Author Topic: Dr Oz and Weight Watchers  (Read 5685 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dr Oz and Weight Watchers
« on: February 20, 2013, 09:19:46 PM »
Just caught part of an Dr Oz episode where he spent about 20 mins 'extolling' the virtues of WW, and having back a couple who were on the show previously with weight issues and who had gone off and done WW. 

Is he the new 'face' of WW?  I was wondering if we were behind the times here downunder.  Usually his segments last 5 mins or so, but this one went on and on and on and I just wondered (bad me) how much he was getting paid for what I considered 'product placement'. 

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Oz and Weight Watchers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 09:52:26 AM »
Good point, Morgan.  Are we the only ones who recognize that he's all about the "product of the day" and that makes it impossible to tell if he has a real opinion about anything?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Dr Oz and Weight Watchers, where's the lie
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »
The reason you see this kind of activity on OZ are due to "Product Integration Segments' They are very common now on shows that we consider to be legit like Good Morning America, the Today Show, Oz and many others. What looks like a real interview is in fact a paid for commercial with the product. We are being bamboozled everyday by people w are trained to trust  >:( >:( Here's a clip from an article on product integration from Krupp Communications who as had a client involved with OZ;

" Fuller integrations offer something more. Some are pay for play and are best suited to clients who can afford to be fully involved to a show. For example, last season, we connected a client with “Dr. Oz” and his “Truth Tube” which turned into an even bigger commitment to this season’s “Transformation Nation.” The client got six branded segments on the show and online as well as a thank you from Dr. Oz for being advertisers. Most viewers would not have known it was paid – that’s the beauty of a good integrated segment."

For the full article click here- http://kruppkommunications.com/category/uncategorized/

Once again we the people are manipulated, lied to, and fooled I think it sucks!  >:( >:(
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
I agree, Doug!

This practice is widespread and reprehensible.
But it should be of no surprise... The media is all about making $$$.
And also about promoting a political agenda.

It was not long ago, this sort of thing would have been stopped dead in its tracks.
But sadly, our "All about ME" and "What can others do for ME" culture has caused it to not only go on, but become MUCH bigger.  :(

Tony

What you do today is what matters!

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 12:33:25 PM »
caveat emptor.... does anyone really think a tv talk show host is trying to do anything other than sell product?  Perhaps this Oz guy had integrity at one point.  Perhaps his heart and head were in the right place.  However, once he had to consistently attract paid advertisers, that all went out the window.  At least when we see commercials during a drama or comedy, we know that they are trying to get us to do something (or buy something).  However, when infotainment shows like GMA, Today, Oz, Oprah, etc, tout the latest and greatest product or system, they are just paid spokespeople.  What I don't understand is why people still think otherwise.  Today and GMA are not news programs and Dr. Oz is not a medical program.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 04:18:51 PM »
OZ was a creation by by Oprah who mastered the methods  >:(

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: Dr Oz and Weight Watchers
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 05:10:32 AM »
Wow! That's crazy si that means that his a marketing machine and how much then is caring for the people in reality? :'(

Dieter no longer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:44:18 AM »
I totally agree with all about Dr. Oz.  I really liked his show at first but as time went on it was less about natural remedies and more about pushing various things that you can buy and the particular products for purchase.  Remember green coffee beans and reverasol.  I have no idea how to spell that.  He is no longer relevant and principled as far as I am concerned.  I no longer can stand the sight of him.  Needless I NEVER watch his show.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 03:56:47 PM »
I stopped watching his show.  Much too overwhelming w/ contradicting episodes. I confess, I still look online on his website for beauty tips from items already in my house, lol.

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »
I stopped watching his show.  Much too overwhelming w/ contradicting episodes. I confess, I still look online on his website for beauty tips from items already in my house, lol.

Hi everyone -- I agree with all your opinions, and Morgan I'm so glad you brought this topic off.  Like Susie above I had started noticing what he promoted one week he would UNpromote the next week -- very contradicing if you watch frequently.  I also did not like the agenda he pushed.  I do think he started off well-meaning.....and you're right -- he as "discovered" and "promoted" by Oprah who made him a success (and she did the same thing to introduce us to our current president then she pulled back during the campaign so that her promotion would not be obvious). 

It's the same sell sell sell philosophy that brought us the "eat Wonder bread, it's good for you" ads in our childhood.  And look at the health effects we've all had to deal with as a result. 

I'll say though I first became dissatisfied with Dr. Oz when he was majorly rude to Gary Taubes when Taubes was on his show talking about low carb.  He recently did have Dr. Davis on about the problems with the GMO wheat that has been grown and promoted by the AD Machine. 

You're right above when you said GMA and Today are not news shows, and Dr. Oz is not a medical show. 

I don't trust anyone who promotes Weights Watchers (less than 5% success rate), or any type of Calories/Points in vs. Calories/Points Out. 

My two cents.....good topic. 

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 04:04:37 AM »
I was furious Elizabeth when he (Oz) try to make Gary Taubs like he was an idiot for speaking the truth about Carbs.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 09:27:49 AM »
Dieter no longer welcome to the forum. I am Umpa,Dougs wife.If I can help you please ask ;)

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 02:03:00 AM »
What do you mean dieter is not welcome umpa? What happened?

shawn116

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 08:11:57 AM »
What do you mean dieter is not welcome umpa? What happened?

No worries Jay   ;D  Their FTS screen name is "Dieter no longer".  Everyone is welcome in the FTS family....except for spammers that is  ;)  Umpa is just welcoming them to the forum  :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 09:15:30 AM »
That's funny Jay :) Hey there "dieter no longer" welcome to the family!