanted to speak of my experience. Thanks, Joan

It's very important to recognize that when something seems too good to be true it should be questioned. Labeling of carbs is lax and not really monitored the way you'd expect by the the FDA. Always look at the ingredients on the label when in doubt, if it's loaded with grains it turns to sugar....PERIOD...

Remember this rule, if it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck....it's a duck   ::)

For other posts on this product click here- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=147.0
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »
This is a case in point as to why it's so important to read ingredients lists as well as nutrition labels.

If I find that any of the first three listed ingredients on an ingredients list is known to be high carb (e.g. wheat, rice, bran, etc.), I don't buy the product!

Julian's Bakery bread uses deceptive carb counts on its nutrition labels.
Other food packagers out there also do it.

A word to the wise... Buyer, beware! :o
What you do today is what matters!

darpar62

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 03:12:20 PM »
thank you! I had no idea,
Darla

darpar62

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 03:36:33 PM »
Hello Doug and anyone else that can help.
I'd like to know if Carbquick baking mix is okay and also, Bob mills Baking mix. Also is the Beanut butter good? what about the walden farms peanut spread. Any help is appreciated. I'm going shopping soon and would like to have everything I need to be successful. I do have your book and have found items in there, but so far haven't been able to find much around my area.
Thank you,
Darla

Joagain

• You can have excuses or results you cant have both
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:57:18 PM »
The car quick does not raise my type 1 sons blood sugar and we love the biscuits.  It hink everyone on here said walden farms peanut spread was gross. And  I believe not sure though the bob mills baking mix is high in cabs . Hope this helps

You can have excuses or results you cant have both !

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »
Hi Darla, we use the recipes in the FTS Bakery book for all our breads, biscuits, cakes, muffins etc.... Tried and true, we designed them ourselves. We've quit using Beanit Butter and now use unsweetend I.M.Healthy soy nut butter which we sweeten with FTS Zero Sweetener....18 drops per jar.  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

darpar62

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »
Thank you all,
I think I need to buy the recipe book. I have the fat to skinny book, but not the recipe book. So, I'll be getting that next.
Thanks for all your help!!
Darla

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
Thank you all,
I think I need to buy the recipe book. I have the fat to skinny book, but not the recipe book. So, I'll be getting that next.
Thanks for all your help!!
Darla

Hi Darla! :)

Remember that with 50 posts (only 11 more at this time), you can request a free book! ;D ;D ;D
When you reach that magic number, just let Doug know which book you'd like.
What you do today is what matters!

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 06:13:24 AM »
Darla,

You can Try Healthy Life bread. Certain types have only 5 NC per slice. You can see right through the thing so it seems legit to me. Plus, it's something like 35 calories. I am trying to give up wheat and I quit eating them but I DO think they have things like flax and soy in them, which is better. It's just that you can probably only have 1 slice per day.

I make my own flax bread in slabs and put cream cheese on them for breakfast. Tasty.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »
A friend of mine bought Julian Bakery bread with low carb label and she liked it, then they later changed the labels on her bread and the carb count was actually high. Wow guess bread is not good.
I have been eating Mahler's California Lifestyle bread that has wheat gluten & wheat barley in it plus soy flour and flaxmeal. It's 6 carbs, 5 fiber. I lost weight while eating this, sometimes 6 slices a day & still lost weight.

Michaele97

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 04:24:24 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 07:24:28 AM »
I can eat Mahler's California Lifestyle bread, my daughter has to limit it because of the wheat gluten. She has fibromyalgia & Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. I took her off the bread (has gluten) & tortillas (has wheat flour) and let her eat apples(she's only 102 lbs). Now after only 2 weeks, I'm not having to give her over-the-counter pain medication. I'm more aware of her pain triggers now. Sugar alcohols are okay for her, she is not diabetic.
When she was eating carbs, taking her off wheat & gluten did no good because sugar was the culprit. Now she is on the Ketogenic plan, which is low carb and anti-inflammatory.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 10:21:15 AM »
I am glad you found what works for her ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 10:22:35 AM »
Thank you Umpa