Author Topic: Bacon Carbs  (Read 1966 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bacon Carbs
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:52:28 AM »
If someone could help.  The carbs in bacon - everyone here treats bacon as 0 carbs.  On the packaging here in Australia the carbs are variable to say the least.  I was buying one brand when I read the labelling and it stated that 100g was 1.2c (I was blissfully thinking all bacon was 0), be that as it may I was quite willing to add it to my daily carbs (along with the heavy whipping cream/pure cream here which is 0.6 or 0.7/20ml - unlike yours at 0 carbs) - all these incidentals just add up during the day I tell ya.  I bought a different brand yesterday thinking it would be same carb count - silly me  :P  this one states that 100g is equivalent to 3.7 carbs (there is no dietary fibre listed on either to subtract   :( ).
The calories, protein, fat, etc are almost identical between the 2 brands, also the ingredients.  I did learn an interesting fact though - who would have thought they put sugar in bacon?  not I.  Listed as the 4th ingredient is sucrose (cane sugar). 

Am I missing something here? or do I just go by the labelling? 
Are Australia's packaging rules more stringent (picky picky picky) that they state in such detail?
Are they right or wrong.?   HELP HELP HELP

Accordingly - for all you who have low carbs for breakfast if you are having say bacon (0)and eggs (say 1 at 0.7), plus a cup of coffee (1) and cream (0) = 1.7 for me would be bacon (3.7) and egg (0.7) plus coffee (1) and cream (0.7) = 6.  A bit of a difference wouldn't you say.  No wonder my carbs add up so quick.

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Bacon Carbs
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:54:54 AM »
Are you buying maple bacon? That is where I noticed sugar listed here on ours? Is it pork bacon or turkey bacon?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bacon Carbs
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »
You have to be careful with whole hams and bacon.Its the curing process they use.You can usually taste the sugar and it is also listed in the ingredient list ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »
Bacon varies here as well, we have sugar cured and maple syrup cured bacon which contain carbs...same with ham. You need to find the lowest you can Morgan and stick with that brand :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:36:17 AM »
Yes it takes a bit of looking here to Morgan.  Sometimes it is a real challenge to find products that are in the low carb range.  Hams are tough for me to find.   :-\

I might also add that you shouldn't assume the product won't change their label either.  Always look before you buy.  Just recently I called a manufacture about a discrepency in their label and they told me that they corrected the problem, but were using the wrong packaging up first before they change it out.   :o :o :o   I can't believe they allow them to do things like that  ???  I wonder if Australia is much different...

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:16:58 PM »
We don't have maple or sugar cured bacon here that I have come across anyhow.  It is pork bacon and it is all the same (well obviously not same as carb counts differ) meaning that it is not 'fancy', just boring prepackaged bacon rashers.  I agree TooSweet - I keep forgetting to check labels when I pick up something I have used consistently, because they do change the info with no warning at all.  Oh well more time spent in the refrigeration section reading all the labels.
Thanks all.