Author Topic: This is the end of week 1...so far so good  (Read 3934 times)

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
This is the end of week 1...so far so good
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
Hi everyone. I've been reading a lot of the posts and what a lot of great information! I found the FTS book when I despaired of ever being able to lose this weight...again. Yep, I lost it before and kept it off for about 2 years and then it slowly slid back on when life got hectic. But what worked before just isn't working now. No matter what I did,  no matter how few calories, how many points, how much exercise, I just wasn't losing. And then I found FTS and I lost 4 lbs in the first 6 days. I feel good about that... Especially since I've really been enjoying the food! I've made several changes including cutting out Splenda in favor of Stevia, drinking more pure water instead of Crystal Light and logging all my food intake to track carbs. (love the ipad app for carb manager)

My first challenge is this weekend. I have a 3 day conference. And you know how they pack those things with bagels and pastries. Yikes! I've got a couple of quickie low carb snacks packed, confirmed the hotel serves some low carb options for breakfast and then I'll have to avoid the pastry cart for 3 days. Oy. Wish me luck!

shawn116

Re: This is the end of week 1...so far so good
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
Wish me luck!

Good luck tinab232 and welcome to the FTS forum family!!  It sounds like you have a good handle on things so far.  Once you get through the detox (if you already haven't) you can walk right by those pastry carts (fat pills) with no trouble  ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:50:34 AM »
Good luck, tinab! Look at making some FTS replacements to help you get through the conference, like Umpa's carrot cake, Katary's crackers, etc. If you don't have the Bakery Book, get it NOW! If you go prepared, you won't cave when everyone else is chowing down on donuts. Even though you're probably off sweets at this time, it's better to fall to FTS sweets than the fat ones.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, tinab232!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Being prepared is a big part of succeeding at anything. And FTS is no exception.
Bring along low carb foods like protein bars, beef jerky, almonds, walnuts, and pecans.

Like Toosweet said, once you get past sugar detox, ignoring pastry carts will be easy.
And until then, have low carb snacks handy to help you avoid the sugar nasties.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your FTS journey!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

ladyluck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family tinab232! I'm starting on my 2nd week and you get lots of tips on this forum. I have to go to Wedding in 2 weeks and I'm planning on taking low carb pita's and wraps with me, so I can have any protein to stick in my pita or  if we go to a hamburger place I can throw away the bun and use a wrap or pita.We will be gone 3 days so I don't want to have to worry what I have to eat the whole time, I might even throw in my GG crackers too.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:52:21 PM »
welcome tina  :) I am umpa,dougs wife.Good luck  with the conference.If I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. ;)

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:31:09 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. Support is so important when changing your lifestyle. So far so good at the conference. Fortunately for me they're serving very crappy food so I'm happy to leave for lunch on Atkins bar. And found some sashimi (no rice, no appetizer) for dinner. I actually had to eat another 1/2 of an Atkins bar because my calories were so low for the day (700) and I was getting a headache and still had to hit the elliptical. I avoided the chips but gave in to peer pressure and had a mixed drink. With diet coke. I know alcohol is a bad idea but not sure how to count a shot of bourbon. Wasn't worth it either way. How many times do you have to say I'm watching what I eat very carefully before they leave you be about eating and drinking? After that battle I needed the dang drink!! Day 2 should be better. I have the routine and already know their food sucks. :)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »
I know what you mean, Tina. I've become very blunt and just say, "I can't eat that stuff, it makes me FAT." They get a funny look on their faces because they don't know what to say next, but they quit pushing the food. I've quit being polite about it. As for the drinks, you could just stop by the bar on your way in and get a diet with a lemon garnish. No need to tell anyone that there's no alcohol in it. If you already have a drink, they can't press you to get another one. Drink it slowly. People are happy if you have a drink in your hand.

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:28:02 PM »
Here is a link about those drinks  ;)  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=10.15

Sounds like you are doing great!!  Just stick to your guns and realize that some folks just don't get it.   :-\   When they want to argue about what you aren't eating somehow I think its because it makes them feel better about eating or drinking those things if they have company doing it...LOL  Keep up the good work!!!   :)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 06:53:02 AM »
Here is a link about those drinks  ;)  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=10.15

Sounds like you are doing great!!  Just stick to your guns and realize that some folks just don't get it.   :-\   When they want to argue about what you aren't eating somehow I think its because it makes them feel better about eating or drinking those things if they have company doing it...LOL  Keep up the good work!!!   :)

Oh my gosh how true.  Last night I was taking my mom to Bingo and meeting a friend there.  I planned ahead by making the Almond crackers and some chicken salad.  I thru in a bag of the RS SF peanut butter cups.  While I was eating my crackers I shared one with my friend and my mom.  They got such surprised looks on their faces when I told them I made them...even said "no you didn't, these are really good".  Then they commented on the RS SF peanut butter cups and said "these are better than the real ones" LOL.  BUT, then my friend said "I'll be so glad when you are done with this DIET, so we can start eating regular food again, want some of my french fries?, they don't have sugar in them!" OMG OMG I told her immediately that this is NOT a diet and I will be eating this way the rest of my life so get used to it, don't push food on me that I have told you I will not eat.  I also told her you would be so surprised to know exactly how much sugar you are eating with your french fries and roast beef sandwich you are shoving in your mouth right now.  If you don't believe me then go home and google it.  Blunt, to the point and now get over it...
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 10:29:50 AM »
Haha! I had a friend tell me we need to go to Kneaders for lunch - they have great sandwiches and desserts and their bread is tdf. I gave her the dead-fish-eye and said I don't eat that stuff. She said they have great soups, too. I asked if she knew what they put in their soups - SUGAR! Finally she said, well, we'll go someplace else then. I said yes we will if I'm going to eat with you!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »
Good for you Suz!... Stick to your guns! :) :) :)

As you shrink, your friend will take you much more seriously.
What you do today is what matters!

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 06:44:17 AM »
Good for you Suz!... Stick to your guns! :) :) :)

As you shrink, your friend will take you much more seriously.

Thanks Tony,  sometimes I think that is the real problem.  My friend is seeing my results (scales aren't moving much but the clothes fit better than ever).  When I talked to my hubs about what she said he told me that it seems that I am reminding her every week how this works for me; and that I will not be changing back to my old ways of eating.  I think next week I will take Doug's book to her and let her read just how much "suga" is in her fries and sandwich  ;D ;D
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:11:59 AM »
The sugar video with the measured in the cups has a great gross out factor :D